It's going to be about basketball this year 🏀

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
In today's environment, it's all about chemistry and how soon a team can get it. Every SEC school has good and some great players. But most are 1 or 2 year transfers. How fast a team can jell their talent is the key. I think Jans is above average in doing that, so I think we should have a good team just about every year. Now, how often we have a great team is what I'm waiting to see.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I am hopeful that I can get to the OP's optimism come December.
From what I see, this team wouldn't beat last yesr's team.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Getting Kugel was really big and a surprise to me that he would leave UF. He should be the Day 1 starter at SG. Foumena and Nwoko are also nice pieces for our inside presence. Hopefully, some others will fill in to give us a complete team.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Where's the post scoring going to come from?
This isn’t 1980. Post scoring isn’t the same as it used to be. You just need guys that create off the dribble, find the open guy and move in space to get easy baskets down low for bigs. But having a true “post scorer” ala Tolu is what made our offense get bogged down so much at times. I’d much rather have a big that gets garbage buckets and/or can pop out and shoot

Now having post defense is crucial

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Where's the post scoring going to come from?

This isn’t 1980. Post scoring isn’t the same as it used to be. You just need guys that create off the dribble, find the open guy and move in space to get easy baskets down low for bigs. But having a true “post scorer” ala Tolu is what made our offense get bogged down so much at times. I’d much rather have a big that gets garbage buckets and/or can pop out and shoot

Now having post defense is crucial
Lol, oooook..........You and I both know thats bs but carryon and we dont have anyone that can "pop out and shoot"..........If our guards aren't scoring, were effed............

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Getting Kugel was really big and a surprise to me that he would leave UF. He should be the Day 1 starter at SG. Foumena and Nwoko are also nice pieces for our inside presence. Hopefully, some others will fill in to give us a complete team.
Have to study the roster more, but this should be a good team.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Baseball will be OK, probably make a regional somewhere. Soccer should be really good, maybe best in school history (which isn't saying a whole lot, but they really should be good).

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Built very differently. I think our backcourt will be clearly better. Front court, maybe you don’t have as much offense, but to be fair Tolu was really struggling down the stretch anyway. After the Kentucky game he really faltered.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
I'm stoked about this team. I think we have alot more scoring options this year from the perimeter. Don't know much about the bigs, but as I've said before, I expect Choi to be more than serviceable. The big question is replacing Jeffries D. People don't realize what a big loss he is. But I think we have more length and size on the perimeter to defend the 3 this year.

And I know I'm basing this only on his highlight video, but Clary looks like he can get inside the paint. Davis didn't have the ability to break down D's and draw a double with his penetration.

I'm ready.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We caught a big break with Kugel, he was headed to Kansas and then it fell through. We swooped in afterward.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
In today's environment, it's all about chemistry and how soon a team can get it. Every SEC school has good and some great players. But most are 1 or 2 year transfers. How fast a team can jell their talent is the key. I think Jans is above average in doing that, so I think we should have a good team just about every year. Now, how often we have a great team is what I'm waiting to see.
Dontae Jones assimilated quickly, but he was a world class scholar. Tell me how many hours they passed this summer and I’ll tell you if they are any good.***

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It’s a completely different looking team but there’s more scoring options with this one. They’ll be fine.
Definitely a different looking team. And definitely more scoring options.

When I said I dont think this team would beat last year's team, its because while there may be more perimeter offense this year, last year's perimeter defenders were really solid and would negate some of that improved offense, specifically- Jeffries, Matthews, Davis.
And last year's post offense is way better then what I see for this years's post defense. But this year's post defense doesnt look to be a ton better than last year's post defense...and that should be a pretty low bar to clear.

Again though, hope I am wrong.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
I’m way more fired up about basketball. Should be able to make some noise for sure.

Fired up about football because I want to see the stench of Arnetts offense and general bs get knocked off the program

Reactions: preacher_dawg

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Or perhaps you're just a blow hard so we'll just revisit this thread in 6 months but you will be here or run and hide like a chicken ****....
So you don’t think we’re a tourney team? Care to make a wager? And I’m not going anywhere.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Definitely a different looking team. And definitely more scoring options.

When I said I dont think this team would beat last year's team, its because while there may be more perimeter offense this year, last year's perimeter defenders were really solid and would negate some of that improved offense, specifically- Jeffries, Matthews, Davis.
And last year's post offense is way better then what I see for this years's post defense. But this year's post defense doesnt look to be a ton better than last year's post defense...and that should be a pretty low bar to clear.

Again though, hope I am wrong.
We were better defensively in 2023 than 2024. Still good last year but took a step back on that side (though we were better offensively due to Hubbard). Had several games where we gave up a bunch of points in SEC play, though.

Reactions: Nellum14

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I only see 3 wins***

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's going to be a really different team but if they gel early, they could have a good year.

Reactions: onewoof

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
I know we’ll play hard and I hope we peak in March. .500 in the SEC but that should result comfortably in an at-large bid.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login