I've heard rumblings of switching baseball and football seasons........

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
.....at the high school level in Mississippi (and maybe other places). Baseball to fall, and football to spring. Basically due to heat. They are apparently about to experiment with some peewee youth teams. I hope this isn't true, can't imagine a worse idea.

Let's just throw out all tradition because a couple of generations of wussies have grown up in the air conditioning.

I mean, just go outside, acclimate. Of course then I hear all our fans complaining about going to games in the heat, and it's probably a losing battle I'm fighting.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Won't stick. Too many logistic changes. Sounds like the guys that say Disney should just relocate to a more liberal state. Too much to consider. Starting from scratch and the whole sport moving to that time of year. But logistical and material support for that for just a few states trying to do that makes no sense.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Much better idea is start HS season the Friday after Labor Day and cut one weekend from the playoffs.
Or don't and just make them go a week deeper into the winter. I am all for pushing it back a week and have games start after the sun sets.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yep. Too many playoff teams as it is.

Just go back to champion & runners-ups from each district/region/classification (I'm looking at you MSAIS 6A)
Not just MAIS. MHSAA will have 4 (out of either 5 or 6 depending on classification) teams make playoffs. A couple of years ago, I was working at a clients office in a small town. They had a playoff game that night. Their team was 1-9 and the home team was 3-7.

Edit: This fall, 2 out of Pearl River Central, Terry, Forest Hill and Jim Hill will make the playoffs in 6A.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
.....at the high school level in Mississippi (and maybe other places). Baseball to fall, and football to spring. Basically due to heat. They are apparently about to experiment with some peewee youth teams. I hope this isn't true, can't imagine a worse idea.

Let's just throw out all tradition because a couple of generations of wussies have grown up in the air conditioning.

I mean, just go outside, acclimate. Of course then I hear all our fans complaining about going to games in the heat, and it's probably a losing battle I'm fighting.
Do any other states do this? It is hard for me to believe Mississippi would come up with an idea like this on its own.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Not just MAIS. MHSAA will have 4 (out of either 5 or 6 depending on classification) teams make playoffs. A couple of years ago, I was working at a clients office in a small town. They had a playoff game that night. Their team was 1-9 and the home team was 3-7.
True.

I just find MAIS 6A amusing because every team makes the playoffs. At least there are a couple in each MAIS class that don't.

And can we get rid of wild cards please? I can't remember a true MAIS wild card winning a state championship other than that 2018 Adams Christian team that was forced to forfeit their first eight games of the season and then won the title with a 6-8 record.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

There may be some snowflakes talking about it somewhere but it will never happen. There are way too many moving parts.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

When are they going to be able to do the two a days? Between Christmas and New Year? Oh, wait a minute, these wusses don't do two a days.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Won't stick. Too many logistic changes. Sounds like the guys that say Disney should just relocate to a more liberal state. Too much to consider. Starting from scratch and the whole sport moving to that time of year. But logistical and material support for that for just a few states trying to do that makes no sense.
I don't think it would make it to high school, and don't expect it anywhere, but I can see it working for Jr. High and below. You already have youth soccer and baseball pretty much year round now. Doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal except for inertia (which granted is usually a big deal).

But the reason I could see it having a chance is that having Jr. High and High school sports in different seasons would potentially allow you to economize on coaching staff. Not sure how it's handled now, but it was pretty common for the "minor" sports to be staffed with coaches that just needed to justify their job in the off season. So basically every football coach except for the head coach would be an assistant coach for either baseball, soccer, track, etc. Or head coach if the school didn't care about the sport.

Seems like it might make more sense to have your football staff coach high school in the fall and jr. high in the spring. Let the baseball coach handle Jr. high in the fall and high school in the spring. I'm sure coaches would not like the loss of off season and may be some hassle where jr. highs and high schools are not close to each other. And I guess you'd lose some benefit when you have multiple Jr. Highs feed into one high school. But doesn't seem like a crazy idea.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

In the Deep South, I thought it should have always been that way. Never understood why the hottest time of the year, you are wearing a helmet and pads. It’d be more fun to switch the football and basketball seasons though. If you played your first football game in November and the season ended in February, that would be outstanding. As a player. It’d be horrible for fans.

Reactions: beachbumdawg

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I think Mississippi should go to school all year long. Give them 2 weeks off in the summer and two weeks for Christmas.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Climate change! But summer and fall temperatures have gone up only marginally over the years.

Why not just delay the start of football season, back to a starting date of what it was years ago?

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006

Edit: This fall, 2 out of Pearl River Central, Terry, Forest Hill and Jim Hill will make the playoffs in 6A.
We know it won’t be PRC

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

I know that there is at least one MHSAA division where for the next two years EVERY team will make the playoffs. All the teams in the division are already in whether they win a game or not.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Back in my day it was full contact in the morning, then go to the hayfield, then back for more full contact in the afternoon
Am I the only person who preferred the afternoon practice of two-a-days over the morning practice? 1. The heat never bothered me. 2. Getting slippery and slimy with sweat never bothered me. 3. I didn't like getting up early in the summer. 4. I absolutely couldn't stand getting wet with dew. I would itch all through practice.

It wasn't the hayfield for me. It was a watermelon field. Oh the days of the bossman throwing everybody a can of spam, a plastic spoon and a hot bottle of water for lunch. LOL

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I think Mississippi should go to school all year long. Give them 2 weeks off in the summer and two weeks for Christmas.
Clinton is already doing that this year…. Madison will start next year. They get way more time off than just 2 weeks, though. Periodic breaks throughout the year.

I can’t imagine being a kid and not having summer off, though.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Clinton is already doing that this year…. Madison will start next year. They get way more time off than just 2 weeks, though. Periodic breaks throughout the year.

I can’t imagine being a kid and not having summer off, though.
Here's a WLBT article about it and includes the calendar info...

Reactions: eckie1

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
July 24! Wow! I’d rather end in early June and start in mid August.
Yeah but that time off the last week in September means some families might have some getaways when it’s potentially less expensive.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login