Interesting tidbit from Greg Byrne last night

Jan 13, 2008
He was on Swindoll's radio show and said that the fund raising for the basketball practice facility is underway. He said that it was essential to have this and that Rick (and Fanning) deserves to have this for the progression of both programs. He is extremely sharp and had a definite plan on what we need to do to stay competitive and become more competitive in the SEC.

Jan 13, 2008
He was on Swindoll's radio show and said that the fund raising for the basketball practice facility is underway. He said that it was essential to have this and that Rick (and Fanning) deserves to have this for the progression of both programs. He is extremely sharp and had a definite plan on what we need to do to stay competitive and become more competitive in the SEC.

G

Goat Holder

and it may be stupid. But with all the "home court advantage" that there is said to be in basketball, why would we want to practice anywhere but our own home court, where we actually play?

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________But with all the "home court advantage" that there is said to be in basketball, why would we want to practice anywhere but our own home court, where we actually play? _________________________________________________

Really?

Wow.

MSUArrowCS

Dec 19, 2006
I wonder if Kevin Stallings does his practices by whistling and yelling from underneath the goal? Especially when practicing for the first half ...

G

Goat Holder

**** just looks weird, and has to be a little uncomfortable for opposing players.

Jan 13, 2008
From what I've been told, you use the basketball practice facility obviously for practice, but you use it as a recruiting tool. If Stansbury can get the talent to Starkville without the necessary resources, what do you think he could do with a BPF? He would no longer have to move practice to the Sanderson Center when the Oktibbeha(sp) high school science fair is in the Hump. This is the next step that the program has to take, besides advancing further into the dance.

G

Goat Holder

They say recruiting now is a battle of the facilities, so I can see that. I didn't know they had to share that must time with other activities.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
haha...just effing with you Goat.

I think it's as easy as saying the intangibles are what create a homecourt advantage...not the actual court. The crowd and atmosphere (among other things) are what give a team an edge.

Remember the Texas game several years ago? Techinically, Texas was not on their homecourt...but obviously, with the game in the state of Texas and their fans filling the arena...they clearly had a homecourt advantage.

Xartox

May 28, 2007
Maybe because home court advantage has a lot more to do with the home atmosphere of the crowd than it does the actual court you are playing on?

Unless of course you are Vandy and have a <17>ed up court.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
In most cases, yes. But in places like Vandy and the Pyramid in Memphis, before Memphis moved to the Forum, the back drop had a lot to do with the advantage. When the area behind the backboard is unorthodox, it can throw a shooter off, giving an extra home court advantage, so I understand what Goat is saying.

The Hump doesn't have weird views though, so I'd say that your home court advantage has less to do with comfort in the arena and more to do with atmosphere.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Excellent first step for Byrne. Rick has had the most consistently good program this decade, he deserves a practice facility. Big difference already between our current AD and our previous AD with how Rick is treated.

Porkchop.sixpack

Jan 23, 2007
by virtually anything. Concerts, circuses, etc.

Fundraising for the practice facility has been underway for sometime. This isn't a Greg Byrne new initiative.

SnakePlissken

Feb 24, 2008
Quote:_________________________________________________Fundraising for the practice facility has been underway for sometime._________________________________________________
You just gave a perfect example of failure by the previous administration. I bet 99.9% on here never knew there is fund raiser going on right now for a basketball facility.

Jan 13, 2008
Rick came out to the 120 club in Jackson about a year ago. After the speech, you get a chance to talk to the speaker as they come through the crowd. Rick was talking to someone about LT. He said he was glad for the money the 120 club raises and how he couldn't do it with them. He said that he wanted to get a new microwave for the coaches office in the Hump. LT said it wasn't in the budget. Rick went out and bought one with his own money. Do we not have 200 bucks to buy this for the most sucessful coach on our campus? The disdain of Stansbury by LT is almost grounds for firing itself. Greg Byrne is channeling areas for raising money for a BPF and LT won't buy a microwave. I am 26 years old and have almost always backed LT. His *** needs to be gone last week. Thank God Byrne is coming in. LT ought to be washing Meo's car twice a week and dressing the kids for school for the way he's acted to Rick.

Jan 13, 2008
I knew that fundraising was going on, but it wasn't made very public by LT. Bryne will get the word out there. Also, it seems like there was a big push and big news about it for like a month, then it seemed like it went to the backburner. A lameduck AD might not be quite as aggressive and a 36 year old one coming in with a lot of fire.

Porkchop.sixpack

Jan 23, 2007
get a large lead donation before starting the public stage of the fundraising effort.

I don't know if they found one, or if they never got one and are going public without it.

I agree Greg will probably do a better job of this. But, I doubt he will follow a different prescribed methodology on large efforts than trying to find an initial large donation and then going public.

Porkchop.sixpack

Jan 23, 2007
lot of perspectives:

1. They weren't speaking.
2. If you are a boss, you shouldn't permit an employee not to speak to you. Rather than put up with that, you should fire the person if that is the only alternative. Obviously sitting down and discussing the problem is a better alternative.
3. If you are a boss, you shouldn't foster a situation where an employee doesn't want to speak to you.
4. As a boss, it is childish not to speak to one of your employees, and a horrible breach of your duty.
5. As an employee, it is horribly disrespectful not to speak to your boss -- no matter what. If you are going to do that, you should just quit.

FlabLoser

Aug 20, 2006
If Stans or any visiting coach didn't want to sit behind the net, what's to stop them from setting up shop on the "sidelines" as it he case with every other basketball locale? Can the home team really dictate where the visiting team puts their bench?

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________I bet 99.9% on here never knew there is fund raiser going on right now for a basketball facility. _________________________________________________

You nailed it Snake...I had no clue.

oem

Feb 23, 2008
Most of these facilities that have been built around the country have someone's name on them.

If one gets built at MSU, it will have someone's name on it, too.

How about Porkchop Center?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
it ensures that our basketball team has a place to practice everyday without being nomads on campus. They can't use the Hump everyday b/c its used so much.

Home court advantage has less to do with facility and more to do with the fact that teams simply play at a higher level in front of their own people.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
why not build an facility for concerts and science fairs and the like? Let the bball teams have sole possession of the Hump?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
capacity need is for all the stuff in the Hump outside of graduation. Having said that, I agree. If everything but graduation can be hosted in a facility like you speak of then that's a good idea. You would only be taking the basketball team's facility away 2-4 days a year depending on how long it takes to get ready and clean up from graduation.

Optimus Prime 4

May 1, 2006
and we've got over 7 million raised now I think. Like you said, they got a good chunk before they started asking big time.

FlabLoser

Aug 20, 2006
The American Airlines Center in Dallas is pretty much the Cadillac of arenas. It seats 18,000-19,000 depending on the configuration. It has all the stringent HVAC and floor-freezer requirements for ice hockey. It has an basketball practice facility. Everything about it is super well done.

Price - $420 million

Now I have no clue if building prices scale linearly with size. Probably not. But we probably need half of what the AAC is.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I was throwing out a number.

The RBC Center, home to NC State and some pro/semi pro teams cost 158 million

The colonial center, home to south carolina, cost 64 million.

Edit: And holy hell, it appears that Louisville is getting a new home in downtown. The arena will cost 249 mill.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
when the public fundraising stage of the Palmeiro and Holliman Centers really took off?

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
if we have gone as far as having some drawings made? Otherwise, how do you know how much it will cost?

Garciacamebackadawg

Feb 23, 2008
that take place on campus. When they have basketball camps they have to schedule around the womens' and vice versa. Of course it has already been mentioned, but recruiting tool, also.

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005
with anything you post, that I am dumbfounded at my own sense of inner turmoil for saying this. But, you nailed the hell outta that one.

I had not a f'n clue there was an organized fundraiser under way.

C

Cains Major

but I attended my nephews, HS graduation there. I realize that was not conflicting with BB, but shows a lot of use. I like the C34 idea about just building a facility for other stuff, and using the Hump for BB only.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login