It's funny how Gendron's remarks surface just as Cohen is turning the program around

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
It's funny how Gendron's remarks surface just as Cohen is turning the program around

reminded me of this:

?I just got slapped in the face, punched in the stomach,? he said. ?All my coaches have been slapped in the face, punched in the stomach by a young athletic director who has absolutely no clue what he?s doing.?

Polk said he plans to send Byrne a letter that states ?within 48 hours, my name comes off the stadium, comes off the centerfield fence, the banner off the concourse comes down. It will remain down until (Byrne) gets fired or somebody runs him off.?

Polk said he intends to remove MSU from his will as long as Byrne is the AD.

I asked Polk if he was concerned what these statements would do to his legacy, he responded that he thinks people will recognize that ?he stood up for his boys.?

Polk, obviously, won?t be in attendance at tomorrow?s press conference that is expected to name Cohen, but that it wasn?t personal between he and Cohen. Polk said he spoke with Cohen two days ago about the job. ?I?m not castigating John Cohen,? Polk said. ?He probably felt like if he wasn?t going to take it, somebody else would.?

And one more: ?All this might say ?Well, sour grapes?,? Polk said. ?It is sour grapes, yeah.<span style="text-decoration:underline"> I think I'm the athletic director for baseball. I deserve that right.</span>?

Now that?s just sad. He should step up and apologize for these words. I hoped he?d remain an ambassador for the school and for college baseball. Now I?m not sure there?s a good ending to this.

UPDATE?.

Wow, Veazey?s blog was just the start. Check out what Ron has said through Greg Ellis? blog.<span style="text-decoration:underline"> Polk says he?ll remove the MSU foundation from his will and remove all player information from the head coach?s office. Also says he'll ask former players stop donating to MSU</span>.

Polk II only finished higher than 7th in the SEC twice out of seven seasons
Polk II won 1 regional- hosted a Super because the national seed lost- and ended up in the CWS- in 7 years

Cohen won a regional in just 3 seasons
He has us in battling to finish in the top half of the SEC for the 2nd season in a row (hasnt been done since 2000 and 2001)
We return a large majority of our team for next season

We're paying him to get the program in the top half of the SEC, get in Regionals and Supers, and make the CWS every few years. He is not Polk, nor do we want him to be. He does things differently. Right or wrong- he will be judged on program success. And right now, signs point to the program moving back up the SEC ladder. Is he finished rebuilding? Hell no- but the improvement is there.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012

reminded me of this:

?I just got slapped in the face, punched in the stomach,? he said. ?All my coaches have been slapped in the face, punched in the stomach by a young athletic director who has absolutely no clue what he?s doing.?

Polk said he plans to send Byrne a letter that states ?within 48 hours, my name comes off the stadium, comes off the centerfield fence, the banner off the concourse comes down. It will remain down until (Byrne) gets fired or somebody runs him off.?

Polk said he intends to remove MSU from his will as long as Byrne is the AD.

I asked Polk if he was concerned what these statements would do to his legacy, he responded that he thinks people will recognize that ?he stood up for his boys.?

Polk, obviously, won?t be in attendance at tomorrow?s press conference that is expected to name Cohen, but that it wasn?t personal between he and Cohen. Polk said he spoke with Cohen two days ago about the job. ?I?m not castigating John Cohen,? Polk said. ?He probably felt like if he wasn?t going to take it, somebody else would.?

And one more: ?All this might say ?Well, sour grapes?,? Polk said. ?It is sour grapes, yeah.<span style="text-decoration:underline"> I think I'm the athletic director for baseball. I deserve that right.</span>?

Now that?s just sad. He should step up and apologize for these words. I hoped he?d remain an ambassador for the school and for college baseball. Now I?m not sure there?s a good ending to this.

UPDATE?.

Wow, Veazey?s blog was just the start. Check out what Ron has said through Greg Ellis? blog.<span style="text-decoration:underline"> Polk says he?ll remove the MSU foundation from his will and remove all player information from the head coach?s office. Also says he'll ask former players stop donating to MSU</span>.

Polk II only finished higher than 7th in the SEC twice out of seven seasons
Polk II won 1 regional- hosted a Super because the national seed lost- and ended up in the CWS- in 7 years

Cohen won a regional in just 3 seasons
He has us in battling to finish in the top half of the SEC for the 2nd season in a row (hasnt been done since 2000 and 2001)
We return a large majority of our team for next season

We're paying him to get the program in the top half of the SEC, get in Regionals and Supers, and make the CWS every few years. He is not Polk, nor do we want him to be. He does things differently. Right or wrong- he will be judged on program success. And right now, signs point to the program moving back up the SEC ladder. Is he finished rebuilding? Hell no- but the improvement is there.

engie

May 29, 2011

Gendron didn't start whining until we started winning. Then he lies nonstop to all 200 of his twitter followers to try to make Cohen look bad.

The bad thing is... He "may" have some legitimate complaints, but they immediately are dismissed because of the other lies and the way he's gone about addressing them.

He never accomplished anything at State. Nothing. Never lived up to our standards. He sat idly by along with Polk and allowed Bianco to build a powerhouse up the road, on th backs of instate talent that Polk didn't bother to recruit(most of which grew up as state fans).

A whiny, entitled *****... And he wonders why Cohen cleaned house

engie

May 29, 2011

The abolishing of the foster parent program may be a legit beef. I don't personally know anything about is

SnakePlissken

Feb 24, 2008

It was providing extra benefits not received by other students. Cohen didn't do that.

engie

May 29, 2011

Wow, what a piece of work!

Like I say, I didn't/don't know anything about it...

cowbells

Dec 23, 2008

We've played Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Alabama the last 3 weekends. These teams have combined SEC records of 26-46 and we've played 2 of 3 at home. We're hitting at a .225 clip as a team. Not sure that's ever been done before. In fact, if we hit .400 the next two weekends we still won't even get to .250. Let the next few weeks play out before you start mentioning a "turn around."

engie

May 29, 2011

We have won 12 games in the SEC out of 24. We have played ZERO with our starting 9 healthy. We've played OVER half with FOUR or LESS of the opening day 9 on the field. Our fr All-American centerfielder has been hurt the entire conference season. Our opening day Friday night starter has thrown NO meaningful innings all season due to injury. Our all-SEC fr 3b has played injured after starting out batting .400 and his production has tailed off.

We're going back to the SEC tournament. We're going back to regionals. And we're doing it on the backs of a bunch of guys that were playing highschool ball this time last year and pitchers that you were dismissing as busts this time last year!

Fire Cohenz! Fire Butch Thompson!

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

but I have never met any coach more arrogant or egotistical. I dreaded it when he was brought back for Polk II because it was obvious by that time his priorities had shifted from running a championship program anywhere to being "the spokesman and saviour of college baseball" which only further fed his own view of his importance in the college baseball world. Nothing about his temper tantrum surprised me when he didn't get his way at the end of his MSU tenure. He is a guy with a huge ego that had enough "worshippers" among the MSU fanbase and former players to enable his delusional idea that the MSU baseball program was his toy to do with as he pleased. I know most all successful head coaches have some arrogance to them but Ron Polk really took it to another level.

mstatefan88

Nov 30, 2008

Every time someone bitches at why we aren't playing as well as they expect us to, we should refer them to this post. If people think we aren't any better than 4 years ago and that Cohen hasn't at least taken us out of the cellar and moved us to the middle of the pack, there is nothing we can do to help them at this point.

TheBigDA

Aug 29, 2008

Due to the new bats, college batting averages are now going to be closer to MLB batting averages. 400 is no longer the college Mendoza line.

patdog

May 28, 2007

We have the exact same program we had for the majority of the Polk II era. Hell, Polk II had a BETTER record than Cohen does the last 2 years until the last season. We're worse offensively than we ever were under Polk II and the pitching is about the same. The results are about the same too. I hope Cohen does get it turned around. But he hasn't yet.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008

Ron Polk is mad that we are doing well.

What a small person.

engie

May 29, 2011

Cannotseetrends**

patdog

May 28, 2007

Maybe you could point it out to me.</p>

fang

Nov 29, 2010

at the 2nd farewell, but wasn't Mac Polk's choice at the 1st one?

engie

May 29, 2011

Sitting in their dorm rooms with their redshirts on can't hit.

On record once again: at this same point as a team next year, we will be hitting .280 with over 90 doubles and about 30 home runs.

But of course, experience means nothing...

patdog

May 28, 2007

Or JUCO transfers? You do realize these guys only have 5 years to play 4 don't you? And that if you want to be successful in college baseball you really need to be recruiting guys who are only going to be there for 3 years.

engie

May 29, 2011

How much combined sec experience prior to this season did we start last night against a likely first rounder on the road? What percentage of those that had experience were healthy? By all means, tell me more!

You continue to downplay experience, when it's been repeatedly shown just how important it is.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008

There is no doubt about that.

KurtRambis4

Aug 30, 2006

the people are not gleaning from having a young team. Cohen mentioning "youth" is really a mention of inexperience. Some do not get this. I realize there are teams that do well with young players. However, it's our inexperience that is hurting us, on offense.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Let's take a look at a few SEC batting averages:

Wes Rea - .169 - RS FR
Hunter Renfroe - .242 - SO - 1 Letter
Sam Frost - .226 - JR - 2L
Mitch Slaughter - .226 - JR - JUCO transfer
CT Bradford - .230 - SO - 1L
Daryl Norris - .229 - SO - 1L
Brent Brownlee - .205 - SR - 2L

NONE of those guys are true freshmen, and only the 1 JUCO transfer is even in his first year in the program. That's the problem people aren't seeing. If we were struggling with a bunch of true freshmen it would be one thing. But we're struggling with players who should be mature enough to contribute, even if they didn't start last year.

Original48

Aug 9, 2007

And by creepy I mean Michael Jackson Neverland Ranch creepy.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012

Not starting SEC games = inexperienced

shoeless joe

Aug 27, 2009

according to your theory,former ok. statequarterback weeden should be better next year in the NFL than luck and griffin because he is older??

yes, i realize this is a baseball thread.

engie

May 29, 2011

patdog said:
Let's take a look at a few SEC batting averages:

Wes Rea - .169 - RS FR
Hunter Renfroe - .242 - SO - 1 Letter
Sam Frost - .226 - JR - 2L
Mitch Slaughter - .226 - JR - JUCO transfer
CT Bradford - .230 - SO - 1L
Daryl Norris - .229 - SO - 1L
Brent Brownlee - .205 - SR - 2L

NONE of those guys are true freshmen, and only the 1 JUCO transfer is even in his first year in the program. That's the problem people aren't seeing. If we were struggling with a bunch of true freshmen it would be one thing. But we're struggling with players who should be mature enough to contribute, even if they didn't start last year.

At the start of this season:
Wes Rea - ZERO sec starts
Hunter Renfroe - under 10 sec starts
Sam Frost - most experienced non injured player on the team, has never been an sec quality player. Maybe a season worth of starts in his sec career, let's say 25.
Slaughter - ZERO sec starts
Bradford - out for season with injury in nonconference. Only player we have that's played a full season as a starter.
Norris - about 10 SEC starts, was hitting close to .400 prior to injury on noncon, still playing hurt
Brownlee - experienced, but injured for entire career. Playing on bum knee that's killed his production and his innings.

Yeah, we're a deep, experienced hitting team Patdog**. Notice you don't mention Adam Frazier, a guy that is for all intents and purposes, one of three equally talented sophs(along with Bradford and Norris) that will be all-sec players at least once before their careers are done here if they can stay healthy. Frazier has, the other 2 havent so far.

Fire Cohenz!

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008

Because he'll probably talk to you about him for quite awhile. Or the equivalent of 60 pages typed.

patdog

May 28, 2007

If we're recruiting guys who aren't going to hit worth a **** until their 3rd season, we're sunk. With 11.7 scholarships we'll never have enough decent players to win consistently. I'm not saying these guys should be hitting .320, butgood God, by now they should at least be able to hit .260.

Original48

Aug 9, 2007

if he resents not having his name on the uniforms in place of Mississippi State.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login