Investment for my 12 year old son?

Mts68

Aug 22, 2012
Buy a weed eater and go door to door. No one wants to use a weed eater.
I asked my dad for money one time I was home on break. He gave me his push mower and a weed eater and said buy your own blower. Wouldn’t call it an investment, and I’m not sure why i threw My two cents in, but it was a perfect $40 here, $50 there, beer money creator.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Custodian ROTH IRA is a good way to go. They will need some earn income. It can be working in the yard or something else. You have to find a company that offers it, and you will probably need more than 60 bucks to start. Anytime going forwards if they have earned income, you could make the contribution for them. Great way to save for college. You can get the principle out at any time without Government Taxes or penalty. there could be some surrender charges for a certain number of years depending on company. But you will get past those at a early age. Some of these Accountants on this board could speak more about them.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
Yep- first thing I want to do for my son is a Custodial Roth when he's old enough to get a job.

One time contribution- for me, it would be a Vanguard account. VOO probably and just set and forget it.

Reactions: dorndawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Congrats to your son! Good opportunity to learn about money, distributed systems, self-custody, etc.

Screen Shot 2024-07-23 at 7.36.19 PM.png

It will be fun to check back in five years:

Screen Shot 2024-07-23 at 7.35.13 PM.png

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
My oldest wants to invest $60 of his birthday money. Where is the best place for that?
Schwab let's you do a custodial account - will become the minor's property when they hit either 18 or 21, depending on the state. I did one for my kids (a nonretirement account) and it allows you to buy stock "slivers" for as little as 100 bucks. My youngest took a finance/econ class a few years ago and wanted to start investing, so I started hers and for 100 bucks a month she divided it 30% AMD, 30% Apple, 40% NVida. She's had a pretty good run the last 6 months or so.

My dad bought my oldest a share of Apple for $200 when she was born, 19 years ago and put it in a custodial account, reinvesting dividends. Age here in TN for her to take over the account is 21. She's going to have about 30K in that account, and it hasn't been touched since he started it.

Reactions: ZombieKissinger

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Custodian ROTH IRA is a good way to go. They will need some earn income. It can be working in the yard or something else. You have to find a company that offers it, and you will probably need more than 60 bucks to start. Anytime going forwards if they have earned income, you could make the contribution for them. Great way to save for college. You can get the principle out at any time without Government Taxes or penalty. there could be some surrender charges for a certain number of years depending on company. But you will get past those at an early age. Some of these Accountants on this board could speak more about them.
Correct answer. Up to $10,000 can be withdrawn for first time home buyers also.
I always put an amount equal to their earnings in when they were teenagers. They are early 20s now and have about $35k each.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
7mm-08 ammo
It's as rare as unicorn tears!
As is ammo for a lot of calibers. I have several older caliber rifles that I can’t find ammo for anymore. I called Hornady and actually talked to someone. He said that they are making so much ammo for the government and export that slower selling caliber’s have been suspended until demand changes. He told me to go to every big online ammo retailer like Midway and Natchez Shooters Supply and click on the “ Notify when available “ for whatever I’m interested in. They are monitoring the pent up demand and when demand reaches a certain level these slower moving calibers will again be scheduled into production.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yep- first thing I want to do for my son is a Custodial Roth when he's old enough to get a job.

One time contribution- for me, it would be a Vanguard account. VOO probably and just set and forget it.
Don’t have to wait I don’t think. Start a 529 and then don’t use it for college and you can convert up $35k into a Roth later. It will count against their Roth contributions at that time. This is new I think so I may have some of the details wrong, but that route should let you deduct some state taxes and your kid have a Roth later on.

eta: https://www.fidelity.com/learning-c... also must,not exceed $35,000 per beneficiary.

Last edited:
Reactions: CEO2044

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
7mm-08 ammo
It's as rare as unicorn tears!
If i hadn't lost all my firearms in that tragic boating accident and i still believed in private ownership, I would look into standardizing calibers for family and friends. I'd have everyone on 30.06 (for big game), 9mm for side arms and 5.56 for offense/defense. Stock up on that caliber ammo. Think about it as buying not for yourself, but your grandkids. Obviously you'll need as much .22 as you can store. Also I know Hillary is a fine patriot and would make a great POTUS, I'm with her.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
Don’t have to wait I don’t think. Start a 529 and then don’t use it for college and you can convert up $35k into a Roth later. It will count against their Roth contributions at that time. This is new I think so I may have some of the details wrong, but that route should let you deduct some state taxes and your kid have a Roth later on.

eta: https://www.fidelity.com/learning-center/personal-finance/529-rollover-to-roth#:~:text=(The Roth IRA also must,not exceed $35,000 per beneficiary.
I'll look into this- thank you. We do already have a 529 for him.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login