It's been said by others...

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I thought the same thing at first, but his lack of desire to recruit would kill him. That state has very little talent. Nebraska isn't a national brand to 17 year olds. It doesn't recruit itself any more.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
But I think that’s why it’s a great fit. You aren’t going to win at Nebraska out recruiting folks. You have to identify and develop. And run an offense that fits. I think his does. Nebraska’s problem is they haven’t accepted who they are now.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Mullen would take lower ranked recruits, develop them, toughen them up, but in the end, he is still playing in a major conference against teams that recruit blue chips. He would often beat the Minnesotas, Northwesterns, and Illinois, but lose every year to the power programs much like he did here. He aint beating Michigan and Ohio State and probably not Wisconsin. Nebraska wants to get back to their past glory and the only way to do that is hiring Tom Osborne 2.0. The coach needs to recruit nationally and have a more modern offensive system for today's game. Lincoln Riley would have been the correct hire a few years ago, but they missed that boat.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yeach. None of that is going to happen. They aren’t getting a Lincoln Riley. They aren’t going to recruit nationally. Kids don’t even know Nebraska used to be a power. Which is why I said their problem is they won’t accept who they are.

I do think the suggestion of Freeze is a good idea. He would work well there.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Yeach. None of that is going to happen. They aren’t getting a Lincoln Riley. They aren’t going to recruit nationally. Kids don’t even know Nebraska used to be a power. Which is why I said their problem is they won’t accept who they are.

Freeze would be the best hire. He’ll do well with NIL. And Nebraska like our friends up the road are cultish and insulated enough to ignore his weirdness as long as he’s winning ballgames.

I don’t think Freeze could survive at a big time national program.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

100% agree. I don't know about the Lincoln Riley part, who knows if he's truly a good coach or just rode the wave at OU. But agree that Mullen would do well. They need to get back to Pelini territory before they start thinking about recruiting nationally.

Even back in the old days, they had to take problem prop-48 guys. This got explained to me a few weeks back on this board. So stands to reason they need to get comfortable with JUCOs and transfers if they ever want to get back.

Freeze? Not sure. He might be another Frost. I mean any of these coaches can recruit if the boosters decide to do it big.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I have been reading Husker board, the devil gets board during the day without hell to run and all. I am amazed with the high esteem Nebraska fans hold their head coaching job. And hey I get it 30 to 40 years Nebraska was a big deal. That being said some of the candidates on their list are amazing. Some of the names I see repeated are Aranda, Gundy, Fickell, ect…. I just can not see a coach leaving a program that is in better shape to come to Nebraska. Maybe I am wrong.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
On the flip side, they have three Targets in Lincoln. Just sayin'....

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Jokes aside- We rode through Downtown Lincoln on an off day during the CWS (the one where we won the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP) and it looks incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I have been reading Husker board, the devil gets board during the day without hell to run and all. I am amazed with the high esteem Nebraska fans hold their head coaching job. And hey I get it 30 to 40 years Nebraska was a big deal. That being said some of the candidates on their list are amazing. Some of the names I see repeated are Aranda, Gundy, Fickell, ect…. I just can not see a coach leaving a program that is in better shape to come to Nebraska. Maybe i am wrong.
Isn't their entire history essentially one guy (Osborne)? I mean congrats to them, they had their fun in the sun back before TV and when they could take partial qualifiers. They and Notre Dame. And because they did, they get to enjoy calling themselves a 'national power' and a pretty big following.

I just don't see either one being truly relevant anymore when it comes to sheer competition on the field. Tennessee is the in the same boat but I do feel like UT has a 'chance', being in the south and with Nashville growing and starting to produce prospects.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I have been reading Husker board, the devil gets board during the day without hell to run and all. I am amazed with the high esteem Nebraska fans hold their head coaching job. And hey I get it 30 to 40 years Nebraska was a big deal. That being said some of the candidates on their list are amazing. Some of the names I see repeated are Aranda, Gundy, Fickell, ect…. I just can not see a coach leaving a program that is in better shape to come to Nebraska. Maybe I am wrong.

Yup. Taking the Nebraska job is basically a retirement job. You know you aren't going to meet their expectations, you know you're going to get fired. Only reason to take it is if you get a big guarantee so that afterword you can retire or take whatever coaching job that offers a better lifestyle. I guess a guy like Frost is young enough that he can go back to a G5 job and earn another shot, but I think any P5 AD that is considering him will be thinking in the back of his mind how it's going to play with the fan base if he hires a guy that got paid $15M to not coach at his last P5 job.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Agreed. Recruiting would be his downfall.

He could take a bunch of 3 Stars from Nebraska and other states and coach them up. Add in he will find that uncut diamond at some small school that ends up being a good player. They would compete in the Big 10.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
But I think that’s why it’s a great fit. You aren’t going to win at Nebraska out recruiting folks. You have to identify and develop. And run an offense that fits. I think his does. Nebraska’s problem is they haven’t accepted who they are now.

Yeah….they haven’t realized that. They didn’t pay $7.5 million to fire Frost 3 weeks early if they aren’t going to be throwing around stupid money at a guy who didn’t just fail miserably at a Top 5 program.

Last edited:

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
That strategy would equal 7-8 wins a season, and never playing a conference championship. Gets you on the record book at State. Gets you fired at Nebraska.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
South Bend or bust for dear old Danny boy
You raise an interesting point. I don't think ole Shorts will do well anywhere with super high expectations, and right or wrong, both ND and Corn Field U have those. Dude just doesn't realize how good he had it at State.

So the key for him is finding somewhere with plenty of resources, in-state talent, but not crazy expectations. First couple of places that come to mind for me is the big schools in NC and VA.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It depends. If he could recruit about the same as he did at state and develop he would be fine. Dan has a knack for finding athletes and developing them he could recruit Florida Louisiana Georgia and Mississippi just the same there. May not be able to compete against sec but a lot of schools come to the south for talent. He would certainly get most of the talent in Nebraska North Dakota and South Dakota of what there is. Those schools are usually pretty damn good small schools.

I think their is always a misnomer for Mullen being a bad recruiter. He doesn't get a lot of high stars and may be lazy with some recruits and not kids their *** but he has found some really good athletes and developed them to be nfl players

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's Nebraska's problem. They need to learn they aren't Ohio state, Michigan, or even penn state of the big 10 and will be lucky to sniff the playoff ever. 10 win season is probably their ceiling like ours is now.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He wouldn't have gone there. Nebraska just doesn't have the pull it did over 25 years ago

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think freeze would do well there. He's a snake oil salesman that has an over inflated value of self. So does Nebraska. He can sneaky recruit to and use the Bible to do it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
State really was the perfect job for him and he just didn't realize it. If he'd put a little more effort into preparing his team for late November games instead of job searching, he could still be making $6,000,000 per year minimum and winning an average of 8 games per season.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Lots of corn fed coeds for Freezus to chase and use to recruit in his sick televangelist way that he does it.

Aug 22, 2012
I just made a quick mental list of jobs I think are better than theirs and it's much longer than I think they'd like to admit. Realistically I think it's a top 30-40 job in college football.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Until his kid is in college, I don’t see Dan taking a job in a cold winter area. Unless his kid has quit golf.
Also, the distance required to travel for recruiting is a big deal to Dan. I don’t see him ever coaching outside of the southeast.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I just made a quick mental list of jobs I think are better than theirs and it's much longer than I think they'd like to admit. Realistically I think it's a top 30-40 job in college football.

Ignoring the expectations, it's a tough place to win but still a pretty good P5 job. They're the only player in the state of Nebraska, which isn't a hotbed for talent, but they still have almost 2 million people. But bordering Wyoming and South Dakota doesn't do them any favors. Neither does Colorado I guess? Colorado has over 5.5million people; you'd think even without living and breathing football like the southeast they'd still be able to support one decent football program, so not sure if their players just go out of state or if they really don't exist.

But all in all, if you look around them, Iowa and KSU do ok and they aren't in a much different position. Matching them doesn't seem unrealistic although that would probably still get you fired right now.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's true he had stayed southeast after getting fired. Maybe he is waiting for Georgia tech to open? Mullen in Georgia might work. They know they won't beat uga so no pressure.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login