Is losing a play-in game considered “making the tourney”?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
2022 tournament. Guessing the names printed by themselves on a line isnt what FJ was referring to.

I think playing a play-in game is making the tournament, but the NCAA did a 17ed up job of expressing that since the term 'play in' suggests the teams have to still play their way into the tournament, and therefore are not yet part of the tournament.
Screenshot 2023-03-09 081538.png

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It should, but perception wise it doesn't. If you aren't playing on Thursday/Friday, then nobody remembers.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
To me, if you play a game in the tourney, then you made it. So we have a total field of 68 teams. The play in game is part of the tourney. So yes you made it. Also note, teh play in game isn't 8 16 seeded teams. It is stupid as **** that a 11 seed Notre Dame team even has to play into the tourney in the first place. This should be spots saved for 16 seeded teams and teams that miraculously won their conference tourney and have no other reason being there.

Reactions: AFDawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Yes and we will put it on a banner as an NCAAT appearance even if we only make it to Dayton and lose there.

Your name is announced as in the field on selection Sunday. You are in. We have one tourney appearance since 2009, not sure why our fans want to stick their nose up at the possibility of playing in Dayton.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It should, but perception wise it doesn't. If you aren't playing on Thursday/Friday, then nobody remembers.
Not many people remember whether you played on Thursday or Friday unless you are part of a big upset. Over time, sure, they probably have a view of some teams as consistently being there, but even then I think it requires that you make some noise at some point. I'm sure there are some automatic qualifiers from weak conferences that are there almost every year and nobody knows because they don't ever win.

Reactions: aTotal360

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Every team makes the tournament, some just don’t get out of the 4 month pool play at the beginning.

I think the play in games don’t count. I still view the final “64” as the tournament.
I agree with you....it feels to me like the "play-ins" are a chance to play your way into the tournament.

That said, I'd rather be in that situation than be a one seed in the NIT.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yes, it counts.

I would like an explanation on why 2 of the 4 play-in games are between 4 teams that are all better than 30% of the teams that make the field without the play-in. If you’re gonna do it, it should be the 8 worst teams overall all vying for the 16-seeds. Its super dumb to have a play-in for the 11-seeds.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yes, it counts.

I would like an explanation on why 2 of the 4 play-in games are between 4 teams that are all better than 30% of the teams that make the field without the play-in. If you’re gonna do it, it should be the 8 worst teams overall all vying for the 16-seeds. Its super dumb to have a play-in for the 11-seeds.
Everyone gotta "feel" good man.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The tournament hasn’t always been 64 teams either. It was 16, then 25, 28, 32, 40, 48, 52 and 53 before it went to 64. The tournament hasn’t been at 64 teams since 2000 and was only at 64 from 1985-2000. If you’re in the field of 68, you’re in the tournament.

Reactions: Dawgg and AFDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The tournament hasn’t always been 64 teams either. It was 16, then 25, 28, 32, 40, 48, 52 and 53 before it went to 64. The tournament hasn’t been at 64 teams since 2000 and was only at 64 from 1985-2000. If you’re in the field of 68, you’re in the tournament.
And not only that, we know that the best 64 teams don't always make the tournament, so being in the next 4 isn't a big deal to me. 64 or 68, divided by the number of total teams in the NCAA (358), is 1%. Who cares.

Unfortunately, you still want to be playing on Thursday and Friday, when most of the country is watching. Win one and you get a double whammy. I personally think that by week 2 (sweet sixteen), most folks have moved on besides the fans of teams vying for a title.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I personally think that by week 2 (sweet sixteen), most folks have moved on besides the fans of teams vying for a title.
You think the Sweet16, Elite8, Final4, and NC games are all mostly watched only by fans of those teams?

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
They aren't even called "play in" games anymore. It is a 68 team field, and the Tuesday games are the "First Four". So, yes, getting invited counts as making the tournament. You may put an asterisk by it if you like.

The original play in games were not scheduled beforehand. They were decisions by the selection committee caused by - IIRC - upsets in the tournaments of smaller conferences where the automatic bid went to a team that clearly didn't belong. They gave regular season conference champs a second chance to get in. Play in games were the exception, not the rule.

Now that the First Four are an intentional part of the Tournament bracket, I think it counts.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Does anyone else hate that they make the worst auto bids go to the play-in games? I always felt that is what made the tourney special. Giving those guys the grand stage. Sure they would lose often but at least give them the chance to see what would happen. Now they get shipped to Dayton to compete against another low major all so we can add another 18-12 Big Ten team in the field.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Technically, yes. And winning a play-in game officially counts towards your NCAAT record. For example, if you win a play-in game and lose in the first round, your NCAAT record (as a school, coach, etc.) is 1-1. If you don’t play the play-in game and lose in the second round, your NCAAT record is 1-1. As far as I’m concerned, what matters is how many teams were left when you lost: round of 64, round of 32, etc. Personally, I think of the NCAAT as the 64-team field.

And to add to the confusion, from 2013 to 2015, they referred to the first round as the second round and the second round as the third round. In 2016, they reverted back to first round/second round.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Are you going to hang a banner if you lose the play in game? State, USM and OM would if they won the NIT.
Yes, we have a banner that reflects NCAA tournament appearances. Ole Miss does too. So yes, the banner would be updated for 2023 even if we lost the play in game.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Are you going to hang a banner if you lose the play in game? State, USM and OM would if they won the NIT.
Of course. Its part of the tournament.
As mentioned by another poster earlier, the games are now called 'first four'.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Does anyone else hate that they make the worst auto bids go to the play-in games? I always felt that is what made the tourney special. Giving those guys the grand stage. Sure they would lose often but at least give them the chance to see what would happen. Now they get shipped to Dayton to compete against another low major all so we can add another 18-12 Big Ten team in the field.
I'm not a big fan of auto bids, but truth be known, at that level, who cares, let's just have a good times. Tip the ball and let's play.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Yes, we have a banner that reflects NCAA tournament appearances. Ole Miss does too. So yes, the banner would be updated for 2023 even if we lost the play in game.
Maybe so but that seems a little much if losing a play in game.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Maybe so but that seems a little much if losing a play in game.
It’s not a play in game. It’s the tournament opening round. It’s not like a qualifying round to make the tournament proper. It’s the tournament. We have made the tournament once since 2009 and we’re going to turn our nose up at the opening round game? Wow.

Reactions: stateu1

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
It’s not a play in game. It’s the tournament opening round. It’s not like a qualifying round to make the tournament proper. It’s the tournament. We have made the tournament once since 2009 and we’re going to turn our nose up at the opening round game? Wow.
Wow to you. Nobody is turning their nose up about anything. But everyone doesn't see it the way you and others present it. It's always been called 'play in games'. Semantics perhaps.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login