Jackson Parker

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Why didn’t we end up signing Jackson Parker out of Stringer? Committed to us since like the 9th grade and just saw where he signed with Southern Miss. What happened?

EagleDawg97

Mar 18, 2020
Kid wants to hit and State wanted him to be a Pitcher Only (PO) according to his family. He has concerns with being a PO due to arm issues between his junior and senior year. TJ surgery between his junior and senior year of high school. He will get a shot to hit and play 1B at USM. May pitch some also down the road, but not his primary role.

Family feels they were done pretty dirty by State, as the PO stuff was never really mentioned until after Stringer’s state championship loss this season. So very late in the process.

Golden Eagles are pretty pumped to get this kid. God only made so many kids that can hit it 450ft+, and he is one of them.

Last edited:

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Is it though?

EagleDawg97

Mar 18, 2020
Ask any high school player or coach what it means when a player is a PO if you don’t believe me.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Ask any high school player or coach what it means when a player is a PO if you don’t believe me.

Despite all the post saying what Lemonis is doing wrong every game, this board is not full of players and coaches.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Is he the one that doesn’t want to leave home?

I’ve heard this from several of his locals. Also heard that state wanted him to pitch. Why couldn’t he have played first base in games he didn’t pitch? Why did state want to make a hitter this good a pitcher only? This kid hits bombs.

Edit- I thought we actually signed him back in November 2021. How does that work, did we release him?

Last edited:

471dawg

Aug 26, 2012
Throughout the recruiting process nothing was ever mentioned to him about pitching , he never threw a bullpen up there ,he never talked with Foxhall , when he committed on the phone to lemonis ,Lemonis told him how the dude was tailored to left handed batters blah blah blah
He makes it to campus has a sit down with lemonis and that’s when lemonis tells him excited to have you pitching for us , so he was kinda in shock being that it was never mentioned during recruiting also was told
He wouldn’t get a chance to even compete at first or to bat this year at all , lemonis didn’t even know the kid had only pitched 7 innings all year
Bad communication from our staff , same thing with kid from Brandon who decommitted hardly any communication at all from our staff

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Eagle is correct. He was a PO for us. He didn't pass his physical to pitch and we released him.
There's some other stuff but USM is a good spot for him.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Yes. I coached several years. PO-pitcher only
P/OF- pitcher/outfield. It’s especially used in scouting.

baddawggy

Jun 12, 2018
I don’t know why y’all are downvoting this guy. PO is a common term in baseball. He is correct.

• What Does PO Stand for in Baseball. The abbreviation PO in baseball translates to two things: “putout” and “pitcher only”. The putout (PO) is a credit given to the fielder who can physically record the full occurrence of an out.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Im completely mystified about how the staff recruited the Keys kid.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I think we're all wrong. We need Bruce to weigh in. He has more experience than any of us.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
  • What Does PO Stand for in Baseball. The abbreviation PO in baseball translates to two things: “putout” and “pitcher only”. The putout (PO) is a credit given to the fielder who can physically record the full occurrence of an out.

WRONG, it means Purchase Order.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It sucks, but recruiting's always been that way. You only have so many places, and if you can bring in a better player than the one who's committed to you, you have to do it. No idea if it was the right or the wrong decision in this case. But Lemonis is going to be judged by how many games and titles he wins, not by how nice he is.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Throughout the recruiting process nothing was ever mentioned to him about pitching , he never threw a bullpen up there ,he never talked with Foxhall , when he committed on the phone to lemonis ,Lemonis told him how the dude was tailored to left handed batters blah blah blah
He makes it to campus has a sit down with lemonis and that’s when lemonis tells him excited to have you pitching for us , so he was kinda in shock being that it was never mentioned during recruiting also was told
He wouldn’t get a chance to even compete at first or to bat this year at all , lemonis didn’t even know the kid had only pitched 7 innings all year
Bad communication from our staff , same thing with kid from Brandon who decommitted hardly any communication at all from our staff

I’m 100% positive that there’s a whole hell of a lot more to the story than that, but thanks for your input. Most on here who know how college baseball recruiting works can fill in the gaps and figure out what happened quite easily.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We've cut loose a lot of recruits this year. We'll see if it was the right decision. The portal is creating a lot of change.

I'm not sure how much of that is driven by the portal and how much of it was driven by the realization that what they had been doing wasn't working. Certainly the portal is driving some of it. If we couldn't pick up so many portal players we'd have to be more reliant on rebuilding through recruiting. But we'd still probably be dropping players and trying to find JUCO stop gaps (as hard as that is to do) and re-evaluating our scouting since we had so few younger players step up when the upperclassmen didn't exactly have their positions on lock down.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I hate it for him mostly because he hails from my home county but hopefully he'll turn out to do well for Southern Miss.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
I would have said it meant "Pissed Off". Sorry Mamm - I couldn't figure a politically corret way to say it. Maybe ... Nope - that doesn't work either.

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
I think it was mainly driven by our poor season and our roster makeup. We had no choice but to hit the portal.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
We've cut loose a lot of recruits this year. We'll see if it was the right decision. The portal is creating a lot of change.

It sounds like Parker cut himself loose because he didn’t want to pitch (or couldn’t due to being injured). We still offered him a chance to compete for at least a year on the mound.

Last edited:

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
Golden Eagles are pretty pumped to get this kid. God only made so many kids that can hit it 450ft+, and he is one of them.

Keep us posted on how many 450+ homers he hits. Maybe a few at USM considering the level of competition in whatever conference they are in now. But against SEC pitching, doubtful he would have been hitting many bombs of that caliber if allowed to hit.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
It sounds like Parker cut himself loose because he didn’t want to pitch. We still offered him a chance to compete for at least a year on the mound.

That's false. He was looking at a redshirt at best. We can call it a mutual parting of ways.

Last edited:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I'm not sure how much of that is driven by the portal and how much of it was driven by the realization that what they had been doing wasn't working. Certainly the portal is driving some of it. If we couldn't pick up so many portal players we'd have to be more reliant on rebuilding through recruiting. But we'd still probably be dropping players and trying to find JUCO stop gaps (as hard as that is to do) and re-evaluating our scouting since we had so few younger players step up when the upperclassmen didn't exactly have their positions on lock down.

There's no rebuilds with the portal. You cut the marginal guys loose.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login