It's been said before, but let me say it again...

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I like Neil MOST of the time, but, he gets too excited for me to really appreciate him all the time.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
I like Neil MOST of the time, but, he gets too excited for me to really appreciate him all the time.

I tend to think the same - sounds too much like the Ole Miss crew calling players by their nicknames and shrilling out.

I feel like it's probably my personal problem though - the music's too loud because I'm too old - that sort of thing.

Reactions: 17itdawg

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
Like most everyone here I grew up listening to Jack and Jim. Is Neil either of them? No, but I don't think he tries to be either. I listen to him a good bit especially during basketball season. I think he's a great mix of what play by play has become and the old school style.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Neil is great. He's better than most.

He has a few small annoyances. Sometimes he over-articulates what's going on in the play and doesn't focus on key things, like yards gained. I hate that I have to wait 30 seconds to hear whether we gained three or eight yards on the play.

It's kinda not fair to judge him, though, understanding that he's compared against Jack Cristil, who was the GOAT, and Jim Ellis, who was very underrated before he got older. Neil also has an excellent sidekick - Wyatt is pretty good at what he does.

Reactions: msstatelp1

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Price is a real pro. And he's getting better. It would probably do him good to take a few puffs off a fat one or pop a gummie or two, before kick off.

But we have one of the better broadcasting teams in the country with him and Matt. Most football announcers are harder to listen to than Kellum and that OM crew.

I hope he stays with us for a while.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm an older guy. Listened to a ton of Cristil, Ellis, Correro games.

I love all of them, but for me, I think you get significantly more depth of analysis from the current trio than the old crew.

Jack was an absolute pro as a tell the story with some personality play by play man. Wyatt to me is the difference. I love Jim, but Matt's depth of knowledge as a QB doing color for a team that is so QB focused is the difference. He just brings out a ton of things I'd never know without him.

And Jay is good bringing out a few deep background things that Correro just never did.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I tend to think the same - sounds too much like the Ole Miss crew calling players by their nicknames and shrilling out.

I feel like it's probably my personal problem though - the music's too loud because I'm too old - that sort of thing.
I rarely listen to a broadcast, so it's not a big deal to me either way, but I can't stand listening to broadcast crews that are such homers you can't really tell what's going on. As far as I can tell from the games I listen to in the car because there's nothing better to do, that's the approach of most schools' announcing teams.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
A+ for having the balls to replace Jack. Kinda like the guy who will eventuallly end up replacing Saban. Neil is A OKAY in my book and having Matt there is a Big Big Plus.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Neil is great. He's better than most.

He has a few small annoyances. Sometimes he over-articulates what's going on in the play and doesn't focus on key things, like yards gained. I hate that I have to wait 30 seconds to hear whether we gained three or eight yards on the play.

It's kinda not fair to judge him, though, understanding that he's compared against Jack Cristil, who was the GOAT, and Jim Ellis, who was very underrated before he got older. Neil also has an excellent sidekick - Wyatt is pretty good at what he does.
I like Neil, who has gotten better than when he first arrived, way better than 2000s Jack Cristil. Jack was done well before he retired and was hard to follow. I loved having Jim Ellis for the time he did football. You could hear his love for MSU in his voice, especially during the Dak years.

Reactions: MagicDawg

wasabaka

Sep 17, 2012
I like Neil, who has gotten better than when he first arrived, way better than 2000s Jack Cristil. Jack was done well before he retired and was hard to follow. I loved having Jim Ellis for the time he did football. You could hear his love for MSU in his voice, especially during the Zak years.
FIFY

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
I'm an older guy. Listened to a ton of Cristil, Ellis, Correro games.

I love all of them, but for me, I think you get significantly more depth of analysis from the current trio than the old crew.

Jack was an absolute pro as a tell the story with some personality play by play man. Wyatt to me is the difference. I love Jim, but Matt's depth of knowledge as a QB doing color for a team that is so QB focused is the difference. He just brings out a ton of things I'd never know without him.

And Jay is good bringing out a few deep background things that Correro just never did.
My favorite Correroism was “ yep, ( insert penalty or situation here) that’s exactly what it was, back to you, Jack!”

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login