Jackson, it’s time to rise up……

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What’s the big deal of being close to churches and schools? Totally ridiculous.

Maybe the same general reason why sex offenders can't live too close to achools?...a general concern that proximity will increase the odds of hurting kids.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Horn Lake has opted out and Southaven is prepared to do the same. They’re waiting to see if the law is amended with more clarity on zoning.

BulldogBillyCrash

Oct 31, 2019
Maybe the same general reason why sex offenders can't live too close to achools?...a general concern that proximity will increase the odds of hurting kids.

How? I’ll admit I’ve had a few beers and driven when I probably shouldn’t have but when I’ve hit the cheeba only think I’m about to do is put on my Richard Pryor DVD my dad gave me and pay doordash 100 bucks for a Big Mac and a large fry.

I hope that when the revenue starts flowing none of these places that opted out sees a dime

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
How? I’ll admit I’ve had a few beers and driven when I probably shouldn’t have but when I’ve hit the cheeba only think I’m about to do is put on my Richard Pryor DVD my dad gave me and pay doordash 100 bucks for a Big Mac and a large fry.

I hope that when the revenue starts flowing none of these places that opted out sees a dime

Ok, so now I am going to further defend something that I dont necessarily believe in, but I am doing it because I know the line of thinking that takes place. I say that as a disclaimer since often times when I post something like this, a bunch of morons descend and accuse me of believing something dumb. So please keep that in mind.

There could be a concern that being too close to a school will cause a certain % of kids to normalize marijuana use at a younger age than what should handle that responsibility. Proximity typically means easier access too, and immediately after school is often times an unsupervised time of day for kids. So combine that all together and you can come up with a concern that having dispensaries too close to school could result in an increase in kids using, which by any reasonable person's standards is the same as those kids being hurt.
It is obviously a different type of hurt than sexual predators hurting kids, but the concern is the same- keep predatory and dangerous things away from schools to reduce the chances of kids being negatively impacted.

I will now comment on my personal view which is that ideally, schools get to be in places that dont have an overall negative influence on kids. I dont think stripjoints, bars, adult stores, outpatient rehab facilities, etc should be next to schools simply because in an ideal world we would shelter kids from that stuff for as long as possible. No city plan needs to place that stuff next to schools, so why do it?

Back on topic...
Now whether or not the concern is valid and backed up with measurable results?...I have no idea. But laws are often based on fear and emotional over-reactions instead of calm and rational decision making(especially a lot of national headline state and local laws that have been passed in the last 2 years).

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I don't get the zoning issue. Cities can make their own zoning laws. They do it all the time.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’m not sure either.

Nearly all the Horn Lake aldermen said they are for medical marijuana but they have issues with the law. It was never really clearly stated in the minutes what those issues are but something about zoning clarifications.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
https://www.usnews.com/news/healthi...drops-in-states-where-it-is-legal?context=amp

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48921265.amp

Many more articles posted. Losing out on tax revenue to appease the irrationally fearing pearl clutchers is pretty dumb. FFS the defense against liquor sales in Starkville on Sunday was because it would increase gang rape.

A very high majority voted for it. I hope everyone that was involved in holding it up, changing it, and banning it from their city loses their next reelection bid. They obviously don’t represent the majority of their voters.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
They are just trying to keep the rise in Glaucoma cases from happening. ********

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
https://www.usnews.com/news/healthi...drops-in-states-where-it-is-legal?context=amp

Many more articles posted. Losing out on tax revenue to appease the irrationally fearing pearl clutchers is pretty dumb. FFS the defense against liquor sales in Starkville on Sunday was because it would increase gang rape.

A very high majority voted for it. I hope everyone that was involved in holding it up, changing it, and banning it from their city loses their next reelection bid. They obviously don’t represent the majority of their voters.

Again, I am not saying I agree with the reasoning I stated. I just stated reasoning that I have both read and heard when it comes to motivation for keeping drugs and alcohol away from schools.

I drove thru Madison a few weeks ago on a road trip and stopped at Liberty Park for a couple hours- it was a really nice park. I dont pretend to know for sure why the vote was unanimous, but what I did gather from driving around the town for 10min before and after the park visit was that they work hard to keep up an image. It looks like dispensaries are not part of that image.
I do think there has to be commercial space that isnt next to schools and would be appropriate for a dispensary. There are vape shops in Madison, so its not all perfect. The board should be OK with this existing in stripmall with a vape shop that isnt next to a school, or in designated zones around an area that is more industrial(serious question, does that exist?).

A city having concern about the impact such businesses will have on law enforcement is not something that should just be ignored by opposition. Instead, show statistics that prove it is not a negative impact on city resources(law enforcement being one).
The article cites a pretty low bar for being able to take this to a special vote. If the majority of Madison residents actually want this, it should be easy for them to get.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
This may be a great opportunity for smaller towns to capitalize and become destinations for folks. Kind of like big cities for small town folk with no liquor stores except in the opposite direction. It could become a boom for those towns that are dying off or struggling.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

This is the frustrating part to me. The people overwhelmingly voted, via ballot initiative, to allow this. The people were saying for years we wanted it and our representatives wouldn’t approve it. So, the people took it into their own hands. And now our representatives are creating loopholes to limit access to it. Very frustrating to have bureaucrats continue to tell their constituents what’s best for them.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We found that neighborhoods with one or more medical or recreational dispensary saw increased crime rates that were between 26 and 1,452 percent higher than in neighborhoods without any commercial marijuana activity,” notes Lorine A. Hughes, PhD, associate professor in the School of Public Affairs at the University of Colorado Denver, who led the study. “But we also found that the strongest associations between dispensaries and crime weakened significantly over time.

https://news.ucdenver.edu/do-marijuana-dispensaries-increase-neighborhood-crime/

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Actually the Supreme Court shot the initiative out of the saddle. The legislature responded by erecting a 455 page "tax and fee the **** out of it" behemoth.

It's already here. It cannot be stopped, politically calculated opt outs notwithstanding.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
There's a term for this behavior. NIMBY. Not in my backyard. It's like commercial cancel culture. We have seen it for years.

-We need more affordable housing in Whitefish MT... Great let's build some multifamily housing in the edge of town. NIMBY. There will be dozens of cars at the stop light now. And the entire town voted against it.

-Drill baby drill in Texas. Oh wait, fracking is loud, ugly, and 17's with my health and safety. NIMBY. Do it over there near that guy's backyard.

Homeless shelters, cell towers, Airbnb's, WEDDING VENUES, schools... The list goes on forever. Everyone wants these things, but over there where I can get to it, but I don't have to deal with it or see it every day.

I imagine Madison is what it is because they have been NIMBY for 30 years.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This may be a great opportunity for smaller towns to capitalize and become destinations for folks. Kind of like big cities for small town folk with no liquor stores except in the opposite direction. It could become a boom for those towns that are dying off or struggling.
The big question is where does it grow best? I've heard that like West Virginia was a great spot, then you have northern California, but then Mexico too. I know it's often finished inside, so that can be done anywhere. But is our climate conducive to it?

That's what really will determine economic impact. If we don't gain anything but middle-man dispensaries, oh well. I'm all for the freedom of it but don't expect a big impact. But if they were ALL concentrated somewhere (like Jackson), since all these towns are opting out, maybe.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

That's what everybody claims individually but that's not what the stats bear out. And driving under the influence is a big part of it but certainlyu not the only part of it. I'm not against medical marijuana or recreational marijuana, but I've talked to enough people that work in places with medical and recreational that I don't think the problems are made up. I think recreational marijuana (which honestly, is what most medical marijuana laws allow also) does tend to make areas that aren't incredibly affluent just dirtier. Which is crazy to think that keeping it illegal, despite the crime that causes, somehow is less damaging, at least as far as how nice an area seems. But that seems to be the case.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
No our climate is not good enough for good quality medicinal (and recreational) marijuana. Industrial hemp grows well here and there was some grown for a couple years here but so many people jumped in the market that they crashed it with over supply.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
People in DeSoto county have been very vocal about having a new and larger animal shelter for years. Now that the county has decided to build it they have changed the location twice because people bitched about the potential noise of the dogs.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
This is the frustrating part to me. The people overwhelmingly voted, via ballot initiative, to allow this. The people were saying for years we wanted it and our representatives wouldn’t approve it. So, the people took it into their own hands. And now our representatives are creating loopholes to limit access to it. Very frustrating to have bureaucrats continue to tell their constituents what’s best for them.

It's campaign contributions by pharma, liquor, tobacco, and religion that is bringing about this result. Just follow the money, there you will find truth. ETA: And don't forget the power and pervasiveness of Dark Money. We badly need campaign finance reform.

Last edited:

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
The big question is where does it grow best? I've heard that like West Virginia was a great spot, then you have northern California, but then Mexico too. I know it's often finished inside, so that can be done anywhere. But is our climate conducive to it?

That's what really will determine economic impact. If we don't gain anything but middle-man dispensaries, oh well. I'm all for the freedom of it but don't expect a big impact. But if they were ALL concentrated somewhere (like Jackson), since all these towns are opting out, maybe.

Cultivation and Availability

The Mississippi Medical Cannabis Act requires that cultivation of marijuana occur indoors in secure facilities, and that these facilities must be located in Mississippi.

CULTIVATION LICENSES:

License Type Canopy (sq. ft.) One-time Application Fee Annual License Fee
Micro-cultivator Tier 1 <1,000 $1,500 $2,000
Micro-cultivator Tier 2 1,000 – ≤2,000 $2,500 $3,500
Cultivator Tier 1 2,000 – ≤5,000 $5,000 $15,000
Cultivator Tier 2 5,000 – ≤15,000 $10,000 $25,000
Cultivator Tier 3 15,000 – ≤30,000 $20,000 $50,000
Cultivator Tier 4 30,000 – ≤60,000 $30,000 $75,000
Cultivator Tier 5 60,000 – ≤100,000 $40,000 $100,000
Cultivator Tier 6 100,000+ $60,000 $150,000

<tbody>
</tbody>

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
The irony here will be that those folks who have been fleeing Jackson for the past many years will be forced to return to Jackson to purchase their medical marijuana as long as the bedroom communities continue to opt out. Too bad Jackson doesn't have any politicians savvy enough to see this coming or they could have altered the bill to give communities who allow sales to reap a larger portion of the taxes while allowing a smaller portion for communities that opt out. If they cut off the money flow a lot of these opt out communities would reverse course but as it is they will still get a share.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The irony here will be that those folks who have been fleeing Jackson for the past many years will be forced to return to Jackson to purchase their medical marijuana as long as the bedroom communities continue to opt out. Too bad Jackson doesn't have any politicians savvy enough to see this coming or they could have altered the bill to give communities who allow sales to reap a larger portion of the taxes while allowing a smaller portion for communities that opt out. If they cut off the money flow a lot of these opt out communities would reverse course but as it is they will still get a share.
Nothing ironic about that, hot-taker. I'm a suburb-ian who goes into Jackson to do a lot of things (restaurants for sure, then liquor until recently). Ain't nothing changed there. Matter of fact, that was the whole point of the original post.

Good point on the money, though.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Turn the delta into hemp fields!

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Not seeing the irony. Seems perfectly reasonable to me to want to live in Madison and drive into Jackson for things like strip clubs, coke, weed, and prostitutes. On second thought, probalby not for the prostitutes. Probably either want those from Madison or drive to Oxford I guess.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007

It's all grown indoors, where you can control the climate. You are not going to see huge fields of cannabis, maybe Hemp for CBD.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Is it?
I mean that’s a rule in almost every state when it comes to selling alcohol. Possibly tobacco too.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Why give clicks to that piece of crap excuse of a newspaper?

Can they really be classified as a newspaper? Aren't Newspapers supposed to be impartial?

(Unless they are located in the NorthEast which of course is more intellectual than the rest of the US. *WaPo for example)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login