Interesting report on Russell Wilson

Grove Sh*tter

Aug 25, 2014
I read he waived his no-trade clause of his contract in favor of the Giants, broncos, or saints. I know there are many saints fans here. I would be excited for New Orleans to get him. He's one of my favorite non-msu pros.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I read he waived his no-trade clause of his contract in favor of the Giants, broncos, or saints. I know there are many saints fans here. I would be excited for New Orleans to get him. He's one of my favorite non-msu pros.

I wouldn't be looking to give up a lot to get him already having Jameis. Wilson is a better qb but Im not sure he is a *lot* better at this point.

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
Meh, he's past his prime and doesn't have much left in the tank. There's a reason the Hawks are looking to move on from him and their backup is Geno Smith.

I mean he's better than anybody the Saints have right now, but this season is shot. I'd wait till the offseason and set my sights a little higher.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Wilson has some age but also super bowl experience. Saints need a super bowl qb because the defense is pretty good. I’m not sure if healthy Jameis that good. That or roll with Jamies and wait on draft. Payton may not hang around long enough to find out

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

New Orleans doesn’t fit so well with the other two teams. Denver and NYG are both loaded at the skill positions for the next 4 years or so…..great supporting casts. New Orleans…not so much. They have Kamara who is great, but starting to show a little wear and tear, but are about to move on from Michael Thomas. Not a lot of elite talent beyond those guys. Wonder what his attraction is….maybe he just wants to work with Payton.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I think he's still got 3-4 good years left. I believe he's started every game of his career until this year, and this will be only the second year they've missed the playoffs. Not a lot of QBs have that kind of experience.

I've never considered him one of the top 2-3 QBs in the league but he's been solid as a rock and very consistent for a long time.

Grove Sh*tter

Aug 25, 2014
He's one of the great Cinderella stories of the last 10 years. Not unlike Dak, he was a 3rd stringer except that Carroll elevated him to qb1 out of training camp bc he was simply the best talent (whereas Dak took over due to injuries).

He's only 33 and since he's had a down year, he could represent some serious value in a trade this off season, in my view.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Meh, he's past his prime and doesn't have much left in the tank. There's a reason the Hawks are looking to move on from him and their backup is Geno Smith.

I mean he's better than anybody the Saints have right now, but this season is shot. I'd wait till the offseason and set my sights a little higher.

Trade deadline has passed. This is about the offseason

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
New Orleans doesn’t fit so well with the other two teams. Denver and NYG are both loaded at the skill positions for the next 4 years or so…..great supporting casts. New Orleans…not so much. They have Kamara who is great, but starting to show a little wear and tear, but are about to move on from Michael Thomas. Not a lot of elite talent beyond those guys. Wonder what his attraction is….maybe he just wants to work with Payton.

New Orleans has by far the best oline of the 3. With Russell getting murdered every game, I'm sure oline matters much. Regardless, I'd pass on Wilson

ETA... Thomas has 22.7 dead cap in 2022. He'll be a saint fill at least 2023

Last edited:

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
The Saints really screwed themselves in Drew's last few years. Mortgaging the farm trying to get back to the superbowl. I don't blame them but its gonna be a struggle getting it back on its feet

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
I think you’ll see the Saints bring in Darnold as a cheap backup and then go with Bridgewater, Garropollo or Tua (if they trade for Watson) as the hopeful starter

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018

Giants have Toney who has shown flashes but who else really? Shepherd is pretty good but he can’t stay healthy and his contract will get him cut this off-season. Galloday is stealing money at this point. Barkley is back on the injury report again and hasn’t looked that good even when he plays, which isn’t much. Engram has been a big disappointment.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
Saints need receivers way more than a qb. I'm not a saints fan and have only watched a couple of their games this year, but their receivers are worse than bad. One game I watched they had 11 drops in the first half.

tatedog

Mar 28, 2015
Sean Payton + Russell Wilson is a winner.

Pete Carroll is possibly the most overrated coach in the NFL, assuming anyone still thinks he is good.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Giants have Toney who has shown flashes but who else really? Shepherd is pretty good but he can’t stay healthy and his contract will get him cut this off-season. Galloday is stealing money at this point. Barkley is back on the injury report again and hasn’t looked that good even when he plays, which isn’t much. Engram has been a big disappointment.

Shepherd, Golladay, Slayton. They were loaded at WR before they even drafted Toney. Yes, they’ve had injury problems across the board but when healthy they have all the pieces on offense besides QB and OL.

Last edited:

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
I think you’ll see the Saints bring in Darnold as a cheap backup and then go with Bridgewater, Garropollo or Tua (if they trade for Watson) as the hopeful starter

If those are the realistic options (having trouble believing it though), then I'd take a declining Wilson

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login