It's amazing what one year can do

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Everyone was thinking that Arnett would at worst have gotten us to 6 wins and that this program could run itself on autopilot (only one person had us with a losing record in the prognosticators thread). Now you won't find a soul on this board that would take a 10-to-1 bet that we'd get to 6 wins next year and the consensus is that we're doomed to be relegated to the Sun Belt by the end of the decade.

StarkDog98

Nov 11, 2023
Everyone was thinking that Arnett would at worst have gotten us to 6 wins and that this program could run itself on autopilot (only one person had us with a losing record in the prognosticators thread). Now you won't find a soul on this board that would take a 10-to-1 bet that we'd get to 6 wins next year and the consensus is that we're doomed to be relegated to the Sun Belt by the end of the decade.
No faith in the roster right now. I’m high on lebby and the offensive coaches.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I think there’s been a natural optimism that has come all our recent coaching hires and that led to skewed expectations in their first seasons.

With JoeMo, we knew we were stacked on D and just assumed the offense would stay at the same level or even improve. With Leach, we hired one of the greatest offensive coaches in history and signed our highest rated QB ever. Told ourselves it’s an easy offense to implement so not having a Spring won’t matter as much.

Then with Arnett we expected the D to stay the same and that having a more balanced offense would benefit Rogers.

It’s pretty easy to talk yourself into excitement with a new coach and I did it as much as anyone. But I think we’ve all learned our lesson about what to expect in a year 1, especially with the skeleton crew of returning talent we have.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Not everyone. I thought we'd be lucky to get to 6 last year. Inexperienced first time head coach, complete change of offensive philosophy, loss of our best playmaker (RaRa), returning everyone from a gritty but very slow defense.....etc.... What I didn't expect was the crap that we actually put on the field. 5-7 while looking like Mullen in 2009 would have been acceptable in my book. Instead, we looked like a 5-7 Croom team and thankfully the trigger was pulled when it was so he wouldn't have a chance to sneak that 6th win which would have had half of our fanbase clamoring for an extension of the ****-show.

Reactions: Dawg84

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We returned a lot going into last year so people thought that would help Arnett. It didn’t.

Lebby inherits a team that returns basically nothing from a 5-7 (1-7) season. Tempered expectations are perfectly fair and probably the way to view things. It’s gonna take a little while to clean up the mess that the roster was allowed to become.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Honestly, I had no expectations for 2023 since we were in very uncharted waters as a program.

New coach combined with portal and NIL dynamics makes betting on this program a risky proposition, at best. Based on history of watching this program for decades, yeah, all I see is 3 wins in 2024. If they do better than that, I'll be impressed. This is a hard reset.

However, we are NOT Sun Belt material..... (American Athletic Conference perhaps)********

Reactions: JoeSchmedlap

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
I'd put good money on a 10-1 bet we get to 6 wins next year
the 6 win thesis is that you win 4 non-conf games then take AR and FL at home?
as we sit here today high probability losses to TX, GA, TN, MO, OM, and TAMU
maybe slight underdog to FL at home
more or less even--to slight favorite with AR at home
don't know about your non-conf opponents but you typically win those.
i'm guessing over under bet on win total opens at 4.5 to 5.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Leach was a much better coach than many people credited him to be.

Arnett was not ready to lead a program at this level.

Nobody knows for sure about Lebby. I'm guessing that he falls somewhere in between Leach and Arnett. (I suppose that I didn't really go out on a limb in making that prediction.)

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

Nobody knows for sure about Lebby. I'm guessing that he falls somewhere in between Leach and Arnett. (I suppose that I didn't really go out on a limb in making that prediction.)
Leach was a Dinosaur that was going to get eaten alive in the new NIL world.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

That's only the consensus of the idiots who post too much and think too little.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

Leach was a great coach running his system. Who knows what would have happened this season. 2024 was looking to be a challenge even with Leach at the helm. The lack of recruiting other positions besides QB and WR was always going to set us back. And whether he passed away, retired, or moved on to another job, we were destined to fall off a cliff as soon as he left. There was ALWAYS going to be a total rebuild as soon as he left the program. Sad, unfortunate circumstances lead us to that rebuild much more quickly than anybody wanted us to, but it happened and life goes on. The college football world mourned our situation for 2 months and after that it is business as usual and we were back to being poor ol MSU.

Reactions: patdog

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
Looking at the 247 ratings on transfer players--

OM ------10 signed avg rating 90.3
State---- 10 signed avg rating 86.3.

This is why I am disinclined to accept Selmon's claim that MSU's NIL funding is at a "championship level."
I am puzzled why he would make such a claim...

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
It would be a whole lot easier to make the playoffs after an undefeated run in the sun belt conference ……..

Reactions: JoeSchmedlap

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Lebby seems to be going all in for improving the offense (coaches and players) and accepting that our defense will not be very good. That has been the way of where he has been (Ole Miss, UCF, OKla) and most teams in Big 12 and Pac 12 stack talent on their offense over their defense. I hope we will be surprised with our defense next season, but I'm not counting on it. I'm praying that our offense will be able to put 30 or more points on the board each game cuz that is the only chance we have to win any games. This season we had 2 of the best linebackers we have ever had here and I would still rate our overall defense as poor. I don't see any of our signings on defense making us better next season.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
what i am confused about is the Selmon claim of "championship" level NIL and then no effort to compete for better players in the portal--other than your portal qb who is supposed to be a very good player. So where is the money???

Hear OM is fishing for your big guy on the o-line....don't know if that is factual.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

This is why I am disinclined to accept Selmon's claim that MSU's NIL funding is at a "championship level."
what championships has scUM secured since the era in which most of us were not even alive?

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
what i am confused about is the Selmon claim of "championship" level NIL and then no effort to compete for better players in the portal--other than your portal qb who is supposed to be a very good player. So where is the money???

Hear OM is fishing for your big guy on the o-line....don't know if that is factual.
Our coach has been on the job for a couple of weeks and has recruited better than the previous coach did in a year.

when we get time to tamper too.. out portal pickups will look better as well.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

What is he supposed to say, dipsнit?

“Our NIL funding is mediocre at best. Would not attend. In fact, I’m thinking about going back to OU, cause these mother 17ing cigar boys out here are smoking Swisher Sweets. I’m looking for alumni smoking Cohiba and Arturo Fuentes.”

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Leach was a great coach running his system. Who knows what would have happened this season. 2024 was looking to be a challenge even with Leach at the helm. The lack of recruiting other positions besides QB and WR was always going to set us back. And whether he passed away, retired, or moved on to another job, we were destined to fall off a cliff as soon as he left. There was ALWAYS going to be a total rebuild as soon as he left the program. Sad, unfortunate circumstances lead us to that rebuild much more quickly than anybody wanted us to, but it happened and life goes on. The college football world mourned our situation for 2 months and after that it is business as usual and we were back to being poor ol MSU.
Not really an accurate epitaph , Arnett and his buddies nuked the program making a manageable rebuild into a disaster, especially bad timing given the pay for play world of nil.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020

“Our NIL funding is mediocre at best. Would not attend. In fact, I’m thinking about going back to OU, cause these mother 17ing cigar boys out here are smoking Swisher Sweets. I’m looking for alumni smoking Cohiba and Arturo Fuentes.”i

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020

“Our NIL funding is mediocre at best. Would not attend. In fact, I’m thinking about going back to OU, cause these mother 17ing cigar boys out here are smoking Swisher Sweets. I’m looking for alumni smoking Cohiba and Arturo Fuentes.”
My this board has quite a collection of ignorant folks who race to employ personal insults...simply pathetic.
Instead of misrepresenting your NIL funding Selmon should have simply refrained from mentioning the topic. The NIL is not his personal responsibility and not within his jurisdiction as AD.
I was watching when Selmon claimed your NIL was 'championship' level...was shocked he made that statement.
However, from your remarks, it appears that you are of the opinion that it is perfectly legitimate for your AD to make a misrepresention in order to create the illlusion that your school is actually competitive in a particular arena....which is also pathetic.

• Angry
Reactions: Anon1697564126

tired

Sep 16, 2013
My this board has quite a collection of ignorant folks who race to employ personal insults...simply pathetic.
Instead of misrepresenting your NIL funding Selmon should have simply refrained from mentioning the topic. The NIL is not his personal responsibility and not within his jurisdiction as AD.
I was watching when Selmon claimed your NIL was 'championship' level...was shocked he made that statement.
However, from your remarks, it appears that you are of the opinion that it is perfectly legitimate for your AD to make a misrepresention in order to create the illlusion that your school is actually competitive in a particular arena....which is also pathetic.
You come on here with your passive-aggressive ******** insults & jabs, and wonder why we hurl insults back? If you're confused, or don't like what OUR AD has to say, GTFO. No1 is keeping you here, or forcing you to watch/listen/read.

Most everything you say is negative & insulting. We all know that is purposeful.

If you can't understand why Selmon, the Athletic Director for The Mississippi State University would make positive remarks about OUR program, you can't be helped.

Selmon isn't the one that is pathetic. Doesn't surprise me that you lack self awareness.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

This statement is most likely made for the purposes of PR and hype and nothing more. It's pablum for the media and put no stock in it and take no stock out of it.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Hahaha. This coming from a UM can. Dude… your whole existence is an eminence front. All of it. There is nothing you dimwits will not misrepresent or create an illusion of.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Not really an accurate epitaph , Arnett and his buddies nuked the program making a manageable rebuild into a disaster, especially bad timing given the pay for play world of nil.
Yes it is accurate. Of course Arnept nuked the program. But, at best, this past season was a stopgap. Even if he had tried to kee the entire staff in tact there was no guarantee that all of them were gonna stay and work for him. And that offense wasn’t going to be the same regardless because Leach wasn’t there to call the plays.

The folks thinking we could just play Err Rajd and win 9 games were fooling themselves and diminishing the Leach impact.

So, like I said, we were facing a total 180 rebuild of the program regardless. Whether that would have been 2024,25,26. Whenever Leach left it was going to be bad.

Unfortunate circumstances of course. But fortunate in a way for the program that we could go ahead and get the painful part past us sooner rather than later. Now maybe Lebby can right the ship and the future will be better for it.

Oct 17, 2023
Why is this condescending ******* still here?

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yes it is accurate. Of course Arnept nuked the program. But, at best, this past season was a stopgap. Even if he had tried to kee the entire staff in tact there was no guarantee that all of them were gonna stay and work for him. And that offense wasn’t going to be the same regardless because Leach wasn’t there to call the plays.

The folks thinking we could just play Err Rajd and win 9 games were fooling themselves and diminishing the Leach impact.

So, like I said, we were facing a total 180 rebuild of the program regardless. Whether that would have been 2024,25,26. Whenever Leach left it was going to be bad.

Unfortunate circumstances of course. But fortunate in a way for the program that we could go ahead and get the painful part past us sooner rather than later. Now maybe Lebby can right the ship and the future will be better for it.
You keep saying this idiotic shlt but it’s obvious that Leach’s players are the ones could actually play. Muh MiKe WrIgHt!!!111

And it’s looking like Lebby is closer to the Air Raid than anything else all you RuN dA bAwL mouth breathers want. Of course, we will see if he instills the discipline and structure Leach did, which is so desperately needed at MSU.

Me thinks Selmon will be gone before all these chickens come home to roost. He’s already done his job, which was to marginally increase NIL so we could bring up the tail end of the SEC like we always do. And you dipshits just eat it up.

What sucks is that there’s a lot of you mouth breathers out there and it’s like a generational curse or something. Miss &take baby

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
You keep saying this idiotic shlt but it’s obvious that Leach’s players are the ones could actually play. Muh MiKe WrIgHt!!!111

And it’s looking like Lebby is closer to the Air Raid than anything else all you RuN dA bAwL mouth breathers want. Of course, we will see if he instills the discipline and structure Leach did, which is so desperately needed at MSU.

Me thinks Selmon will be gone before all these chickens come home to roost. He’s already done his job, which was to marginally increase NIL so we could bring up the tail end of the SEC like we always do. And you dipshits just eat it up.

What sucks is that there’s a lot of you mouth breathers out there and it’s like a generational curse or something. Miss &take baby
Start with everyone getting the same hair cut military style! Seems to work for Air Force!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login