It was not all bad last night

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The first half was as bad as I’ve seen in a long time, given the competition we were playing against. Given we got a rookie coach and a bunch of guys still learning to play with each other, I was pleasantly surprised by the second half. The defense gave us a chance to comeback in the second half and the offense moved the ball. I expected the team to fold and they didn’t.

Arizona state is better than I thought they would be but we are definitely as bad talent wise on the lines as I thought we would be going into the season. I don’t think this team will win a ton of games this year but I do like what I saw from Lebby in the second half by keeping the team composed.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
And being exposed for not having SEC-level talent against B12 talent is all bad. But I do appreciate the lack of giving up by the boys. A 24 point deficit is pretty touch to come back from. We’ve done it once but it’s still rare.

ugabully

Feb 10, 2012
The first half was as bad as I’ve seen in a long time, given the competition we were playing against. Given we got a rookie coach and a bunch of guys still learning to play with each other, I was pleasantly surprised by the second half. The defense gave us a chance to comeback in the second half and the offense moved the ball. I expected the team to fold and they didn’t.

Arizona state is better than I thought they would be but we are definitely as bad talent wise on the lines as I thought we would be going into the season. I don’t think this team will win a ton of games this year but I do like what I saw from Lebby in the second half by keeping the team composed.
I'll admit that I went to bed at the half because the first half made me feel really sick-sad and then I felt dumb for feeling that bad.

But when I checked the score first thing this morning, I was relieved. I was expecting a shameful blowout and instead it was a one score loss to what seemed to me to be a pretty good team. And it looked like MSU held them to only a field goal in the second half.

Did MSU really rally and get some stuff together or did ASU take their foot off the gas completely offensively?

Reactions: WilCoDawg

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I'll admit that I went to bed at the half because the first half made me feel really sick-sad and then I felt dumb for feeling that bad.

But when I checked the score first thing this morning, I was relieved. I was expecting a shameful blowout and instead it was a one score loss to what seemed to me to be a pretty good team. And it looked like MSU held them to only a field goal in the second half.

Did MSU really rally and get some stuff together or did ASU take their foot off the gas completely offensively?
We had them biting their nails up until the last 3 minutes when all they had to do was run the ball and clock. Hell, even White Chocolate slid just shy of the goal line so they could run the clock at the end. It was actually getting good until their last series and then all hope was abandoned.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Arizona state is better than I thought they would be
Arizona St. is where we were last week. A false high after a big win over a terrible team.

Reactions: 85Bears

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not being able to run the ball in a run-first offense constitutes "all bad".
It was all bad in that we don’t have sec talent. On defense we somehow don’t even have P4 talent, unless their transfer rb from Sacramento state is somehow the next Eddie George.

But despite some mistakes, I thought we looked decently coached on offense. We just couldn’t recover from the mistakes because our D was so bad.

so yes, all bad for this year. But if we suddenly find another 8 figures to put into NIL next year, I think we’ll be fine.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

We actually made some stops on defense, although couldn’t at the end. Also, Arizona state for some reason felt compelled to keep trying to pass the ball, and that definitely helped us get back in the game.

I’m certainly not proclaiming I’m optimistic about this team, I’m not. I think 0-8 in the sec is certainly possible. I’m just saying I was encouraged by the fact that Lebby kept the team engaged and fighting.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008

Let's see, we made adjustments at the half I guess. WHY could we not make those adjustments in the first quarter?
That was pitiful.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
The pitiful Offensive PI followed by a play or two later a defensive TD changed the game I thought.
May not have changed the outcome, but that was a 14 point swing.
I didn’t watch the second half but we did outscore them 20-3.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I agree! I went to bed at halftime and had a great night's sleep. Had I stayed up I would have been really tired today!

Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We will only win games we can out score the opponent. We are really lacking in lineman and linebackers, but I guess you've heard it already. There is no reason for me to really rub it in. Will be really lucky if we don't end up at the bottom of the Southeastern Conference. It has really been quite some time since we have been at this level, but we hopefully we will trend up the rest of this season on offense. I don't know what we can do to help our defense this year. Any suggestions?

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
We will only win games we can out score the opponent. We are really lacking in lineman and linebackers, but I guess you've heard it already. There is no reason for me to really rub it in. Will be really lucky if we don't end up at the bottom of the Southeastern Conference. It has really been quite some time since we have been at this level, but we hopefully we will trend up the rest of this season on offense. I don't know what we can do to help our defense this year. Any suggestions?
Anderson, and especially Dinkins, returning from injury will help the line. When Dink when down in the EKU game, we started getting pushed around a little bit—hasn’t stopped since. That unit has to be at 100% to have a chance of looking competent.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This is the worst MSU football team in 20+ years. There’s just no sugarcoating it.

Saying that “at least we didn’t lay down” against a pathetic ASU team is like taking solace in us not laying down against Oregon in 2003 after going down 28-0 in the first quarter, except that its even worse because that Oregon team was actually good. The makeup of this team is stunningly similar to that 2003 version….some talent at QB and WR, but not much else. At least 2003 had Norwood.

We are where everyone knew we would be when NIL took hold. It’s just not going to be pretty moving forward.

Reactions: patdog and 85Bears

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
once we get into SEC play I am doubtful this o line can provide Shapen time to operate, teams are going to go after Pounders. gotta be able to protect well enough to put up points.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Yeah it was all bad. 30-3 half way thru the 3rd and people want to give us credit for coming back?

At 30-3, ASU stopped. Game was over. Game plan changed. When they had to turn it back on. They did. And could have punched it in at the end if they were after beauty points.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
The first half was as bad as I’ve seen in a long time, given the competition we were playing The against. Given we got a rookie coach and a bunch of guys still learning to play with each other, I was pleasantly surprised by the second half. The defense gave us a chance to comeback in the second half and the offense moved the ball. I expected the team to fold and they didn’t.

The PI call that took away the TD followed by the crappy fumble scoop and score sequence was the back breaker. That's a 14 point swing that changed everything.

Jul 11, 2024
The first half was as bad as I’ve seen in a long time, given the competition we were playing against.
I am not saying we played the greatest team ever or that we dont have concerns because we do.

But ASU had a combined 70 plus starts on their offensive line. I haven't looked at their defensive line yet.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I am not saying we played the greatest team ever or that we dont have concerns because we do.

But ASU had a combined 70 plus starts on their offensive line. I haven't looked at their defensive line yet.
Yeah, I don’t think Arizona state is as bad as some on here want to think. Not great either but certainly not terrible

Reactions: paindonthurt17

GoDawgz52

Aug 21, 2023
Bleeding the game clock at the end of the 3rd and all of the 4th qtr was smart, but it did allow State to have a chance.
The fumble was a dagger.
I hope they enjoy their "first win over an SEC opponent" because ASU will finish with at least 5 losses maybe 6.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah it was all bad. 30-3 half way thru the 3rd and people want to give us credit for coming back?

At 30-3, ASU stopped. Game was over. Game plan changed. When they had to turn it back on. They did. And could have punched it in at the end if they were after beauty points.
I’m not saying we deserve pats on the back for cutting to 7 but I watched teams let off the gas on us all year last season and we still couldn’t freaking score. I’ll at least acknowledge that we eventually had a pulse. That’s not always the case for us. Speaks more to how bad it’s been at times than it is a compliment to us on Saturday.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah, I don’t think Arizona state is as bad as some on here want to think. Not great either but certainly not terrible
A decent defensive line and linebacking group will shut that offense down. It really was us playing that bad Saturday night.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login