Is there another 1 seed you would rather play?

OMlawdog

Feb 27, 2008
I was talking about this with a buddy this morning, and I told him that if MSU has to be an 8 seed, the best possible 1 seed for them is Memphis.

Memphis simply had too many athletes against CUSA teams, and when faced with a comparable athletic team (UT) they lost. I think MSU/Memphis potential matchup is the best 1/8 matchup out there, because MSU has athletes that can run with Memphis, also I think MSU can dictate tempo against Memphis. If Gordon can slow down Rose, I think Memphis will struggle and I really like MSU's chances against Memphis, a lot more than against KU/UNC/UCLA.

Also, Memphis has played just a few close games this year and I think they could play very tight if the game is close coming down the stretch.

Finally, I think a Rhodes/Dorsey matchup is just freaking awesome.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
MSU has to get there first, but I do agree. I think it's as good of a match up as State could get since you're an 8 seed.

Again, in their only loss, Memphis was outrebounded significantly by UT. MSU is a much better rebounding team and could easily end up controlling the boards. And I also think Varnado in the middle causes problems for Memphis's offense.

I still would expect Memphis to win, but I do think it's an undesirable match up for Memphis fans.

patdog

May 28, 2007
They're the worst #1 seed and have no inside game. Rhodes and Varnado would dominate them. But if we can't play Duke, Memphis is about as good as we could have hoped for.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Memphis did have impressive wins over Uconn, Arizona, and Georgetown, but I agree, it's better than UCLA or UNC. The only other argument could be Kansas due to their propensity to choke in the early rounds.

I like our draw because neither Oregon or Memphis will be inclined to slow it down and force us to play a half court offense. If Jamont can play like he did at Vandy or like he did in the NIT last year then we could make things interesting. We have plenty of time to gameplan for Oregon and Memphis so hopefully Stans can put something together to challenge Oregon's perimeter game. If we get to Memphis the key will be finding someone to guard CDR.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think they are a nightmare matchup for us. A Good shooting team that spreads the floor, taking away helpside and works you off the dribble.

The three teams I didn't want to see were Kansas, Duke and TN. And yes, I knew TN wouldn't be an opponent until very late if they were.

RaleighDawg.sixpack

Feb 24, 2008
patdog said:
They're the worst #1 seed and have no inside game. Rhodes and Varnado would dominate them. But if we can't play Duke, Memphis is about as good as we could have hoped for.

Good luck filling out your bracket...</p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
My bad. I haven't even seen the full bracket. Someone told me this morning they were a #1 and I couldn't believe it. I guess I should have checked. After now checking the bracket, I agree. Memphis is the best matchup we could have gotten. They'll still kick our ***, but our chances are better against them than the other 3.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login