Izzo and Spartans

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
9-0 against SEC in the tourney

They had lost 5 of their last 7 games.

Shot 50% from the field.

One might say their coach had them mentally ready for today.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

DawgieDust

Nov 6, 2017
I tell you what this MSU team is what the basketball doctor will order every time. We couldn't have played any worse for 40 minutes that what we played.

Reactions: onewoof

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Where do they get most of their players? I wonder if there is something to the whole 'we develop basketball better up north' thing.

SEC really is pitiful in basketball outside Kentucky.

Reactions: patdog

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
Where do they get most of their players? I wonder if there is something to the whole 'we develop basketball better up north' thing.

SEC in general with regards to basketball has been vastly overrated in the past save a few years of Florida. SEC Coaching just lacks general college basketball development. If we don't out(recruit) PAY for the top players, well you see this year.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
SEC in general with regards to basketball has been vastly overrated in the past save a few years of Florida. SEC Coaching just lacks general college basketball development. If we don't out(recruit) PAY for the top players, well you see this year.
Why is this, though? This sort of thing is fascinating to me.

I'm talking very general here, but football is easy to understand. It's all about where the players are. Some have better development (like FL and TX) but generally it's peewee through high school, across the board. Why doesn't basketball follow the same pattern, or does it? Is it due to having to be indoors up north? I've seen people say this but I don't know that I buy it, because you can be indoors anywhere in the winter. Same as football, you can play it anywhere anytime. Baseball is the only sport in my mind that's truly weather dependent, so obviously development is going to be better in states with better weather. But is development really where it's at? Or is it just players overall? And why would coaching be so behind due to geography?

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
Why is this, though? This sort of thing is fascinating to me.

I'm talking very general here, but football is easy to understand. It's all about where the players are. Some have better development (like FL and TX) but generally it's peewee through high school, across the board. Why doesn't basketball follow the same pattern, or does it? Is it due to having to be indoors up north? I've seen people say this but I don't know that I buy it, because you can be indoors anywhere in the winter. Same as football, you can play it anywhere anytime. Baseball is the only sport in my mind that's truly weather dependent, so obviously development is going to be better in states with better weather. But is development really where it's at? Or is it just players overall? And why would coaching be so behind due to geography?
There is a reason a majority of the "good" SEC basketball players don't make the NBA. The first thing is fundamentals in grade school. Basketball in Mississippi doesn't put the same emphasis on middle / high school coaching as say southern football. In basketball, the highly skilled players aren't taught the game. They are asked to score and aren't taught much defensive skill and aren't asked to "think " the game. Basketball IQ in the south lacks, whether that be the coaching or the players not learning the game.

Go watch an AAU tournament. You will see individuality at its finest.

Reactions: onewoof and patdog

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020

There is something to it. it’s a winter sport and it’s much better at the HS level up north. Just like baseball at the HS level is better in the south.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login