Is anyone’s electric bill for June ridiculous?

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
It wasn’t even hot for June. I’m scared to see what mine is for July.
One of my AC units has been down since Friday. Projected time the part gets out of factory to me is another 10 days. All of our bedrooms are not usable. The other unit runs 22 hours a day. It’s gonna be BRUTAL.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well, mines gonna be helped out by the 3 days I was without power. But yeah, it’s gonna be ridiculous.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Our main unit has been down more than it's worked in June. My bill actually wasn't that bad. I expect it to ever out this summer, though.

Mar 3, 2008
We got the nest thermostats. Ms Power actually gave me a credit that paid for them. Pretty easy to install and they save us $300.00 on our last bill compared to last year. I live in a 100 year old house also. It couldn’t be less efficient if we tried

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think the one we just got was $240ish. Got up to $600 last year, but we replaced our big HVAC unit so hopefully it will not be as much this year. 3000sf two-story house in 39047, Central Electric is our provider.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
We live in metro Atlanta. I compared May and June this year to same period for last year. Usage was down 30%, mostly because of unusually mild weather this year. But the bills were actually a few dollars higher this year. Thank you, Georgia Power, for such a significant rate increase.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
We live in metro Atlanta. I compared May and June this year to same period for last year. Usage was down 30%, mostly because of unusually mild weather this year. But the bills were actually a few dollars higher this year. Thank you, Georgia Power, for such a significant rate increase.
We do the flat billing with GA Power. I think we got assessed for $176/month regardless of how much we use. We do the same with natural gas. Our GNG bill is $63/month no matter how much we use. Supposedly they reassess every 2 years. We've been doing it for about 3 years now and the rates haven't changed much, if any. I bet the money comes out to close to the same for a 12-month cycle, but it's nice for budgeting purposes. No shockingly high bills.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
We do the flat billing with GA Power. No shockingly high bills.

We do the same with GA Power after an insanely high July or August bill several years ago. Sure, we probably pay a little more than we would have in Spring/Fall but it's definitely the way to go.

Reactions: aTotal360

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I think the one we just got was $240ish. Got up to $600 last year, but we replaced our big HVAC unit so hopefully it will not be as much this year. 3000sf two-story house in 39047, Central Electric is our provider.
We did the same earlier this year because I was sick and tired of adding coolant, and the damn thing had to run for an hour to cool the house down a single degree.

I’d finally had enough of it, did my own research with tonnage calculators, and put a new one in about 4 months ago, and it’s been a godsend. My last 3 bills including June have been right around $150, and it’s not like I got some $15k space age system. Just a silver grade American Standard that’s actually the right capacity for the space it’s trying to cool.

Now, I will say… those of you that are trying to keep your houses at 65 when there’s a 103 degree heat bubble over us, sorry… but these bills are on you

Reactions: ChE1997 and FQDawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We did the same earlier this year because I was sick and tired of adding coolant, and the damn thing had to run for an hour to cool the house down a single degree.

I’d finally had enough of it, did my own research with tonnage calculators, and put a new one in about 4 months ago, and it’s been a godsend. My last 3 bills including June have been right around $150, and it’s not like I got some $15k space age system. Just a silver grade American Standard that’s actually the right capacity for the space it’s trying to cool.

Now, I will say… those of you that are trying to keep your houses at 65 when there’s a 103 degree heat bubble over us, sorry… but these bills are on you
Concur, set my on 74.

Reactions: Seinfeld

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
$169 for June in Starkville w/ 4 County Electric on levelized billing, thats about normal in my 2,200ft

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
$169 for June in Starkville w/ 4 County Electric on levelized billing, thats about normal in my 2,200ft
I don't do levelized billing. At the end of the day - in the summer - my gas bill goes down as my electricity bill goes up. Obviously, winter is the opposite. So when combining the 2 - it's essentially levelized.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Except…when you have a problem (I.E.MIL heffer, water leak, or gas leak) it’s damn near impossible to identify.

That was my problem with budget billing when I tried it. You could see your actual usage but too easy to not pay attention. Now our utility offers daily alerts and monthly alerts set at whatever threshhold you set. I get an alert any day my usage is above $6. And whenever my monthly bill passes $180. The $6 alerts are pretty worthless in the summer, but if I get the $180 alert and it's before the 22 or 23rd day in the billing cycle, I know it's running high, even for the summer.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I don't do levelized billing. At the end of the day - in the summer - my gas bill goes down as my electricity bill goes up. Obviously, winter is the opposite. So when combining the 2 - it's essentially levelized.
I'm levelized for both of them, 4 County and Atmos, and they may vary $15 a month either way

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Nice humble brag. Turn off half of those large screens, no sense having 10 on at once.
He switched from plasmas to 97" OLED with the switch to on3. probably saved enough to add 5-6 more.*****

View inside DS's house during the upgrade****

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login