Interesting take - Dabo Says CFB Should Be Blown Up.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-there-needs-complete-blowup-college-football

"I think there's going to be a complete blowup ... especially in football, and there needs to be," Swinney told ESPN. "I think eventually there will be some type of break and another division. Right now, you got everybody in one group, and it's not feasible. Alabama has different problems than Middle Tennessee, but we're trying to make them all the same and it's just not. I think you'll have 40 or 50 teams and a commissioner and here are the rules."

I think he makes a good point here:

Swinney, entering his 14th season as Clemson head coach, said it's a good thing that players can cash in on their name, image and likeness once they get to school and have a "platform" but added that it's nonsensical to think that the current NIL rules weren't going to be used as a recruiting incentive.
"There's no rules, no guidance, no nothing," Swinney said. "It's out of control. It's not sustainable. It's an absolute mess and a train wreck, and the kids are going to be the ones who suffer in the end. There are going to be a lot of kids that end up with no degrees and make decisions based on the wrong things."

patdog

May 28, 2007
I saw that last night. I think he's right. I just hope we're one of the haves and not one of the have nots. It might be pretty close. If there's 60 teams, we're in. If there's 30, we're probably out.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
There is no in or out. Even if they make up this new league, they can't stop the other schools from having football. If they have football they can't change the NIL. They can't go back to the old ways.

As I have said before, the only path is to accept that you are the training ground for the NFL and NBA and MLB for a smaller part and train those people involved with that part of your school to be the best they can be in their chosen path. Teach them what they need to know to not make bad decisions. Give them the best education for them to succeed in their path.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The sooner we accept this is an official entertainment business like NFL Jr the better.

Salary cap, draft, trade deadlines, agents, etc

It's got to get there and out of the wild wild west. The NCAA oversight is selectively judicial and then passive on other schools.

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
This NIL mess and whatever else comes down the pike like it is screwing everything up. They need to give a set salary to each player, nothing ridiculous and everyone gets paid the same.

I never thought that I would lose interest in college football, but it is happening.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
It will come down one day probably fairly soon between MSU and Ole Miss as to which school competes in the league with the big boys and which school competes with Southern Miss. I dont think the SEC, as we know it will exist in 10 years.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-there-needs-complete-blowup-college-football

"I think there's going to be a complete blowup ... especially in football, and there needs to be," Swinney told ESPN. "I think eventually there will be some type of break and another division. Right now, you got everybody in one group, and it's not feasible. Alabama has different problems than Middle Tennessee, but we're trying to make them all the same and it's just not. I think you'll have 40 or 50 teams and a commissioner and here are the rules."

I think he makes a good point here:

Swinney, entering his 14th season as Clemson head coach, said it's a good thing that players can cash in on their name, image and likeness once they get to school and have a "platform" but added that it's nonsensical to think that the current NIL rules weren't going to be used as a recruiting incentive.
"There's no rules, no guidance, no nothing," Swinney said. "It's out of control. It's not sustainable. It's an absolute mess and a train wreck, and the kids are going to be the ones who suffer in the end. There are going to be a lot of kids that end up with no degrees and make decisions based on the wrong things."

People have been talking about this concept for years. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but this isn’t exactly groundbreaking commentary.

Bruce is right. It doesn’t have any impact on who plays football or not. The same power programs would still get the prime TV slots and a spot in the playoffs.

The good news for SEC schools is that if it happens anytime soon, their commissioner has more power than anyone else. As long as Sankey is around, he will go to bat for those he reports to.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Went to Saban’s clinic the last few days. He talked about NIL last night. While he said there are good things about it, he isn’t a fan of how it’s being used. Not a fan at all. But he didn’t mention anything about the GT rb he got, Jamo, or To’o To’o

patdog

May 28, 2007
It really won’t affect the G5 schools much. But If a P5 school doesn’t make the cut, they’ll most certainly be “out” of getting $40MM + distribution checks.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Just lower tuition significantly for everyone and start paying athletes already. Do away with NIL.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Lord I hope not. Cause we’d be screwed. But I really think if one of us doesn’t make the cut, the other one won’t either. More than likely, we’ll both be fine.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
And this is why a school in our position needs a real professional heading up our athletic department. We're in the SEC and may "survive" because of that but we're the runt of the litter and to reach and maintain even middle-of-the-pack status we're gonna have to be smarter and more aggressive in every aspect of program management and marketing than the rest. We're nowhere near that right now.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
People have been talking about this concept for years. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but this isn’t exactly groundbreaking commentary.

Bruce is right. It doesn’t have any impact on who plays football or not. The same power programs would still get the prime TV slots and a spot in the playoffs.

The good news for SEC schools is that if it happens anytime soon, their commissioner has more power than anyone else. As long as Sankey is around, he will go to bat for those he reports to.

Bruce is right about something else. They're not being taught how to handle money or handle themselves when they move into this new part of their life for being a star athlete. Like someone said below there needs to be people who are used to dealing with professionals in every school helping with this or else somebody is going to get their butt in a sling or we're gonna end up with a huge mess.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
That GT Portal RB is already making big waves in T-town.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
It needs to be blown up because there's a lot of stuff that's just wrong and crazy and doesn't make sense. There's a transfer portal and money and bureaucracy and everyone isn't on the same page and everyone is doing their own thing and nobody knows what's going on and things aren't right and it's getting ridiculous and college football is getting turned upside down and Alabama is Alabama and here are some vague generalizations followed by more vague generalizations about something or other so be creative and turn this into an article without solutions to what's wrong about college football. And you can quote me on that.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Just lower tuition significantly for everyone and start paying athletes already. Do away with NIL.

Posted this a few weeks ago, but I think the best move is to say everyone can have a scholarship or an NIL deal, but nobody can have both, and both do count to the 25 / 85 limits in football (as well as the limits for every other sport).

Therefore, if you land an NIL contract, you can pay your own way….even if you get injured a year later and lose everything. That way, you aren’t limiting a SA from making money in any way (thus abiding by the Supreme Court opinion), but you are forcing them to make the choice on what matters to them and thus preventing this ridiculous circus we have now where they are getting a $100,000 education and a $100,000 annual salary at the same time.

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
Posted this a few weeks ago, but I think the best move is to say everyone can have a scholarship or an NIL deal, but nobody can have both, and both do count to the 25 / 85 limits in football (as well as the limits for every other sport).

Therefore, if you land an NIL contract, you can pay your own way….even if you get injured a year later and lose everything. That way, you aren’t limiting a SA from making money in any way (thus abiding by the Supreme Court opinion), but you are forcing them to make the choice on what matters to them and thus preventing this ridiculous circus we have now where they are getting a $100,000 education and a $100,000 annual salary at the same time.

The Supreme Court did more than make an opinion, the Supreme Court established the law on NIL. This forces all subordinate courts to administer the new law as subordinate courts. The Supreme Court ruled on personal business transactions between an athlete and business organization or associate. The disbursal of money thru a college and athlete was not even discussed so understand the difference. Any act which diminishes a vested right of an athlete and sponsor has to be acted upon in accordance with SCOUS. If the NCAA acts on NIL between a college and athlete it will be observed. If any State or NCAA try to impede a vested right of an athlete and business outside the disbursal of money within a program, every court in the US is jurisdiction ally bound to enforce the Supreme Courts rulings. The NCAA or colleges have their hands tied on any personal NIL transaction, they have discretion on college disbursement of funds, not personal disbursements.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
There is no in or out. Even if they make up this new league, they can't stop the other schools from having football. If they have football they can't change the NIL. They can't go back to the old ways.

As I have said before, the only path is to accept that you are the training ground for the NFL and NBA and MLB for a smaller part and train those people involved with that part of your school to be the best they can be in their chosen path. Teach them what they need to know to not make bad decisions. Give them the best education for them to succeed in their path.

Ask Southern Miss if they are good with being on the outside looking in. They have football and they have NIL possibilities, yet they would switch places with a P5 school in a heartbeat.
This, and countless other examples, means there is a difference and not being included will make a difference.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
What I mean by in or out is that you can't make any rules about NIL so it is here whether you are big or small. That genie is never going back in the bottle.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If you're not in the P5 (or whatever its successor is), or a hot female, there's just not going to be much NIL money out there for you. That's a non-factor as far as closing the gap between the mid-tier schools and the big schools. In fact, it just widens the gap because there's that much more money available to the big schools now.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It will come down one day probably fairly soon between MSU and Ole Miss as to which school competes in the league with the big boys and which school competes with Southern Miss. I dont think the SEC, as we know it will exist in 10 years.

If it comes down the State and Ole Miss, we'd likely be screwed, but I think that the "haves" (Bama, UGA, etc.) want to ensure they have plenty of "middling opponents" in close proximity. Therefore we'd both probably be in.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Expand the playoff. That's a necessity.

Even if they cut FBS in half, they still need to expand the playoff in order to reach the same percentages as FCS, DII or DIII. And the NCAA basketball and baseball tournaments. 20% is less than those, and if we have a 60 team FBS, that's still 15 (so essentially 16) teams.

16 is where we should be right now, to start. Then make a decision about the G5. I guarantee you, they will all choose to stay FBS rather than splitting.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It needs to be blown up because there's a lot of stuff that's just wrong and crazy and doesn't make sense. There's a transfer portal and money and bureaucracy and everyone isn't on the same page and everyone is doing their own thing and nobody knows what's going on and things aren't right and it's getting ridiculous and college football is getting turned upside down and Alabama is Alabama and here are some vague generalizations followed by more vague generalizations about something or other so be creative and turn this into an article without solutions to what's wrong about college football. And you can quote me on that.

I think we are going to see a spending war between A&M and University of Texas. That will get out of hand causing politicians to step in and make laws.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I went to A&M for a football game one weekend years ago with a big time Aggie. We spent some time riding around campus and he pointed out several very impressive buildings scattered about that were built not necessarily for need but to "keep up" with UT. Their "spending wars" have been going on for ages and NIL will just be pouring gas on the fire. The wealth is unimaginable.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
The NCAA knows where it gets its bread buttered. The Big $ programs pay the bills and get the red carpet treatment. I agree with Dabo's assessment because college football that I grew up with no longer exists. This is a demographic satifying entertainment industry and it should be treated as such. Let's have the players come out spellling something in formation before each game! Let's have fireworks and miniature ponies on the sidelines. We've got to do something to get the attention needed to keep the sport afloat at State!

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I still believe that the ultimate goal of the people who forced this stuff in is to destroy college athletics. That is exactly what it's going to do. It will probably still be around but it's not going to be college athletics. I'm rapidly coming to the point I could care less.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
There absolutely can be an in or an out as it pertains to an elite league.

And Dabo is right. If they don’t figure out a system, the kids will suffer the most.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I didn't pay attention to RBs much unless it was in pass skel but he was a specimen. Milroe the RFr QB was pretty impressive and a big dude. Bryce Young isn't close to his listed 6'. Saban is even smaller than I thought.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
For some reason Texas and Texas A&M have all this money and can attract the best athletes of their choosing and yet neither have won anything for a long time. I am sure it's more complicated that just one thing and has several contributing factors.

Some people say it's the 7 on 7 pass first style that makes 'em soft. That may be part of it because playing on and against a power run team does develop a different skills and mentality especially on defense and the OL.

Some think it's the rating system of bumping up teams with large fan bases like teams in Texas or Bama. We have all heard the Bama Bump before right?

I think it's more than any of those things. Yes, they may contribute but I think Texas puts so much emphasis on high school football that many TX players are closer to maximizing their skill sets in high school. Once they get to college, they don't get better training or diets. They have already been getting that training. Sure, that can make them look better and get a higher rating but after a couple years of proper training a three star guy may blow right by those guys physically and skill wise.

I see a guy like Percy Lewis that we just got from Juco. He was from a 1A school and went unrecruited out of high school. He may end up being as good as any in the country before he comes out of college.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Once he takes over for Saban and sees the amount of NIL $$ available to buy players there he'll change his mind and be all for it

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What I mean by in or out is that you can't make any rules about NIL so it is here whether you are big or small. That genie is never going back in the bottle.

Sure it is here regardless of the size of school, but that is missing a lot of key factors.
- smaller conference schools simply dont land nearly as many elite players, therefore NIL is reduced in importance.
- smaller conference schools are not marketed or broadcast as much, therefore NIL is reduced in importance.
- smaller conference schools do not have access to national media as much, therefore NIL is reduced in importance.

Each of those adds to the prior and NIL is reduced further with each layer.
Again, this is why if you ask Southern Miss or Tulsa or UAB if they would switch places with Mizzou, they would switch immediately. You need to be in the group that is leading the way, or you will be left behind.

You are correct that everyone has equal access to NIL, but that doesnt matter. Equal access doesnt result in equal opportunity.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I was a religious Olympics fan before it became professional

I still believe that the ultimate goal of the people who forced this stuff in is to destroy college athletics. That is exactly what it's going to do. It will probably still be around but it's not going to be college athletics. I'm rapidly coming to the point I could care less.

Now the Olympics are dead to me. Could care less if they decided to shut it down. If college sports continue moving in its present direction it could die the same fate IMHO.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
He's doing ok at Clemson with the $$. He may have lost one of his biggest donors and that's why it is an issue now.

Ultimately, he is right. There's only a few teams competing for the NC. The rest of us are just fodder for the high dollar programs. I predicted this when Saban was hired at Bummer. I knew that college football as we knew it was on its way out because of his patented recruiting "system". Forbes even did an article on him. He was just a mining journeyman in search of the almighty dollar after realizing he couldn't stack the deck in the pros like he did at LSU.

So, do we create a league with about 20 teams and let them fight it out for the Over $100M NC?
Create another league for the 40 teams that are over $50M player payroll and let them have their NC?
Create another league for the rest that are under $50M player payroll?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
For some reason Texas and Texas A&M have all this money and can attract the best athletes of their choosing and yet neither have won anything for a long time. I am sure it's more complicated that just one thing and has several contributing factors.

Some people say it's the 7 on 7 pass first style that makes 'em soft. That may be part of it because playing on and against a power run team does develop a different skills and mentality especially on defense and the OL.

Some think it's the rating system of bumping up teams with large fan bases like teams in Texas or Bama. We have all heard the Bama Bump before right?

I think it's more than any of those things. Yes, they may contribute but I think Texas puts so much emphasis on high school football that many TX players are closer to maximizing their skill sets in high school. Once they get to college, they don't get better training or diets. They have already been getting that training. Sure, that can make them look better and get a higher rating but after a couple years of proper training a three star guy may blow right by those guys physically and skill wise.

I see a guy like Percy Lewis that we just got from Juco. He was from a 1A school and went unrecruited out of high school. He may end up being as good as any in the country before he comes out of college.
The difference now is that Jimbo realizes this, and he's gone outside of the Texas borders to get guys. They went out and got the top DLs in Florida, Tennessee, Georgia and Arizona. There's no doubt that they are on the path of transforming and getting away from that soft Texas style of play.

Even with all that, the big equalizer is the transfer portal. You can only play so many guys, and two years in, a big portion of those guys will be going elsewhere.

That's where we come in. Of course, we will lose our depth guys too, to the G5 most likely. But it should result in us gaining more talent overall.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
He's doing ok at Clemson with the $$. He may have lost one of his biggest donors and that's why it is an issue now.

Ultimately, he is right. There's only a few teams competing for the NC. The rest of us are just fodder for the high dollar programs. I predicted this when Saban was hired at Bummer. I knew that college football as we knew it was on its way out because of his patented recruiting "system". Forbes even did an article on him. He was just a mining journeyman in search of the almighty dollar after realizing he couldn't stack the deck in the pros like he did at LSU.

So, do we create a league with about 20 teams and let them fight it out for the Over $100M NC?
Create another league for the 40 teams that are over $50M player payroll and let them have their NC?
Create another league for the rest that are under $50M player payroll?
Well it's never been fair, you just have to find a way to make it slightly more equitable. Pro sports really isn't 'fair', they just have a draft to make it appear that way. And it works, for the most part. I mean you can go down to your local rec sports park and see where they have a draft, but one or two coaches always find a way to stack a team. But at least it's fair-ER than college sports.

I don't know the answer, maybe it lies in high school recruit education? They don't ALL have to go to the best programs. They could get more playing time elsewhere, so not sure why they keep falling for Saban's and Alabama's BS about playing "winning football". You can do that in many places. The reason he's winning is because he has the best players.

That said, obviously Saban is a good recruiter, so I'll give him credit for that, and being an outstanding fundamental football coach.

The portal is going to help, though. I think we end up seeing the true results of that starting this year. Weren't really enough transfers last year to really affect much.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login