It's official...the #1 recruiting spenders beat the #2 recruiting spenders

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
What are our recruiting finishes the last 5 years?

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
College football is so broken right now its a joke. Yes, last night was a great game between the two teams with the vast majority of elite talent, but the semifinals were awful and there has never been a bigger gap between the elite 'haves' and everyone else. Believe I heard it that AL and GA have more 5 stars on their rosters than the ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12 COMBINED! Never has so much elite football talent in college all been concentrated in so few programs. Unlimited recruiting budgets of a few programs and the fact that the recruiting internet resources leave no hidden gems out there anywhere has left the whole product of college football as the least competitive of any major sport in America. The no-brainer and most direct change to help things would obviously be to cut scholarships (at least to anyone with a brain) because while other men's sports are all starved for scholarships, football has a glut and way more than needed to field competitive teams. This just allows the top elite programs to sign up the vast majority of elite talent, bring them on campus to try them out, and then if they don't live up to their hype send them on their way out the door through the transfer portal. Just an awful system and makes it where elite programs don't have to live with any recruiting misevaluations. Expanded playoff MIGHT help a bit indirectly by showing a few prospects that they have more than 6 or 7 choices of school if they want any chance to ever participate in the playoff but its still going to be the same 6 or 7 schools making the Final 4 regardless until the root of the problem is addressed. What a mess.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
77 of the 85 players on Bama's roster were in the ESPN Top 300.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
We got 12 on our team. Signed 16, but 4 are gone. Shrader, Whop, Mayden, Jarrian Jones.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I believe you heard an idiot speak then. OSU has more five stars than Bama. If you just combine OSU and Clemson, they are 7 seven five stars behind UGA and Bama.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Not going to get any better unless some of these other money schools get better with NIL. It's still going to be big money and big recruiting. Only about 10 schools across the country have a legitimate shot but it still comes down to 4 schools in SEC maybe 5.
UGA
Bama
LSU

If things aligned
Florida
Auburn
But I doubt it with their current coaches.

TAMU they have the budget and recruiting but always fail for whatever reason

Texas same as TAMU they have a ton of talent and money. Just lack the discipline and really elite defensive talent.

OU don't have the talent and haven't recruited high enough in the right places specifically defense

NotreDame can't recruit to a high enough level to ever win it all

Clemson they can and have

Florida state non factor any more without Bowden

Miami Cristoball might help recruit and get them back to challenge Clemson.

Ohio State can and has depending on the Cosby. Day is good but he isn't Meyer.

Michigan best team they have had in year and they got obliterated by Georgia. Just don't recruit.

USC my Trojans. They don't give enough ***** about college football anymore to compete at the highest level. Even with Riley. They will probably move back up to top of the conference. But the conference as a whole sucks

Oregon enough money and recruiting to make the playoff ever so often with the right coach but just not enough talent.

With playoff most of these teams can make the playoff with their budget and recruiting but I don't think anyone can replace bama Georgia lsu in the budget recruiting coaching game to win it all on a regular basis.

No matter how many teams you add you will still end up with probably those schools above and then still end up with probably top 3-4 sec schools

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
College football is so broken right now its a joke. Yes, last night was a great game between the two teams with the vast majority of elite talent, but the semifinals were awful and there has never been a bigger gap between the elite 'haves' and everyone else. Believe I heard it that AL and GA have more 5 stars on their rosters than the ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12 COMBINED! Never has so much elite football talent in college all been concentrated in so few programs. Unlimited recruiting budgets of a few programs and the fact that the recruiting internet resources leave no hidden gems out there anywhere has left the whole product of college football as the least competitive of any major sport in America. The no-brainer and most direct change to help things would obviously be to cut scholarships (at least to anyone with a brain) because while other men's sports are all starved for scholarships, football has a glut and way more than needed to field competitive teams. This just allows the top elite programs to sign up the vast majority of elite talent, bring them on campus to try them out, and then if they don't live up to their hype send them on their way out the door through the transfer portal. Just an awful system and makes it where elite programs don't have to live with any recruiting misevaluations. Expanded playoff MIGHT help a bit indirectly by showing a few prospects that they have more than 6 or 7 choices of school if they want any chance to ever participate in the playoff but its still going to be the same 6 or 7 schools making the Final 4 regardless until the root of the problem is addressed. What a mess.
It wasn't even a good game. It was boring. I'm betting it will have low ratings. It's just not must-see TV at all except for Bama and Georgia fans (or Ohio State or Clemson).

I was against the lowering of scholarships for a while, but now I'm not. Less would be better, and allow more teams to be decent at the bottom of FBS too.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I believe you heard an idiot speak then. OSU has more five stars than Bama. If you just combine OSU and Clemson, they are 7 seven five stars behind UGA and Bama.

Whatever, OSU and Clemson are among those 6 or 7 programs I was talking about.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I didn't waste my time watching "the game"

It wasn't even a good game. It was boring. I'm betting it will have low ratings. It's just not must-see TV at all except for Bama and Georgia fans (or Ohio State or Clemson).

I was against the lowering of scholarships for a while, but now I'm not. Less would be better, and allow more teams to be decent at the bottom of FBS too.

SEC was going to win so why bother. Don't care about either team. I did enjoy a lot of the non championship games. There were some very close games and the teams were more evenly matched. Don't really care to see games between the elites.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Fail.

First, not sure if you realize that link is for the conference championship. If you do realize that, and you're trying to project that onto the game last night, you are going to have to compare to other national championship games, not previous conference championship games or earlier regular season games. National championship games should be the most watched game of the year, duh.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
You don't limit scholarships,

that would be worthless.

You limit the number of players that can be on the team.

But, what you said is going in the right direction. IMO

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

It was one of the better games I've seen in a while. Defense was actually played and the game turned on a big run.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
that would be worthless.

You limit the number of players that can be on the team.

But, what you said is going in the right direction. IMO

If its a scholarship for someone not playing football then essentially that's the same difference. I am all for giving out more scholarships for other sports or just give the ones lost for football to other needy students who do well academically that aren't even playing a sport. Obviously football is the money generator for a school's athletic budget but I can guarantee that football will still generate the same revenue whether there or 85 scholarshiped athletes on the team or 70 scholarshiped athletes on the team.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It was a very good game. Lot of good defense (sorely lacking in most of college football these days), and some good offense too. Back and forth. The outcome hinged on 2 very big plays, the Bama fumble recovery (very questionable officiating) and the pick 6 that sealed the win. No doubt the best two teams were playing. That said, I'd be on board with cutting scholarships back from 85 to 65 to keep the top programs from stockpiling so much 4* talent to complement their 5* players. But I realize that will never happen.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's always been like this since day 1. Best players almost always win. You have to pay them.

Some do for a few (us and most everyone else).

Some do for every position in their two deep as well as next year's two deep (Bama and Georgia)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login