It's Time

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
To claim the 1941 Natty. Will be cringy for the first year, then accepted. I'd drop it right before the season with a banner in the stadium. We'll get a little scorn, then all will move on. We have more claim to it than Bama. This should have been done 30/40/50 years ago, but now is as good a time as any.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...9224/alabama-1941-national-championship-claim

But then there’s 1941, perhaps the most hilarious championship claim in all of sports.​

In a season with four undefeated teams before bowl games (when the final AP Poll came out at the time) and three afterward, the Tide got shut out by both Mississippi State and Vanderbilt.

They finished third in the SEC and ranked No. 20 in the final AP Poll. The bowl win over Texas A&M was pretty nice, but wouldn’t have moved Bama into the final top 10 or anything.

No one thought about this team again until around 1983, when the athletic department’s information director went back and claimed a bunch of old titles, basing 1941’s off an old formula by statistician Deke Houlgate, who’d died in 1959.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
My question is, who cares? Claiming that would have mattered back from about 1942-1967. Being considered a national title caliber program gets you name cache for about 25 years max. Tennessee actually WON the dang thing in 1998 but do you consider them a national program now? Nebraska? Michigan? It's over for them, except in their own minds. Miami is on the clock too. Now they'll all have to build back the hard way just like Clemson did.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
My question is, who cares? Claiming that would have mattered back from about 1942-1967. Being considered a national title caliber program gets you name cache for about 25 years max. Tennessee actually WON the dang thing in 1998 but do you consider them a national program now? Nebraska? Michigan? It's over for them, except in their own minds. Miami is on the clock too. Now they'll all have to build back the hard way just like Clemson did.
Michigan has been in the CFP Semis for the past 2 seasons and both the Wall Street Journal and Forbes (as well as a number of others) ranked Tennessee as the 10th-12th most valuable college football brand (and chalked up wins against LSU, Alabama, and Clemson last year).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Michigan has been in the CFP Semis for the past 2 seasons and both the Wall Street Journal and Forbes (as well as a number of others) ranked Tennessee as the 10th-12th most valuable college football brand (and chalked up wins against LSU, Alabama, and Clemson last year).
Stop.

Michigan got demolished by Georgia in 2021 and lost to friggin TCU (who got demolished by Georgia) last year. It was obvious they didn't belong and you know it. They are not considered a team that is capable of winning a national title. Tennessee had one good year and went 10-2. This is really not something worth arguing.

Cincinnati made the playoff, Michigan State made the playoff, Notre Dame made the playoff. None are national title caliber programs. Does it help reputation, sure. Texas A&M SHOULD have in 2020, and I know they are a high dollar brand, but do you consider them a national program? That tells you all you need to know about brands. It's a sliding scale. And if you don't get it done, or at least make a trip to the championship game a few times and be competitive (Oregon), it's hard to put you in there.

Reactions: maroonmadman

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I care and likely many other fans would like to have a football natty. We may win more nattys in baseball and may win one in men's and women's basketball, but we will likely never win one in football.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
We have a much stronger case for 1940, when we went 10-0-1 and finished #9, than 1941, when we wen 8-1-1 and finished #16.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I care and likely many other fans would like to have a football natty. We may win more nattys in baseball and may win one in men's and women's basketball, but we will likely never win one in football.
Doesn't change much in my mind. We are in the exact same spot. Ole Miss posting their cute little sign in their stadium made no difference for them, because they went well beyond that 20-25 year window.

Win games, that's about all we can do nowadays. Have big crowds at games, maybe not eat our own constantly?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Doesn't change much in my mind. We are in the exact same spot. Ole Miss posting their cute little sign in their stadium made no difference for them, because they went well beyond that 20-25 year window.

Win games, that's about all we can do nowadays. Have big crowds at games, maybe not eat our own constantly?
UCF and Ole Miss claim them so why don't we?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I’m happy for anyone who remembers those games*, but I don’t think we should claim the 1941 national title in 2023.

*-You should probably get your affairs in order.

ETA: Ole Miss claiming three national titles before the integration of college football without ever finishing #1 in the AP or coaches’ poll is weak. We shouldn’t do the same.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Claim them both
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Any team is the defending National Champion for 1 season, but, that team actually moves on and disperses literally days after that championship and no longer exists. Talking about our championship was fun for awhile, but, there's been 2 others since then and our program embarrassed the hell out of us those 2 seasons and no longer looks like a national caliber program. They are on the clock.
Just now claiming a football Championship from 8 decades ago when a vast majority of the fan base wasn't even alive is a long stretch and seems pointless

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Like eating our own for liking a logo you think is dead?

Jan 13, 2008
If men can claim that they’re women, and women can claim that they’re men, we can claim the 1941 National Championship. If people b itch, claim that our feelings are hurt and they will stop because they don’t want to be accused of shaming someone.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Any team is the defending National Champion for 1 season, but, that team actually moves on and disperses literally days after that championship and no longer exists. Talking about our championship was fun for awhile, but, there's been 2 others since then and our program embarrassed the hell out of us those 2 seasons and no longer looks like a national caliber program. They are on the clock.
Just now claiming a football Championship from 8 decades ago when a vast majority of the fan base wasn't even alive is a long stretch and seems pointless
I think the point is that every national championship claim was pointless as balls until the BCS era. “Bob’s Barbecue” could sponsor a title and the NCAA would say “why not”. It was a godawful system…

We had completely legit claims to both season.

We have a legit claim to the 1940 season,
no doubt. Undefeated and played 3 more games than Minnesota.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranchdawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
There's only five team nationally that can claim a SEC West Championship and we are one of them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login