Jackson Kelley just drafted in 11th round followed by KC Hunt....

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Kelley wasn’t coming to State so it’s not a loss.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
$125k plus any of the leftover slot money from a teams first 10 rounds of picks

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
What can a 12th round pick get? Am I correct in thinking that there is a maximum allowed bonus that is the same for every pick after the first 10 rounds?

After the first 10 rounds, players can be signed using bonus pool money that is left over. So if a team signs several players under slot, then a 12 round guy could get a decent signing bonus. Moot point, I think Jackson is ready to move on.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Hope he finds a coach that can rein his control in.

After the first 10 rounds, players can be signed using bonus pool money that is left over. So if a team signs several players under slot, then a 12 round guy could get a decent signing bonus. Moot point, I think Jackson is ready to move on.

He had great attributes, but was a damn disaster on the mound. He peaked in his first game of his freshman year. I never knew if it was more on Foxhall or Fristoe, but JF had his ugly mug front and center on every Natty pic and didn’t throw a single pic. Makes me think he needs to grow up.

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
He had great attributes, but was a damn disaster on the mound. He peaked in his first game of his freshman year. I never knew if it was more on Foxhall or Fristoe, but JF had his ugly mug front and center on every Natty pic and didn’t throw a single pic. Makes me think he needs to grow up.

I read a quote yesterday from the Orioles, they said they think they can clean up Preston Johnson's delivery and make him more efficient. If JF can get with the right coach/org I could see him making the bigs. All the physical tools are there. Long way to go obviously, but we saw the talent his freshman year.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Fristoe and KC both have two more years of eligibility to improve their draft stock if they want. However, I would be surprised if they both came back

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
PJ has filthy stuff…

I read a quote yesterday from the Orioles, they said they think they can clean up Preston Johnson's delivery and make him more efficient. If JF can get with the right coach/org I could see him making the bigs. All the physical tools are there. Long way to go obviously, but we saw the talent his freshman year.

But I’ll be damned if he ever had a game where he didn’t give up a random homer or two that put us in peril after an otherwise amazing outing. Never seen anything like it, really.

I could seem him having a nice pro career. Same with Fristoe, if they get the mental part figured out.

I was at Fristoe’s first game in Arlington, and inadvertently sat by his parents. They said Foxhall was THE reason they picked State. I still don’t know what to think about Fox…

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Can't really blame him. I would like for him to come back because he obviously has potential, but don't blame him for feeling like he needs a change of scenery.

And he's rocking a 10+ ERA in Cape Cod, so I'm not sure he's close to figuring things out.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
But I’ll be damned if he ever had a game where he didn’t give up a random homer or two that put us in peril after an otherwise amazing outing. Never seen anything like it, really.

It was a running joke at our house. He was good for one home run a game. We always hoped it was a solo shot, which typically it was because he was pitching well.

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
Roster shaping up:

Returning Players
1. Downs
2. Kam James- up in the air
3. B. Smith- up in the air
4. Kohn
5. Kellum Clark
6. Cade Smith
7. Cheatham
8. Stone Simmons-recovering from injury
9. Brooks Auger-recovering from injury
10. Hancock- up in the air
11. Alford
12. Seibert-asked to come back for the fall
13. Chance
14. Forsythe
15. Hunter Hines

Transfers:
1. Gartman, RHP
2. Nixon, RHP
3. Dohm, RHP
4. Ledbetter, OF
5. Larry, 2B
6. Hoyle, MIF, walk-on

Signees
1. Logan Forsythe
2. Bryce Hubbard
3. Dak Jordan
4. McClain Ray
5. Mershon
6. Siary
7. Loftin
8. Gibbs
9. Murdock
10. Tapper
11. Ryan Williams
12. Tommasini
13. Highfill
14. Porter
15. Cijintje
16. Nathan Williams
17. Holcombe-Juco
18. Max Miller
19. Yntema- Juco
20. Nate Chester- Juco

So 41 guys in the mix for 35 Roster spots. Remember only 27 on Scholarship. Some of these guy listed will not be here in the fall. Even more after the fall. And we still have to hit the portal pretty hard. But this is where we stand right now.

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
They said Foxhall was THE reason they picked State. I still don’t know what to think about Fox

I don't know either.....Disappointed he wasn't able to develop Fristoe, Tepper, Hunt, Tullar, Cerantola, Walling, etc. Those were highly though of arms when signed. I like the way he protects arms, though we ended up with several arm injuries this year so who knows.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Fristoe and KC both have two more years of eligibility to improve their draft stock if they want. However, I would be surprised if they both came back
That's like saying Kam has another year of leverage (talking about Hunt here). He technically does, but it doesn't matter. The MLB will not fall for that next year. If they want to sign they better do it now. Age matters to MLB. The reason you get drafted as a junior is because they've seen your talent. They only reason you come back is if you didn't get drafted like Tim Elko last year, i.e. no choice.

Fristoe could come back and be a normal junior but he's older like Kam, and Kam hasn't been drafted yet after being drafted last year, so is that a guy idea?

By the way, is Bianco still overrated?

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I had high hopes for both of those guys, but they never could throw strikes. That normally just doesn't get worked out in college. Good luck to them.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Roster shaping up:

Returning Players
1. Downs
2. Kam James- up in the air
3. B. Smith- up in the air
4. Kohn
5. Kellum Clark
6. Cade Smith
7. Cheatham
8. Stone Simmons-recovering from injury
9. Brooks Auger-recovering from injury
10. Hancock- up in the air
11. Alford
12. Seibert-asked to come back for the fall
13. Chance
14. Forsythe
15. Hunter Hines

Transfers:
1. Gartman, RHP
2. Nixon, RHP
3. Dohm, RHP
4. Ledbetter, OF
5. Larry, 2B
6. Hoyle, MIF, walk-on

Signees
1. Logan Forsythe
2. Bryce Hubbard
3. Dak Jordan
4. McClain Ray
5. Mershon
6. Siary
7. Loftin
8. Gibbs
9. Murdock
10. Tapper
11. Ryan Williams
12. Tommasini
13. Highfill
14. Porter
15. Cijintje
16. Nathan Williams
17. Holcombe-Juco
18. Max Miller
19. Yntema- Juco
20. Nate Chester- Juco

So 41 guys in the mix for 35 Roster spots. Remember only 27 on Scholarship. Some of these guy listed will not be here in the fall. Even more after the fall. And we still have to hit the portal pretty hard. But this is where we stand right now.

Overall, it looks like a very young but talented roster.

We may have some hard decisions ahead on what to do with Simmons and Auger. I don’t expect either will be able to give us much of anything before the Fall of 2023, and both will be 22 years old then.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I don't know either.....Disappointed he wasn't able to develop Fristoe, Tepper, Hunt, Tullar, Cerantola, Walling, etc. Those were highly though of arms when signed. I like the way he protects arms, though we ended up with several arm injuries this year so who knows.
Not really about Foxhall.....it's more that nobody really develops arms in college. They can't. Pressure to win is too much, can't let guys work through things. The headcases rarely work out. That's why I say pitchers should go pro as soon as they have the opportunity.

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
Not really about Foxhall.....it's more that nobody really develops arms in college. They can't. Pressure to win is too much, can't let guys work through things. The headcases rarely work out. That's why I say pitchers should go pro as soon as they have the opportunity.

Just not true at all. There a lot of pitchers that get developed in college. Just look at the kid from AU that couldn't throw a strike 2 years ago and gets drafted Day 1 this year.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Just not true at all. There a lot of pitchers that get developed in college. Just look at the kid from AU that couldn't throw a strike 2 years ago and gets drafted Day 1 this year.
That's on the kid, not the coach, usually. My point was that the coach isn't the one responsible for the development. These guys generally 'develop' more in summer ball. Dakota Hudson says what's up.

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
That's on the kid, not the coach, usually. My point was that the coach isn't the one responsible for the development. These guys generally 'develop' more in summer ball. Dakota Hudson says what's up.

I agree that the individual player has to take responsibility for his own development. A lot of times they will go and train outside the program. But I like to think our highly paid pitching coach has some ownership in that development as well.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
We have to land Skenes. Arkansas scares me.

It would be nice for sure. But it also might be a tough sell at this point. Cade Smith and Landon Gartman have 2 of the 3 weekend spots locked up. If Pico makes the leap, you certainly expect him to be in the mix for the 3rd weekend spot….although it would certainly be nice to have the luxury of keeping him in the pen just for some continuity there (since everyone else is gone).

We’re also going to be counting on Loftin, Holcombe, Dohm, and Nixon very heavily in the pen….especially early in the season. Then we need 3 or 4 of the signees to step up and be able to fill roles as well. IF we can figure out the bullpen, the other pieces seem to be in place for a decent team.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
James, Hunt, Fristoe, and Smith are gone/not returning. Hancock is rumored to be gone as well, but we'll see.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
It would be nice for sure. But it also might be a tough sell at this point. Cade Smith and Landon Gartman have 2 of the 3 weekend spots locked up. If Pico makes the leap, you certainly expect him to be in the mix for the 3rd weekend spot….although it would certainly be nice to have the luxury of keeping him in the pen just for some continuity there (since everyone else is gone).

We’re also going to be counting on Loftin, Holcombe, Dohm, and Nixon very heavily in the pen….especially early in the season. Then we need 3 or 4 of the signees to step up and be able to fill roles as well. IF we can figure out the bullpen, the other pieces seem to be in place for a decent team.

Skenes is better than both of those guys. And I'll be honest, our rotation isn't going to dominate even with Skenes, but he'd be our best. We don't have a lights out, dominating pitcher without Skenes. Smith and Gartman are good but neither are really a Friday guy.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Skenes is better than both of those guys. And I'll be honest, our rotation isn't going to dominate even with Skenes, but he'd be our best. We don't have a lights out, dominating pitcher without Skenes. Smith and Gartman are good but neither are really a Friday guy.

As a pure pitcher, that’s very debatable. He had a slightly better ERA than Gartman against much worse competition. Both had lower ERA’s than Cade Smith, but he had a sub-4.00 against SEC competition, which is no small task. I’d love to have all three of them, and having Skenes also able to play a position or DH is a huge bonus.

I do think Kohn has a higher ceiling than all of them. Hopefully he shows up in the fall ready to roll.

Last edited:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
As a pure pitcher, that’s very debatable. He had a slightly better ERA than Gartman against much worse competition. Both had lower ERA’s than Cade Smith, but he had a sub-4.00 against SEC competition, which is no small task. I’d love to have all three of them, and having Skenes also able to play a position or DH is a huge bonus.

I do think Kohn has a higher ceiling than all of them. Hopefully he shows up in the fall ready to roll.

They're not lock down power guys that will dominate with swing and misses. None have electric stuff. Kohn is a long reliever IMO. He can get some starts, but not a rotation guy. We're about to go after some arms in the portal. Stone is out next year and Auger is a question too. Relying on FR is scary. Dohm is electric and I see him starting at some point.

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
They're not lock down power guys that will dominate with swing and misses. None have electric stuff. Kohn is a long reliever IMO. He can get some starts, but not a rotation guy. We're about to go after some arms in the portal. Stone is out next year and Auger is a question too. Relying on FR is scary. Dohm is electric and I see him starting at some point.

Why is Kohn not a potential rotation guy? Hit 90 mph from the LH side as a true freshmen who is still getting stronger. Has a solid curve ball. Has the size and frame to be dominant and go out there for long outings. Was a legit MLB draft risk level talent when he was coming out. Averaged a K per inning as a true freshmen in the SEC and didn’t walk a ton of guys. What more do you need to see from him?

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Why is Kohn not a potential rotation guy? Hit 90 mph from the LH side as a true freshmen who is still getting stronger. Has a solid curve ball. Has the size and frame to be dominant and go out there for long outings. Was a legit MLB draft risk level talent when he was coming out. Averaged a K per inning as a true freshmen in the SEC and didn’t walk a ton of guys. What more do you need to see from him?
You know not to listen to hot-takers like him. Of course Kohn can be a weekend starter. Cooter is just saying that because that's what Kohn was this year, and he has no ability to think beyond what just happened.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

Maybe he is but you would think, unless someone just hates being a student, that they would be ready to move on AFTER they had actually proven something in college.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

Well yea, if your pitching coach isn't very good then they develop more in summer ball. But college players spend all Fall and Spring with their college coaches and about 6 weeks in Summer ball.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

Pitching is still a MAJOR concern for next year and the reason I still don't see us being any more than middle of the SEC pack. I mean if you take away KC Hunt, Brandon Smith, Preston Johnson and Jackson Fristoe and replace them with Gartman, Nixon and Dohm are we much better than we were? Now if we get Skenes and have some FR pitchers come in ready to contribute then that might change things. Of course being middle of the pack would be a lot better than what we did this past year and OM just won a Natty being middle of the pack.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Pitching is still a MAJOR concern for next year and the reason I still don't see us being any more than middle of the SEC pack. I mean if you take away KC Hunt, Brandon Smith, Preston Johnson and Jackson Fristoe and replace them with Gartman, Nixon and Dohm are we much better than we were? Now if we get Skenes and have some FR pitchers come in ready to contribute then that might change things. Of course being middle of the pack would be a lot better than what we did this past year and OM just won a Natty being middle of the pack.
Couple of things -

1) Losing the guys we had isn't going to hurt very much. Half of them couldn't throw strikes and the other half got shelled when they did.
2) Ole Miss was not middle of the pack. They were always good, just underachieved during the mid-season.

You still have to have the horses. These guys coming in for us have at least proven they can go and compete on the mound. They may not be MLB projectable type guys but damn, that **** just hasn't worked out for us much lately. I'll take the guys who go out and throw strikes.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login