Is anybody here an Electrical Engineer?

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Reactions: Snave

kired

Aug 22, 2008
The number of times someone has asked me about their "free" energy designs....
Hear me out - solar road panels. They can use solar energy to melt snow & ice in the winter. Light up the roads so you can see better in bad weather.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Your comment just unearthed a deeply buried childhood memory of the guy from Lucedale that invented a perpetual motion machine

Need you to do some where is he now research. Is his kid carrying the baton?

Snave

Aug 22, 2012
Hear me out - solar road panels. They can use solar energy to melt snow & ice in the winter. Light up the roads so you can see better in bad weather.
Panels embedded in the road? They would break too often and cost a lot. Also, not a lot of sun will reach it if there is snow already covering them.

Better use of roads + electricity would be to inductive charge electric cars/tractor trailers on the interstate, but that would also cost a ton and would break.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Panels embedded in the road? They would break too often and cost a lot. Also, not a lot of sun will reach it if there is snow already covering them.

Better use of roads + electricity would be to inductive charge electric cars/tractor trailers on the interstate, but that would also cost a ton and would break.
Sadly enough, you don't have to just rely on common sense to determine that. People have actually tried. Never quite understood the rational for wanting to do solar roadways before fully utilizing surfaces that didn't have tons of weight and wear and tear put on them. But I'm sure somebody got some grant money and subsidies for it, so there's that.

Reactions: Snave

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Your comment just unearthed a deeply buried childhood memory of the guy from Lucedale that invented a perpetual motion machine

Had totally forgotten about that guy. I wonder what ever happened to him.

ETA: Turns out, he might have been a little nuts. There's a Wikipedia article on him. This is one of the sections:

In 1987 he announced a run for the American Presidency, claiming that God had instructed him to run in order that the extinction of humanity by 1999 might be averted, and that Nostradamus had predicted his existence. In 1989 Newman claimed, while already married, to have married his secretary and her 8-year-old daughter, acting on orders from God. The daughter was removed from his home by the authorities.

Reactions: DawgInThe256

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Not I - my least favorite discipline

I’m a degreed ME - now working in the renewable energy world and I find myself remembering why it was my least favorite
My oldest daughter is a CE with SoCal Gas. She has no regrets about her degree, but has said she sometimes thinks it might have been more fun or interesting to get an ME degree instead.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
My dad taught me all I needed to know about electricity.
1. It's invisible, at least until you 17 up
2. It will knock your "Richard" in the mud w/out advanced warning and needs to be treated accordingly. That's all the average guy needs to know i.e. leave it alone......

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Whenever I saw a circuit on a test, I knew I was screwed unless the guy beside me understood it. Thankfully ME’s didn’t have to deal with electricity problems often.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Throughout my career I’ve believed that my one EE class was the biggest missed opportunity in my whole engineering curriculum. They wasted my time with theory when some real world examples would’ve been soooo much more useful for the non-EEs in there.
Well, it was likely led by a prof who had gone to EE school, gone to EE school again, gone to EE school again and did not have any relatable experience or idea how all that stuff might actually work in in the real world.

Reactions: Bobby Ricigliano

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Well, it was likely led by a prof who had gone to EE school, gone to EE school again, gone to EE school again and did not have any relatable experience or idea how all that stuff might actually work in in the real world.
You nailed that one!

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Throughout my career I’ve believed that my one EE class was the biggest missed opportunity in my whole engineering curriculum. They wasted my time with theory when some real world examples would’ve been soooo much more useful for the non-EEs in there.
My last semester, a professor told me to think about electricity as if it were water. Circuits made a lot more sense then. Where was he 4 years earlier?

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Not I - my least favorite discipline

I’m a degreed ME - now working in the renewable energy world and I find myself remembering why it was my least favorite
I had to take EE Systems for my ChE degree. The message I took home from this class was hire an Electrical Engineer. That **** is voodoo. They have a practical, real world, use of the square root of negative one, a number that does not exist.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
There is nothing worse than an engineering professor who never had a real job. I remember in process design Bricka freaking out when he learned half his class had gone through heat transfer and didn't even know what a heat exchanger was because the prof who taught them taught nothing but theory. She was soon run off from the department.

Reactions: Car Ramrod.sixpack

Fang1

Oct 1, 2022
MDOT has entered the chat and says…....”hold my beer”

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
My last semester, a professor told me to think about electricity as if it were water. Circuits made a lot more sense then. Where was he 4 years earlier?
The better professors for EE and CE were always at the higher level classes. I felt it was to weed out some people. Circuits almost weeded me out. My dad talked me off the ledge and it got easier in the upper level classes because the teachers were better.

ETA: I work in the software side of things now so I don’t remember much about circuits now.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
I’m in a position where power factor and VARs are relevant. Hydraulics analogies are no longer helping this process hand, unfortunately.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
No but I am a marine biologist
I am guessing some of you might have had my Dad for physics. If you didn’t work out your answer on paper… you weren’t gonna get a good grade. I have been told by many folks he was the real deal… Hard as hell…. But fair. Watching his mind fade away last year was the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. That and his heart just stop working more every day.

But he loved to teach.

eedawg

Jul 21, 2017
I am guessing some of you might have had my Dad for physics. If you didn’t work out your answer on paper… you weren’t gonna get a good grade. I have been told by many folks he was the real deal… Hard as hell…. But fair. Watching his mind fade away last year was the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. That and his heart just stop working more every day.

But he loved to teach.
Jack Denson?

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I get a lot of home wiring questions, which I can do, but I didn't get that knowledge in Simrall...
What I've been kicking around lately are some new electric guitar design ideas. Not so much the aesthetics, though that will be a concern at some point, but in function, new capabilities, etc. I have a number of ideas with a general sense or thoughts of how it should work, but I'm likely to reach a point where I'll want to collaborate with someone with a deeper understanding of how to actually put the ideas into practice, or working prototypes.

Hell, I may also want to talk to an ME as well. Plenty of those out here in Cali, but if I can find a fellow Bulldog who is interested, I'd rather that.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
My oldest daughter is a CE with SoCal Gas. She has no regrets about her degree, but has said she sometimes thinks it might have been more fun or interesting to get an ME degree instead.
First time I've seen the terms "fun" and "interesting" applied to an engineering field.

BTW, I was an EE major for approximately three weeks my freshman year before matriculating across the Drill Field to McCool Country Club.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
First time I've seen the terms "fun" and "interesting" applied to an engineering field.

BTW, I was an EE major for approximately three weeks my freshman year before matriculating across the Drill Field to McCool Country Club.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That is shocking. I thought that analogy was basically universal for the entry level circuits type classes. Hell, I had an electrician use that analogy with me in high school. But I also thought that became less useful later on. I don't remember much beyond the very basics, and didn't do any advanced electrical or circuits classes, but thought we got to stuff that the water analogy wasn't useful for. Impedence? Right hand thumb rule? those are things, right? Don't think the water analogy was useful for those?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Since retirement I’m working one day a week as a Sanitation Engineer, it’s very rewarding except when it’s raining, I’ve got a long driveway . Here’s my billion dollar idea for all you EE’s , invent wireless transfer of energy for electric cars and imbed it in the right lane of 4 lane roads. This way when driving in the right lane the auto is powered by the grid but when passing in the left lane or venturing off the 4 lane it is powered by batteries. This solves multiple problems. It solves the problem of long distance travel in electric vehicles. It allows the more practical use of smaller batteries in cars. But mostly it keeps all you slow assed no driving some beaches out of the left lane.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login