Is 2023 shaping up to be a repeat of 2018?

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I think most here would agree that CDM would've won double digit games with that 2018 team. JoMo comes in and the D was incredible but the transition of the offense limited us to 8 wins.

I think Leach would've won double digit games next year. We know with what we have returning that Arnett's D is going to be "salty". Now the offense is once again going to be in transition.

We shall see what happens but you know what they say about history? Let's hope we hire a magician for OC because he's going to need to pull a rabbit, or in this case a QB, outta a hat.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Depends on OC and transfer portal. If it's Briles depends on how much a square peg in round hole calls he does. Will was good in spurts anyway throwing. Moorhead tried to make fitz something he wasn't. Plus transfer portal is different now. Lot of new coaches are bring qbs with them

Reactions: drumrcraig

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
That is exactly my concern. And let me add this is not the 2018 D even tho people on this board wanna anoint them as great. Hopefully they will be better next year cause if we don't hit a HR on OC and find another QB( yes, even I am off the Will bandwagon) we are gonna have a down year and waste all this momentum and experience. I was really hoping Sawyer would pull it together and take that QB1 designation next year. Buuuuut....nerp

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think most here would agree that CDM would've won double digit games with that 2018 team. JoMo comes in and the D was incredible but the transition of the offense limited us to 8 wins.

I think Leach would've won double digit games next year. We know with what we have returning that Arnett's D is going to be "salty". Now the offense is once again going to be in transition.

We shall see what happens but you know what they say about history? Let's hope we hire a magician for OC because he's going to need to pull a rabbit, or in this case a QB, outta a hat.
calling @MagicDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I feel like either way with OC, we need a qb that can move and somebody that can throw it further then 30 yards

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Yes we need a xhange and at least a little running from the QB position. I will feel better if they announce Briles this afternoon. He is flexible and will bring or find at least one more QB

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Well, in fairness, our offense didn't struggle so much because it was in transition. It struggled because we had a bad head coach acting as offensive coordinator. If we had hired JoMo as OC and Franklin as Head Coach, that offense probably would have looked a lot better, even with the same play caller and offense. Certainly not optimal, but probably not handicapped as badly as it was.

We do have a somewhat more challenging situation this year in that while Fitz could have been ok in most systems other than the pure air raid, as long as enough runs were incorporated to force the defense to account for his running ability, there is a pretty narrow range of options for us next year. Any qb running we do is going to be a "keep them honest" type play call, not a real threat.

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022

This is exactly what is happening, the next year 2024 is when the chickens come home to roost. really no good reason to go this route. I think in the future Leach is going to be missed.

Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Well, in fairness, our offense didn't struggle so much because it was in transition. It struggled because we had a bad head coach acting as offensive coordinator. If we had hired JoMo as OC and Franklin as Head Coach, that offense probably would have looked a lot better, even with the same play caller and offense. Certainly not optimal, but probably not handicapped as badly as it was.

We do have a somewhat more challenging situation this year in that while Fitz could have been ok in most systems other than the pure air raid, as long as enough runs were incorporated to force the defense to account for his running ability, there is a pretty narrow range of options for us next year. Any running we do is going to be a "keep them honest" type play call, not a real threat.
You talking about QB running? I'm assuming we will have a run game.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't think there's any reason to assume that. Our problems in 2018 weren't that we had a new coach, they were that we had a bad coach. Big difference. If we are indeed bringing in Briles (and possibly Jefferson and Rocket Sanders), we'll be in good shape offensively next year.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We aren't bringing in Joe 17ing Morehead. You guys act like our starting QB left. None of those guys were beating out Will. As much as I think Will is limited, he's a 3 year starter. Lots about to happen though.

ShelBitty

Oct 11, 2022
Defense will be good, but not 2018 good. We'll never see 2018 team with Mullen or 2023 with Leach unfortunately. But I still suspect 2018 with Mullen would have been WAY better. Coming down the stretch this season the offense seemed to regress for some reason they didn't look like the same team that beat up on A&M and Arkansas.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
That is exactly my concern. And let me add this is not the 2018 D even tho people on this board wanna anoint them as great. Hopefully they will be better next year cause if we don't hit a HR on OC and find another QB( yes, even I am off the Will bandwagon) we are gonna have a down year and waste all this momentum and experience. I was really hoping Sawyer would pull it together and take that QB1 designation next year. Buuuuut....nerp
Absolutely agree about Robertson. I was hoping he stuck around and possibly took the job. Right now our QB roster is Will and a true frosh who isn't ready for this level of competition yet (regardless of what some here say). Maybe we need to get Lovertich to get another year****

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I don't think there's any reason to assume that. Our problems in 2018 weren't that we had a new coach, they were that we had a bad coach. Big difference. If we are indeed bringing in Briles (and possibly Jefferson and Rocket Sanders), we'll be in good shape offensively next year.
I think if that happens everyone here will be ecstatic. And it is a possibility and these QBs may already know. That will obviously calm all the concerns. If it does not happen, buckle up buttercup

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I think it depends on how much the new OC tries to change the offense. If we have to go with a true freshman because the system demands a running QB then we are in trouble.

If the OC has half a brain and understands what we have offensively I think we'll be pretty good. No need to re-invent the wheel here - just update the offense by adding some additional plays based on sets we already run, and allow the team to adjust accordingly.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Key question: Will the OL have wide splits?

If not, what will we clutch pearls over? Now I'm not savvy enough to really know the football ins/outs, but I do know we dedicated a BIG part of ML season 1 worrying about OL wide splits. Then the discussion suddenly went away without much fanfare. Kinda like acid rain...

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
It’s a schedule meant for a peak season. We have been unlucky with our favorable schedules not aligning with our best teams. Imagine the 2014 team with the 2015 schedule. Even the 2018 team, with or without Mullen, would have preferred the 2019 schedule.

Are we good enough to have a chance at home vs. LSU/Alabama? Are we good enough to win games on the road vs. South Carolina, Arkansas, Auburn, and Texas A&M?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Are we good enough to have a chance at home vs. LSU/Alabama? Are we good enough to win games on the road vs. South Carolina, Arkansas, Auburn, and Texas A&M?
In order:
No
No
Probably not
Probably
Who knows?
Who knows?

Next year's schedule isn't quite the gauntlet we've had to go through many years, but it's still a pretty tough schedule.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My opinion I think it will be easier to go to a non-air raid offense with what we have now than to go to an air raid to what we had when Leach came. We probably have the talent to run pretty much any offense. Might need a running QB out of the portal to run a true RPO.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
In order:
No
No
Probably not
Probably
Who knows?
Who knows?

Next year's schedule isn't quite the gauntlet we've had to go through many years, but it's still a pretty tough schedule.
Yeah, it's built for a peak roster because without a peak roster we can easily go 6-6. The even years are built for 8-4. The odd years can be really tough for mediocre teams. I'd like to see one of our best rosters on an odd year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah, it's built for a peak roster because without a peak roster we can easily go 6-6. The even years are built for 8-4. The odd years can be really tough for mediocre teams. I'd like to see one of our best rosters on an odd year.
One benefit of the new non-divisional SEC schedule. Without Bama and LSU as permanent opponents, the even-odd imbalance in our schedule goes away.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
Listen BlackSailsDawg - This isn't like 2018. We didn't fire our coach and decide to move in a completely different direction. Our coach passed away suddenly and we were left scrambling. I have no idea who we will hire as OC and what it will look like. I thought we would strive for a little more offensive continuity myself, but Arnett is doing what he was hired to do. Let's let it play out. In the end, there's not much we could've done. Our offense was never going to carry on past Coach Leach. That was one of my main concerns when we hired him. Let's see what happens before we freak out too much.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Briles seems to be a guy who designs his offensive strategery around what he has to work with which I think is great but I don't want him bringing Jefferson with him and I think that may be the main discussion going on right now but maybe I'm wrong on that.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
The Magic Dap Miffkin would have totally chocked on 2018. He may - MAY -have won ONE more game but I really doubt it.
And you can bet he would have tanked down the stretch, lost to OM again and not given 2 $h!ts about it while looking for another job.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Depends on OC and transfer portal. If it's Briles depends on how much a square peg in round hole calls he does. Will was good in spurts anyway throwing. Moorhead tried to make fitz something he wasn't. Plus transfer portal is different now. Lot of new coaches are bring qbs with them
Morehead was worried with showing everybody how intricate and complex his offense was. He forgot all about teaching it, or making it fit what we had.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011

Saying the offense was in transition sure is one way of putting it…

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022

By the time preseason rolls around, we’re gonna be hearing “expect 10 wins, 9 as a floor” from our media. I expect to be disappointed.

Reactions: PBRME

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022

You are sort of right that it could be a repeat. It is the "I think...would have" that is the problem. Unrealistic expectations are no way to evaluate a coach.

No one knows what Mullen might have done here in 2018, but so many fans convinced themselves that Mullen "would have" gone 10-2 that 8-4 from a first year coach was seen as failure (Moorhead's disorganized offense was reason to fret, but 8-4 should have been a reasonable result).

Now people are saying Leach "would have' been 10-2 in 2023? I don't see it, but your own optimistic view of the future should not be a reason to be disappointed in a brand new coach failing to meet such heights in his first year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login