I've been getting this aching guttural feeling that dan mullen

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
No way to polish that turd. He would not be able to rally the fanbase, etc. Short of near perfection a lot of folks would never come around and honestly, you can see from what he did at FL that he has one schtick and that is it. I don't need to see his demonstration of Cutco knives again, thanks!

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Don't see why anybody in our house would want to hire him back. He sure doesn't need the money and has already demonstrated a lack of loyalty to MSU. It would just be giving him something to do until he found a better deal.
It's not about loyalty per se. The biggest hurdles to me are that I think he has somewhat lost his fire as far as putting up with the ******** that goes along with coaching. There may be a time where he decides he is fired up about coaching again, but I doubt it's now.

The second biggest hurdle is that the transfer rules are no longer conducive to Mullen's coaching style. Coaches can still push hard, but it's going to be like the NFL. You have to push them hard while mostly treating them like professionals and not disrespecting them. Otherwise they'll just leave. I'm not sure if Mullen can adjust to that reality or not. He's going to see that as more ******** akin to recruiting if I were going to guess.

That said, it's also a hurdle that Mullen was unable to remain focused when the thought of other jobs came along. That's a hurdle because you'd need to think he has grown past that and also because it's going to negatively impact fan buy-in. But at the end of the day, this is still business and this last hurdle could be overcome if Dan could convince people he would appreciate the job more this time. I just don't think we'll get to that point because the first two make him an unattractive candidate right now.

Reactions: msstatelp1

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I was one of Dan's biggest supporters when he was here. He was excellent for us.

But I don't think I'd want him back. We had "hungry to prove to the world I belong" Mullen from 2009-2015. We had lethargic Mullen in 2016. We got "getting the 17 out of dodge Mullen" in 2017.

And in 2023, we'd have "retirement gig" Mullen. I don't want him back.

And for once, I'd love to see us try continuity. Our roster is set up for the Air Raid. Why not look at the Leach tree and try to find some continuity?

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
is lurking out there trying to communicate wtih bracky.
Assume an Athletic Director gets a copy of Mullen's resume with the his name and the schools that he has coached blacked out. All the AD has is the guy's year to year coaching record and an understanding that the coach is interested. The AD would derelict in his duty to not at a minimum talk to them...

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Yep we don’t want to be any coach’s 5 year retirement plan. We need a coach who’s hungry for on field access and best days are ahead of him and not behind him

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Assume an Athletic Director gets a copy of Mullen's resume with the his name and the schools that he has coached blacked out. All the AD has is the guy's year to year coaching record and an understanding that the coach is interested. The AD would derelict in his duty to not at a minimum talk to them...
In this instance, however, he spent his entire tenure doing everything he could to get out of our job and into another.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not really. You are correct he'd have a strong resume on paper. But then when you look into the details, you see all the reasons he's not a good candidate right now. Certainly doesn't hurt to talk to him, but it wouldn't be derelict to pass on him without talking to him. If you talk to him and he claims he's fired up about coaching and ready to jump back in and will really appreciate Starkville this time, are you really convinced after watching the way he acted at the end of his Florida gig? I'd be much more convinced by the way he acted 12 months ago than what he is saying now.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would think we would probably talk to him because he's a former SEC coach with a winning record. Can't over look that. Same with Gus. I think it's crazy not to talk to them. But that being said we've been building to air raid with personnel. Best fit may not be them but with the portal that doesn't take long to change that. You also got some other guys out there like Aranda that are proven coaches that would come to SEC given the right contract. I think it's best to start talking now and talk to AD candidates also to see what they say. An AD doesn't want to get stuck with someone else's guy hired at the same time he comes on.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I think that’s just gas you’re feeling. Dan isn’t coming back here unless we completely 17 things up in the process.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
Mullen brought us out of the basement of not just the SEC but the Power 5 and for that I will always be grateful.

Dan Mullen's ceiling at MSU would have been touched in 2018 and he walked out on it. We are closer to a ten win season if we keep our program going and get the right OC than we would be if Mullen came in. We would have to start over on offense.

Also Dan Mullen is an *******. That's fine but are our veterans who we have been developing going to want to deal with him?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I was a proponent of "Bring Dan back". A) I don't think it will happen. There was never really much more than a very small number of folks saying this tbh. B) It was predicated on the wells falling off and us finishing 6-6 or whatever and it being obvious CML should go, necessitating a new direction. All that was pretty moot by the end of the season.

To me it makes a lot of sense to bring in a Air Raid OC (if Arnett or some other definitive-minded HCis the plan) or HC.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login