It's been a rough day

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Today was a super tough day for me. Two people I never met died today and it broke me. One I'd known of for decades and one I'd never heard of.

Today Mike Leach passed away at 61. He didn't deserve to die so young but he did. I've watched as story after story has been shared online and in the media about Mike Leach. He could carry a room effortlessly. I loved the "Mike Leach" I created in my mind. He was me but different. He was the me I wished I was. Like him, I want to know everything, I'm curious about everything but I never ask; I don't like talking to people. Mike was on the other end of the spectrum. Everyone was willing to talk to him and he wanted to hear from everyone, ask him questions and he'd turn them around on you so at the end of the day he knew more about you than you him.

The best Mike Leach stories were the ones where he was asking the questions, where he was leading the dialogue. He was a genius trying to figure everyone else out. He was a rare breed, most geniuses are too introspective to engage, not Mike. He was the rare extrovert genius. That's what made him The Pirate. He'll be remembered forever.

He was an amazing soul and I'll be honest, I wish I could spend just one evening listening to him talk.

Today a little boy passed away at 2. That little boy didn't deserve to die but he did. There were few stories about him and he was never named. He wouldn't have died if any number of people would have stepped up and saved his life before he entered mine. The signs were there, people saw, but they didn't ask the questions, they didn't want to know the answers. They didn't let the right people know. There were no remembrances because very few knew he existed. I wouldn't have known he existed if he hadn't been brought in my clinic. He arrived not breathing and he left the same way. He never had a chance. Not in this life. Chances are very good he'll be forgotten in a few weeks.

He was an amazing little soul and I'll be honest, I wish I could spend an evening just snuggling him while he talked.

I don't do emotions. But if I did, I'd be pissed and happy at the same time.

Im pissed Mike Leach was taken before "his time". I'm pissed he never got to retire to Key West. I'm pissed I couldn't save little man's life. I'm pissed those who could have saved his life didn't. I'm pissed the authorities didn't intervene when they should have. There will be a reckoning and I plan to be there.

I'm also happy to know that both Mike Leach and unnamed baby boy are in heaven. Mike was a believer and baby boy was covered as well. I can't wait to meet them both.

I do hope they arrived at the same time so Mike could show little man around. Can you imagine Mike Leach on the same tour of heaven as you? No chance you have additional questions.

I love you all but if I ever find out you saw something and didn't say something we're going to have a problem.

This was my favorite picture I saw today.

Mike wasn't afraid to share his faith. Please pray. Pray for my wife who was there all day with baby boy, pray for our clinic staff, pray our community, pray that I can find a way to glorify God, find accountability, and not be arrested. It's going to be a rough spell. Mike taught me to keep swinging my sword and I plan to for baby boy.

Attachments

• F44BC167-0CC8-4676-80A5-455A7DB12432.jpeg
    F44BC167-0CC8-4676-80A5-455A7DB12432.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 8

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
This post punched me right in the stomach. I’m sorry for what you experienced today and I’m not afraid to admit that I’ve shed a few tears while reading it. Your post reeks of genuine and that is so rare in this internet age where everybody is just cruising message boards and Facebook looking to land the next zinger.

Like you, I pray that little boy met The Pirate at the Golden Gates and I hope he held his little hand as they walked through them together. I hope that my mom and dad, whom never had a chance to meet my two year old, have held that little fella in their laps and listened to him marvel at the heaven around them. And I hope that Mike Leach is regaling them with stories of Halloween candy and fat, little girlfriends right now. My God, what a beautiful thought on such a somber day.

Thanks for posting this.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login