Jackson area pool contractor

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I felt like this had been discussed in the past but I couldn’t find a thread in the search function.

Any recommendations from you guys that have pools? Everyone seems to suggest CPS pools.

And for the anti pool crowd. I understand all about them. I’ve lived in a house with a pool 27 of my 37 years. I know all about the potential for pain in the *** and costs. The good outweighs the bad in my opinion.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I didn't think Jackson had enough running water for people, let alone pools.**

Well, he damn sure won't have to worry about getting a water bill when he fills it up, and if he does he doesn't have to worry about paying it because they won't enforce it because there aren't enough cops to catch murderers, car jackers and thieves, much less water thieves

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Can’t help you with a contractor but I highly suggest a fiberglass pool. Less chemicals, less maintenance, and less cost in the long run.

Reactions: LordMcBuckethead

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I felt like this had been discussed in the past but I couldn’t find a thread in the search function.

Any recommendations from you guys that have pools? Everyone seems to suggest CPS pools.

And for the anti pool crowd. I understand all about them. I’ve lived in a house with a pool 27 of my 37 years. I know all about the potential for pain in the *** and costs. The good outweighs the bad in my opinion.
And you know you are still going to get all of the free advice you can handle why you shouldn't. Seems you can't even try to stop drinking and not get some grief about it.***

Highly recommend CPS. They actually came up to Starkville 6 years ago to put mine in and if I dare say/write this out loud ..... have never had a problem with it. First rate job on the plaster/coping/tile and overall construction. Have never had a need to contact them since they installed it.

Like any info/experience 6 years old, not sure who or what has changed at CPS since and experiences I'm sure vary. Tommy Draughn still around and running things?

Reactions: ronpolk

AnchorState

Jan 21, 2020

P & P Pools out of Brandon is great. They do a lot of high-end pool projects around Jackson. Also MSU alums.

Reactions: rezdawg and ronpolk

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

I’ll be interested to hear some ballpark numbers that you get quoted. I live in central Arkansas, and I was looking into one about a year ago until I found out that what used to be $40-50k is now $100k, and what used to be $100k now costs as much as a starter home.

Reactions: sfnsfn

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I’ll be interested to hear some ballpark numbers that you get quoted. I live in central Arkansas, and I was looking into one about a year ago until I found out that what used to be $40-50k is now $100k, and what used to be $100k now costs as much as a starter home.
How much is a starter home? Asking for a friend

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’ll let you know. I have a feeling it’s going to be more than what I really want to pay, and definitely could have gotten it done for cheaper pre Covid

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Consider Graham pools. Fiberglass. Friend is a few years into his and loves it. Non-porous, so it doesn't leach out chemicals, texture is easy on feet and swimsuits but grippy enough, slick walls make it hard for stuff to grow/stick, it won't crack and you won't have to redo the finish in 15 - 20 years like you do with concrete. It takes a while to get through the waiting list, but he was done from start to finish in 1 month once they got started.

DecadeReb2

Jul 2, 2021

CPS is a good choice. The problem is finding someone to do monthly service. I’m on a wait list for CPS but I don’t think they will ever call. Some of the services are shady, I have found.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

One other thing. There is literally one company in the area that shoots the gunite, unless something has changed very recently. So whoever you go with needs to be really good at all the other stuff. When looking, check court records, BBB and online rating. I was talking to a friend of mine at an equipment rental business who warned me about one of the local guys who had outstanding debt to multiple equipment rentals and had complaints against him from customers about not doing what he was supposed to. Other than his suppliers and his customers not liking him, he was OK.***

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
No sh*t. Now we realize the REAL reason inflation and stuff is out of control, folks are running around here thinking 200K is a starter home price.

Not to mention the phrase "starter home" is such spoiled a$$ white people jargon. Right up there with "I know right?".
Go on the MLS and see what 200k and under gets you in the metro area. Hint: not much. Either 1000 sq ft or in the ghetto.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
No sh*t. Now we realize the REAL reason inflation and stuff is out of control, folks are running around here thinking 200K is a starter home price.

Not to mention the phrase "starter home" is such spoiled a$$ white people jargon. Right up there with "I know right?".
I haven't learned to be offended by this yet. "First home"? "a house"? some of the smartest people I know stayed their whole life in their "starter home" and just banked cash and equity. It's still where they started...and finished...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I haven't learned to be offended by this yet. "First home"? "a house"? some of the smartest people I know stayed their whole life in their "starter home" and just banked cash and equity. It's still where they started...and finished...
I'll say this, a bigger house isn't the worst thing in the world to spend money on, at least it's PROBABLY going up in value, even if it leaves you cash poor. But I'd personally rather use that extra mortgage payment amount (or the whole paid off mortgage payment amount) to accumulate other real estate that I do not live in, that again, probably goes up in value AND pays you rent. So that's not really my issue.

I just don't like the snotty attitude that goes along with saying things like "starter house", as if a certain level of luxury and location is expected.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'll say this, a bigger house isn't the worst thing in the world to spend money on, at least it's PROBABLY going up in value. I'd rather use that extra mortgage payment amount to accumulate other real estate that I do not live in, that goes up in value AND pays you rent. So that's not really my issue.

I just don't like the snotty attitude that goes along with saying things like "starter house", as if a certain level of luxury and location is expected.
ahhhh, never thought about the implication that you should be focusing on getting something better at some point, just thought of it as a first, affordable, house...those don't currently exist right now...

Reactions: WrightGuy821

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
ahhhh, never thought about the implication that you should be focusing on getting something better at some point, just thought of it as a first, affordable, house...those don't currently exist right now...
yep. The 3/2 split plan boom of the early 2000s flooded the metro with affordable houses under $150k and a lot of young couples were able to buy their first homes. Those days are gone.

With 200k and 7% interest you may find a handful of options in the 39047 and won't get you anything in the 39110.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
yep. The 3/2 split plan boom of the early 2000s flooded the metro with affordable houses under $150k and a lot of young couples were able to buy their first homes. Those days are gone.

With 200k and 7% interest you may find a handful of options in the 39047 and won't get you anything in the 39110.
Nothing in 39407, and only a very few decent choices in that range even within 20 miles

• Sad
Reactions: horshack.sixpack

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Yeah I just graduated and don't wanna be stuck paying rent for the next year or so, but there's nothing "affordable" on the market at least in Starkville. I may just need to pack up and move out of here

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012

In MS "starter home" is code for a single wide. You can't afford to buy a double wide until you're making good money

ScottishDawg

Mar 11, 2021
Check out Outdoor Living Facebook page. They are located in Hattiesburg, but I believe he will travel. They did a gunite pool for me last year. I believe they sell fiberglass pools too if that's something you are interested in.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah I just graduated and don't wanna be stuck paying rent for the next year or so, but there's nothing "affordable" on the market at least in Starkville. I may just need to pack up and move out of here
It ain't gonna get any better than the Sip, pal. That's why things have to crash. OR.....developers will start gentrifying new areas but you'll have to deal with a criminal element, at least for a little while.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
It ain't gonna get any better than the Sip, pal. That's why things have to crash. OR.....developers will start gentrifying new areas but you'll have to deal with a criminal element, at least for a little while.
No, not leave Mississippi just Starkville. Houses worth $200k are selling for $300k+ here

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I'll say this, a bigger house isn't the worst thing in the world to spend money on, at least it's PROBABLY going up in value, even if it leaves you cash poor. But I'd personally rather use that extra mortgage payment amount (or the whole paid off mortgage payment amount) to accumulate other real estate that I do not live in, that again, probably goes up in value AND pays you rent. So that's not really my issue.

I don’t always know what world you live in Goat, but at least in mine, the term’s pretty common and not associated with rich, snotty white people that can’t wait to transition out of a 3500 sq ft home into a mansion. It’s for people(typically unmarried and with no kids) that buy a small, yet affordable place shortly after college, and then move into a place with more sq footage, BRs, and baths at a later date.

That said, it’s not lost on me that times have changed some in the current markets

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t always know what world you live in Goat, but at least in mine, the term’s pretty common and not associated with rich, snotty white people that can’t wait to transition out of a 3500 sq ft home into a mansion. It’s for people(typically unmarried and with no kids) that buy a small, yet affordable place shortly after college, and then move into a place with more sq footage, BRs, and baths at a later date.

That said, it’s not lost on me that times have changed some in the current markets
I am just an angry m17er who gets mad about trivial sh*t

but middle class stereotypes are a particular trigger

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Wow, what a hijack.

The subject is POOLS.

hijack aubrey plaza GIF by LoveIndieFilms

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Wow, what a hijack.

The subject is POOLS.

hijack aubrey plaza GIF by LoveIndieFilms
Goat has clearly continued to make his wife live in a starter home and he gets nagged about moving “up” all the time. It’s the only justification I can come up with for such a reaction to the phrase “starter home”.*****

Just kidding Goat

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

Here in Texas, I bought a home in 2020, and already have $70,000 in equity in it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I was GC on my own pool build 5 years ago in TX. I could get into all the details, but I saved 50%. Lots of markup on pools.

Advice points.

-Figure out insurance first. Insurance companies hate diving boards these days.
-I put the fence between my backdoor and pool and slept well at night with little kids. Had a neighbor lose a baby the year before because everyone disables the door alarm if you go that route.
-Nobody complains about having too much pool deck. Leave room for a future covered area of you don't include it in the initial build.
-Pool safety cover was awesome. Put it on in October and took it off in early April. Shocked once a month in the winter and opened it up and ran the Polaris one day and it was perfect. No leaves whatsoever. I preferred the safety cover because the kids could use the back yard and it held up much better than cheap leaf covers. And it really keeps the leaves/debris out. $1500 for a custom made 45*25 with tanning ledge and step cutouts. Highly recommend.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
You can fight the market all you want and insist it's wrong - but as we sit here today, houses selling for 300k are worth 300k.
That's fair, I just hate that a house worth $200k in say Tupelo is worth $300k in Starkville. Not much I can do about it, but it's not affordable for young people to own in Starkville. I don't want to rent so I'll just move to another part of the State lol.

Reactions: dorndawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That's fair, I just hate that a house worth $200k in say Tupelo is worth $300k in Starkville. Not much I can do about it, but it's not affordable for young people to own in Starkville. I don't want to rent so I'll just move to another part of the State lol.
The way that I've come to view my house is with no emotion. It is an illiquid investment that makes up a solid percentage of my investment portfolio. I keep a certain amount of equity in it, but I also keep HELOC so that I have access to that equity. It is an investment that the market does not price. The only way to know the value of it is to put it on the market and see. I have a friend selling right now who started out at $879K. The market did not agree. He is now at $699k. Time will tell...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think all this pandemic shifting craziness is going to normalize. The increase we've seen lately is just not sustainable and some of these markets are going to bust some. For Starkville in particular, it may be the enrollment cliff.

I don't know when, I don't know how. I just know that sh*t happens. I'm old enough to have seen that sh*t up close a few times. All these people are only going for 'desirable' areas. There's a lot of other areas out there, where prices aren't high, and people will figure this out. And people also think that telework has gone away - it hasn't. The pendulum has just swung back to office work because, well, baby boomer reasons n stuff. That's eventually going to shift back to 'normal' as well, which will affect buying trends.

The baby boomer exit out of the market is going to affect things too.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

I think all this pandemic shifting craziness is going to normalize. The increase we've seen lately is just not sustainable and some of these markets are going to bust some. For Starkville in particular, it may be the enrollment cliff.

I don't know when, I don't know how. I just know that sh*t happens. I'm old enough to have seen that sh*t up close a few times. All these people are only going for 'desirable' areas. There's a lot of other areas out there, where prices aren't high, and people will figure this out. And people also think that telework has gone away - it hasn't. The pendulum has just swung back to office work because, well, baby boomer reasons n stuff. That's eventually going to shift back to 'normal' as well.

It's cyclical. Now is a really bad time in the cycle to buy a home. 2 years ago was a generational buying opportunity with sub 3% mortgage rates and 12 years ago was generational with the bottom of the crash and 4% rates. It will happen again.

As a first time homebuyer, your job is to be ready. I lost $2500 of earnest money when I was in my late 20's trying to buy my first house. It was 2007 and the lumber company I was working for was going out of business. I focused on my career, went to b-school, got married, and paid off all my debt over the next 5 years. Bought first home in 2012 and made a mint when I sold it I'm 2018.

We all go through it. Just make sure your ready for the next cycle.

ETA: This same scenario happened in the late 80's and late 70's as I am sure people older than me can attest to...

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login