It's deja vu all over again.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Where's the preseason hype for any State player by the media? Been a quite a while since I've seen such little regard for any of our players. For the preseason fanatic, this is uber depressing and for the rest of us definitely a bummer. We have hit bottom again, boys. We are lucky that we don't play Vandy, that would be a slugfest. **

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
There are just so many new faces. Jaden Walley should be a superstar by now after his Freshman season, but he’s disappeared. He must really love State since he hasn’t left and i respect him for that. Hopefully by game 6 Shapen, Traoire, and one of the Freshman WR are household names in the state.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Where's the preseason hype for any State player by the media? Been a quite a while since I've seen such little regard for any of our players. For the preseason fanatic, this is uber depressing and for the rest of us definitely a bummer. We have hit bottom again, boys. We are lucky that we don't play Vandy, that would be a slugfest. **

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
New landscape of college ball with the portal. Unless you land some blue chip transfers and your best players graduate or ship out you will get that and your coach is a greenhorn. This is the hype you will get which really is t much. Our best receiver from last year two years now plays for lsu. Our best linebackers are gone. Our dline doesn't have much to hope for either. Offense all our best starting players are transfers from either group of 5 teams or were backups or injured.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Which of the 3 returning starters do you feel isn’t getting enough preseason hype?

Offense: 0
Defense: 2
Special Teams: 1 (Kicker)

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
Hard to give hype to a team that has no returning starters on offense. We know what the transfers are capable of, but a media member is not going to care enough to do their research.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Hard to give hype to a team that has no returning starters on offense. We know what the transfers are capable of, but a media member is not going to care enough to do their research.
With just a couple of exceptions, the transfers aren't that highly rated either. And no, we don't know what they're capable of. For most, it won't be anything special.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Everybody gets a pass this year for the most part but I still think we have a shot at 6-7 wins if the offense clicks early and we get anything from the defense. We could have some guys put up good numbers.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm confident
Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Isn't this a little early to be talking ourselves into so pie in the sky scenario where we are good at football. I know it's been a hot summer but this kinda delusional talk is usually reserved for mid August when the Ms heat is boiling our brains.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
With just a couple of exceptions, the transfers aren't that highly rated either. And no, we don't know what they're capable of. For most, it won't be anything special.
I’d say that we should expect Shapen, Akharaiyi, Booth, and Coleman to be average at worst. I’m basing my expectations of their previous stats. If they perform below that, then I will stop expecting productive players to at least meet baseline standards. Offensive line is where the questions lie.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’d say that we should expect Shapen, Akharaiyi, Booth, and Coleman to be average at worst. I’m basing my expectations of their previous stats. If they perform below that, then I will stop expecting productive players to at least meet baseline standards. Offensive line is where the questions lie.
I think we'll be OK at QB and the center from LSU looks good. Transfers from Utah St. and UTEP, who knows? May be OK, may just not be SEC players. Transfer from Louisville had 26 receptions for 362 yards in ACC. Sounds a lot like most of our receivers the last 10 years.

Reactions: RiceDawg

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Yeah....we could call it the "Do My Homework and We'll Let You Catch a Pass Bowl". Winner guaranteed not to finish last in tbe SEC

Last edited:

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
I think we'll be OK at QB and the center from LSU looks good. Transfers from Utah St. and UTEP, who knows? May be OK, may just not be SEC players. Transfer from Louisville had 26 receptions for 362 yards in ACC. Sounds a lot like most of our receivers the last 10 years.
Tell me you did no research without telling me you did zero research….
Our center is the highest rated center in the portal by Pro Football Focus…. He went to north Texas not LSU… our starting guard will be either Jackson who was the starter at Texas tech or Martinez who was at LSU. Add in one of the best LT in the AAC last year in pounders as well as bring back Reese at guard and Bell at RT that’s going to be a very very solid OL.
Coleman was at Louisville last year and they didn’t target him near enough. The guy was SWAC freshman of the year in 22 at JSU…

patdog

May 28, 2007
Tell me you did no research without telling me you did zero research….
Our center is the highest rated center in the portal by Pro Football Focus…. He went to north Texas not LSU… our starting guard will be either Jackson who was the starter at Texas tech or Martinez who was at LSU. Add in one of the best LT in the AAC last year in pounders as well as bring back Reese at guard and Bell at RT that’s going to be a very very solid OL.
Coleman was at Louisville last year and they didn’t target him near enough. The guy was SWAC freshman of the year in 22 at JSU…
Yeah, can't believe I just totally discounted SWAC freshman of the year. It's the freaking SWAC. Big jump to the ACC and not surprisingly, his numbers went down. It's another much smaller jump to the SEC. I'm guessing his numbers at MSU will be closer to his Louisville numbers than his Jackson State numbers.

The guy from North Texas is a 3* transfer ranked #17 among IOL (centers + guards). The one I was referring to was Martinez from LSU. He's a 3* as well, but he's had injury issues. I think he can be good if he stays injury free.

Last edited:
Reactions: 85Bears

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I have concerns about Shapen and injuries. Even w/ no injuries I see maybe 6 W's. He's had a head injury in each of last 2 seasons and missed at least 3 games last year w/ MCL. If he goes down we are left w/ Chris Parson who has completed 5 passes for 12 yds and has rushed 5 times for 11 yds. Everybody else is FR or JUCO.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login