Is Jeff Lebby JoMo 2.0?

MittRomney

Nov 6, 2012
Both are/were considered offensive geniuses that had little (Fordham) head coaching experience. Lot of RPO, which requires too much thinking/decision making for a college QB after snap in my opinion. Maybe Lebby’s is improved/simplified?

Just watched an interview with Lebby. Mannerisms, voice, demeanor, build all eerily similar to JoMo.

He may be awesome, and if we hire him, I’m 100% behind him (just like I was with Arnett even though I had serious reservations), but damn if I’m not extremely nervous if we go that route.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
What our offense needs right now is a QB who can see the whole field, throw the ball down field with authority and receivers who force the defense to respect their ability to get separation. It won't do us any good to change the playbook again if those ingredients are missing.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Both are/were considered offensive geniuses that had little (Fordham) head coaching experience. Lot of RPO, which requires too much thinking/decision making for a college QB after snap in my opinion. Maybe Lebby’s is improved/simplified?

Just watched an interview with Lebby. Mannerisms, voice, demeanor, build all eerily similar to JoMo.

He may be awesome, and if we hire him, I’m 100% behind him (just like I was with Arnett even though I had serious reservations), but damn if I’m not extremely nervous if we go that route.
Moorhead had no Power 5 coaching experience at all other than two years as OC at Penn State when he had Sanquon Barkley. Lebby has numerous stops at Power 5 schools and has had a great offense at every stop. I don’t see them as being too similar.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

MittRomney

Nov 6, 2012
Good points on the SEC experience. I just remember being fired up about JoMo. Innovate power 5 coordinator with head coaching experience. Inherited a stacked roster, thought we were about to take off. Guess I’m extremely cynical now.

Don’t know much about Lebby, so was doing a little digging. Came across the interview and started having JoMo flashbacks. PTSD I guess.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

I don’t think the RPOs most teams run are as complex as what Joe tries to do.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
For 1 year calling plays in Kiffin’s offense.
Show me one stop where his offense hasn't been good. I can show you JoMo got demoted and resigned before being fired at a couple places. JoMo was always a fraud.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
Any drop off at Ole Miss after he left?
2019-Total O-#2.....Run O-#19......Pass O-#8.......PPG-#5
2020-Total O-#3....Run O-#26......Pass O-#7.......PPG-#14
2021-Total O-#6.....Run O-#11......Pass O-#22......PPG-#24
2022-Total O-#13....Run O-#10......Pass O-#42.......PPG-#32
2023-Total O-#7....Run O-#42......Pass O-#7.......PPG-#4

Dawgpoundrock22

Aug 21, 2023

It depends did he ask about ring sizes?

Reactions: WilCoDawg and ckDOG

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It's a scary hire to me. But honestly anyone would be except Chadwell. Hopefully he has a great DC in mind and can pull a good QB. I'm watching Toledo right now but it's not like they ate crushing CM

MittRomney

Nov 6, 2012
2019-Total O-#2.....Run O-#19......Pass O-#8.......PPG-#5

Lebby - 2020-Total O-#3....Run O-#26......Pass O-#7.......PPG-#14

Lebby - 2021-Total O-#6.....Run O-#11......Pass O-#22......PPG-#24

Weis Jr - 2022-Total O-#13....Run O-#10......Pass O-#42.......PPG-#32

Weis Jr - 2023-Total O-#7....Run O-#42......Pass O-#7.......PPG-#4
I added the OC to the seasons above.

2019 was Rich Rod under Luke, that can’t be right, #5 in scoring?

regardless doesn’t look like they missed him much

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Good points on the SEC experience. I just remember being fired up about JoMo. Innovate power 5 coordinator with head coaching experience. Inherited a stacked roster, thought we were about to take off. Guess I’m extremely cynical now.

Don’t know much about Lebby, so was doing a little digging. Came across the interview and started having JoMo flashbacks. PTSD I guess.
Pretty low risk on Lenny’s part, too. If he succeeds, he’ll be gone soon…. If not, he can go be OC somewhere else. We are the ones whose future hangs in the balance.

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
Here's what I want to hear from whomever we hire: "I like to play [scheme] on offense and [scheme] on defense, but we are going to evaluate our personnel on offense and defense and play to our strengths while we begin to install our systems."

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Here's what I want to hear from whomever we hire: "I like to play [scheme] on offense and [scheme] on defense, but we are going to evaluate our personnel on offense and defense and play to our strengths while we begin to install our systems."
To be fair, Barbary said exactly that, but didn’t follow through on the promise.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

olblue

Mar 11, 2018

Let that **** go.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
To be fair, Barbary said exactly that, but didn’t follow through on the promise.
My unsolicited advice to those who hang on every word a coach says. Don’t listen to the press conference and see how effective their schemes are against the blue bloods next year.

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022
Looks like another “smartest guy in the room” hire. I thought we were done with those with Cohenz gone. Just hire a proven coach like Gus.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010

Nope. JoMo's success at Fordham was damn near guaranteed because Fordham was the only school in their conference that was allowed to offer football scholarships when he took over. They got that exception by agreeing to not be eligible for conference championships or to even participate in the CCG. Fordham had a 2-year head start on this before the rest of the conference moved to football scholarships.

JoMo's teams at Fordham had a stacked deck vs their schedule. Imagine a JC playing a schedule vs HS teams.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think Moorhead also wasn’t cut out for the south in general. Lebby has been all over the south in multiple leagues, including another SEC school in this very state.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
I think Moorhead also wasn’t cut out for the south in general. Lebby has been all over the south in multiple leagues, including another SEC school in this very state.
Agree with this, but what does Bob from Bogue Chitto say about Lebby?***

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

Or is he Dan Mullen? Hiring coaches is a complete guess in my opinion.

Oregon hired Georgia’s DC and he has been awesome.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Definitely a complete guess. All of these coaches know X's and O's. It's more of a cultural fit + work life relationship with your coworkers and employees. Most of us have held jobs where things worked out and it was a really good stint. We were productive, things just flowed. And then others where it was a huge cluster. But our technical knowledge in both situations wasn't vastly different...it was simply the variables of the environment. Same deal in the coaching world except their successes and failures are broadcasted unlike the average person.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

Over his 4 stops:

Southeastern had the #1 scoring offense
UCF the # 5 offense
Ole Miss, the #8 offense
At OU the #4 offense

Give me that over the 94th ranked offense and the 52nd (both Sumrall years at Troy)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login