Is ~5% annual property appreciation sustainable over the next 10-15 years?

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Depends on a variety of factors. Property type, location, economy, quality/condition etc. And even then, a projection that far out would be little more than a guess.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Property values are artificially high due to Covid and the associated BS. They are falling now, at least where I keep up with the prices. I think they will drop for a while and then slowly climb but 5% is ambitious. But what do I know, I thought we would beat OM last night!

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I can only speak for what im familiar with and as far as farmland goes it’s never gone down in value. I’m sure the same can be said for most land in general. Lately there has been some stupid money invested in farmland. I’ve seen some auctions in Iowa farmland going for amounts that aren’t justifiable for getting a ROI. I just don’t get it.

IMG_1528.png

Reactions: dorndawg

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I can only speak for what im familiar with and as far as farmland goes it’s never gone down in value. I’m sure the same can be said for most land in general. Lately there has been some stupid money invested in farmland. I’ve seen some auctions in Iowa farmland going for amounts that aren’t justifiable for getting a ROI. I just don’t get it.

View attachment 521483
Unfortunately, I get it. Number 1, Groups are buying row crop farmland at crazy prices because they know where it is headed. See the average Brazilian farm versus the average American one. It’s not profitable for you or me to farm…but big Ag isn’t you and me.
Number 2, and just as if not more important, inflation is not going to stop in the long term.

One could very legitimately and maybe correctly argue, number 2 caused number 1, or certainly added nitro to the process.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010

View attachment 521483
I think there’s tremendous value in farmland today. AI and Tech are going to totally revolutionize agriculture. I could see a world in the near future where the amount of humans involved in America’s crop production has drastically shrank, but the yields have exponentially increased.

In 20 years (hell, maybe in 5), I expect there to be a solar powered robot tending our fields. That bot will be taking soil samples, monitoring temperatures, scanning for pests in real time. It’ll know the best way to prevent damage when the evening temp stays above 83 degrees.

It’s going to be wild.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Property values are artificially high due to Covid and the associated BS. They are falling now, at least where I keep up with the prices. I think they will drop for a while and then slowly climb but 5% is ambitious. But what do I know, I thought we would beat OM last night!
You might be in a lagging market. The national numbers went negative from late 22 through early 23. Case Shiller index just reported 5.4% yoy price increases for November.

Here's the composite 2024 predictions:

1000012723.jpg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Interested to hear what everyone thinks.
5% is tough to maintain, but there is a shortage of housing in a lot of areas and it's not going to get cheaper to build as cities, counties, states, and feds constantly add new regulations, permits and other criteria that drive costs to build upward.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think there’s tremendous value in farmland today. AI and Tech are going to totally revolutionize agriculture. I could see a world in the near future where the amount of humans involved in America’s crop production has drastically shrank, but the yields have exponentially increased.

In 20 years (hell, maybe in 5), I expect there to be a solar powered robot tending our fields. That bot will be taking soil samples, monitoring temperatures, scanning for pests in real time. It’ll know the best way to prevent damage when the evening temp stays above 83 degrees.

It’s going to be wild.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Material costs and labor costs will continue to drive the price of new homes up.
In Rankin County existing home average per sf is around $178 on anything semi-updated. New builds are running $209-$225 average depending on location. There are some builders asking $250 to $265 sf which is ridiculous and more ridiculous is there are people who will pay thst to get new!

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Compared to what? USD? Any return is possible over 10-15 years. It just depends on the amount of additional monetary units introduced into the system.

Compared to bitcoin I expect real estate to get cheaper over the next 10-15 years. Today, a new house costs about 10 BTC in the United States. Let's check back in 10-15 years.

Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 10.41.15 PM.png

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Material costs and labor costs will continue to drive the price of new homes up.
In Rankin County existing home average per sf is around $178 on anything semi-updated. New builds are running $209-$225 average depending on location. There are some builders asking $250 to $265 sf which is ridiculous and more ridiculous is there are people who will pay more than that to get new.

Reactions: retire the banner

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Looks like the historical curve is simply going up, up and away. There will be ups and downs but by and large, property goes up.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Interested to hear what everyone thinks.
Intuitively, you would think generally property prices in an area wouldn't be able to outpace wage growth for an area over an extended period of time (with some exceptions for markets that are not typical, generally because of the amount of outside money coming in and/or lots of people with wealth not earned through their wages). But as long as people are having real wage growth excluding home costs, and they are willing to keep paying that extra money towards housing costs rather than improving their quality of life. Combined that with all the restrictions on building housing, and I think you can continue to see that kind of growth in reasonably desirable areas. We're basically on a trend where we keep getting richer, but restrictions on the supply side in housing and healthcare assures that we basically end up feeling similar because we just bid those up with our extra money.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Intuitively, you would think generally property prices in an area wouldn't be able to outpace wage growth for an area over an extended period of time (with some exceptions for markets that are not typical, generally because of the amount of outside money coming in and/or lots of people with wealth not earned through their wages). But as long as people are having real wage growth excluding home costs, and they are willing to keep paying that extra money towards housing costs rather than improving their quality of life. Combined that with all the restrictions on building housing, and I think you can continue to see that kind of growth in reasonably desirable areas. We're basically on a trend where we keep getting richer, but restrictions on the supply side in housing and healthcare assures that we basically end up feeling similar because we just bid those up with our extra money.
Yep. And since the crowd does it, it's hard to go against it.

I don't want to wish my life away, but one good thing about my kids eventually growing up is that I will shed the need for a damn house, or at least a decent sized one. I HATE homeownership but damnit there's no other way. Can't realistically live in an RV.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I know several couples who live in a RV and most of them still work. I could do it, my wife couldn’t. All the remote working since Covid has been a boom to full timers. Most of them own a lot in an owner park or own land somewhere with a pad and hook ups. It’s a different lifestyle but they are all very happy with it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I know several couples who live in a RV and most of them still work. I could do it, my wife couldn’t. All the remote working since Covid has been a boom to full timers. Most of them own a lot in an owner park or own land somewhere with a pad and hook ups. It’s a different lifestyle but they are all very happy with it.
Oh I agree, it would be awesome, but RVs do not go up in value.

I recognize not all houses do either, but they generally all keep their value.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

View attachment 521483
Are you seeing foreign acquisition? I saw a headline about China buying up farm land. Did not vet the source...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

It’s going to be wild.
It's going to be interesting. The lack of need for humans could make large swaths of the country just desolate. The only things that I can think of to prevent that are people too poor to move anywhere else and the possibility that rural internet attracts some people to that setting to work from home that otherwise would never have lived there.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
5% is tough to maintain, but there is a shortage of housing in a lot of areas and it's not going to get cheaper to build as cities, counties, states, and feds constantly add new regulations, permits and other criteria that drive costs to build upward.
Boomers selling/dying. Any impact?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Compared to what? USD? Any return is possible over 10-15 years. It just depends on the amount of additional monetary units introduced into the system.

Compared to bitcoin I expect real estate to get cheaper over the next 10-15 years. Today, a new house costs about 10 BTC in the United States. Let's check back in 10-15 years.

View attachment 521557
Never once have I been inclined to price housing in bitcoin.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I could see a world in the near future where the amount of humans involved in America’s crop production has drastically shrank, but the yields have exponentially increased.
Bro......that's already happened, like 60 years ago. Why do you think the Delta is so poor now.

Good thing about AI/tech, is that that also creates jobs in that field.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's going to be interesting. The lack of need for humans could make large swaths of the country just desolate. The only things that I can think of to prevent that are people too poor to move anywhere else and the possibility that rural internet attracts some people to that setting to work from home that otherwise would never have lived there.
I thought this would have already happened during COVID, but turns out, most folks like grocery stores and city amenities more than they like homesteading and small town life.

The big winners of the work-from-home movement are the outer ring suburbs of major population centers with jobs.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I thought this would have already happened during COVID, but turns out, most folks like grocery stores and city amenities more than they like homesteading and small town life.

The big winners of the work-from-home movement are the outer ring suburbs of major population centers with jobs.
Sure. I was less asserting that it was a real possibility and more brainstorming what could prevent most of America from being unpopulated to the extent that it would be hard to have enough population in parts of middle America to support any industry beyond farming.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
United States
State or Region2020 Census2010 Census2000 Census1990 Census1980 Census1970 Census1960 Census1950 Census1940 Census1930 Census1920 Census1910 Census
Resident
Population
331,449,281308,745,538281,421,906248,709,873226,545,805203,211,926179,323,175151,325,798132,165,129123,202,660106,021,56892,228,531
Starting with the basics in the last forty short years we've added over 100,000,000 mouths to feed and beds needed to sleep in BUT no more land to do it on. ***** got to go up.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Sure. I was less asserting that it was a real possibility and more brainstorming what could prevent most of America from being unpopulated to the extent that it would be hard to have enough population in parts of middle America to support any industry beyond farming.
Rural America is withering away. If you think it depressing in the delta, go out in rural Kansas and Nebraska. Those towns are all ghost towns.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Boomers selling/dying. Any impact?
One consideration nobody ever factors in is that while people die, so do houses. There were a lot of houses built extremely poorly in the late 50's to mid 70's. Many of which are in desirable areas. These houses are getting leveled and a new house is built in its place. Other well built houses are torn down for the same reason (location), because its an 1800 sf arts and crafts home in Highland Park and a plastic surgeon wants 5000 sf of west coast modern in its place. So in effect we are building a house but not gaining one for the national housing stock.

So the question becomes how quickly do these Boomers die vs how many houses "die." The old narrative was the Boomers would be moving into retirement/assisted living in the late 2020's and 2030's. After Covid, I think we'll have to drag them in kicking and screaming.

If you’re asking me, I think it's going to be a tough row to hoe with housing for another decade. So many houses in desirable areas are no longer houses... They are hotels. Gen X and millennials inherit many houses from their parents and sit on them instead of selling. ABNB has changed the game for a lot of areas.

Boomers will eventually croak en masse' but right now we have 2 octogenarians vying to run the free world from 2025 until 2029. If we can't keep the old farts out of the White House, I don't expect them to give up their personal homes anytime soon.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Compare any Delta city or town now to where they were in 1965. Hell, 1980.
Greenwood specifically, just because I used to go there in the 80s. I don't know if that was all due to farming modernization, or just some other industries leaving. I remember Viking helped out for while a little later on, but of course they sell out, as most MS companies do.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"One consideration nobody ever factors in is that while people die, so do houses. There were a lot of houses built extremely poorly in the late 50's to mid 70's."

Have you visited one of these "assembly line" type subdivisions (while under construction) we've been building the last twenty years ? I'll take the houses a 50 to 60 year old house thank you.

Reactions: J-Dawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I can name at least a dozen delta towns that are basically ghost towns compared to what they were 40 years ago. They were not super "rich" but they were very viable places to live, make a living and raise a family.

Compare any Delta city or town now to where they were in 1965. Hell, 1980.
And if anything, the population losses are accelerating. Lots of Delta towns in both Mississippi and Arkansas saw population decreases over 15% in just the latest census (2010-2020).

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
"One consideration nobody ever factors in is that while people die, so do houses. There were a lot of houses built extremely poorly in the late 50's to mid 70's."

Have you visited one of these "assembly line" type subdivisions (while under construction) we've been building the last twenty years ? I'll take the houses a 50 to 60 year old house thank you.
I guess somebody has to. I'll gladly take the leaps and bounds made on the quality of construction materials as a whole in the last 20-30 years.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Greenwood specifically, just because I used to go there in the 80s. I don't know if that was all due to farming modernization, or just some other industries leaving. I remember Viking helped out for while a little later on, but of course they sell out, as most MS companies do.
I’ll do Clarksdale since my mother is from tbere and we went there all the time.

You had several different industries in town that provided jobs along with the farming community. Almost all of that is gone.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
One consideration nobody ever factors in is that while people die, so do houses. There were a lot of houses built extremely poorly in the late 50's to mid 70's. Many of which are in desirable areas. These houses are getting leveled and a new house is built in its place. Other well built houses are torn down for the same reason (location), because its an 1800 sf arts and crafts home in Highland Park and a plastic surgeon wants 5000 sf of west coast modern in its place. So in effect we are building a house but not gaining one for the national housing stock.

So the question becomes how quickly do these Boomers die vs how many houses "die." The old narrative was the Boomers would be moving into retirement/assisted living in the late 2020's and 2030's. After Covid, I think we'll have to drag them in kicking and screaming.

If you’re asking me, I think it's going to be a tough row to hoe with housing for another decade. So many houses in desirable areas are no longer houses... They are hotels. Gen X and millennials inherit many houses from their parents and sit on them instead of selling. ABNB has changed the game for a lot of areas.

Boomers will eventually croak en masse' but right now we have 2 octogenarians vying to run the free world from 2025 until 2029. If we can't keep the old farts out of the White House, I don't expect them to give up their personal homes anytime soon.
This is certainly a thing. In the older more established neighborhoods in Huntsville, it’s actually even worse. You have the Blossomwood area which is where a lot of old money OG’s from the area reside, but also a lot of young professionals (a lot of times without kids) have smaller 2000-2500ish sf homes on 0.3 - 0.4 acres. Adjacent old lots of the latter are being bought in pairs by the former, both houses destroyed, and a new single palace is then built in the place on the larger 0.75 - 1 acre that remains. Not sure how that’s even legal, but it’s happening here and probably elsewhere in the country.

In the case above, they aren’t even poorly built houses either. It’s a highly desirable area and there is market for them to even be used as rental or investment properties. But folks just want that juicy land.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I’ll do Clarksdale since my mother is from tbere and we went there all the time.

You had several different industries in town that provided jobs along with the farming community. Almost all of that is gone.
Pine Bluff AR went from 49k residents in 2010 to 41k in 2020. That's just staggering.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login