Jackson State new stadium…..

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If I recall correctly, it’s a quid pro quo that’s been years in the making.

When Phil Bryant ran for Governor, one of the things he wanted was to have the space for an expanded UMC with the med school and hospital taking control of Memorial Stadium.

He said that if it occurred that the state would have to build and pay for JSU’s new stadium.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
If I recall correctly, it’s a quid pro quo that’s been years in the making.

When Phil Bryant ran for Governor, one of the things he wanted was to have the space for an expanded UMC with the med school and hospital taking control of Memorial Stadium.

He said that if it occurred that the state would have to build and pay for JSU’s new stadium.

I think you’re right. The state wants the space where memorial stadium is for UMC, and probably needs it.

I’m all for JSU getting a new stadium and understand why they would want it on campus. However, I think the best for the city, state and ultimately JSU is to do something in downtown Jackson. Do something that can be multi purpose and benefit downtown Jackson.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I wish they would put it downtown. Putting it on JSU's campus - no one will go. Putting it downtown where everyone can see it from the interstate - it might be a way to revitalize downtown in some capacity.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Put it downtown near the Interstate, what could possibly go wrong?

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
This is a bit of an interesting debate here. It starts with the question of if downtown jackson can be saved.

I want the answer to be yes, but after being in the area for 20+ years the internal leadership and supportive base is getting worse, not better.

I don’t think the arguments for having it on campus are strong enough to make that far and away the leading option.

Utopia would be to have it close to campus but part of a big downtown revitalize project but I just have so little faith in that happening.

Giving it about 5 min of thought and having no idea of the available land, building something around LeFluers or Smith Wills makes some long term sense.

Aug 28, 2018
But does it? Things were once new and nice there. The reasons things became the way they are now are the same reasons that keep people from trying to make things new and nice again. You can't park a Ferrari in a mudhole and expect it to stay clean.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If I'm a higher up at JSU, I'd make it known to someone with the state to add funding for mixed-use development (much like Georgia State has done and is doing with old Turner Field) if a downtown stadium is really wanted.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
Do they plan to bulldoze memorial stadium? That will cost tens of millions, right? That’s what I was told about bulldozing the Hump.

patdog

May 28, 2007
More like every 100 years, if that. It was a joke. Seriously, JSU's new stadium does need to be downtown.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Get with the USFL and determine what it would take to get a team in Jackson. Work with JSU and the USFL to develop a stadium we could all be proud of and try to locate it near the Mississippi Braves Stadium.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You can get people to go downtown to a concert/events at a new stadium and draw acts/events. On JSUs campus not so much

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This is a bit of an interesting debate here. It starts with the question of if downtown jackson can be saved.

I want the answer to be yes, but after being in the area for 20+ years the internal leadership and supportive base is getting worse, not better.

I don’t think the arguments for having it on campus are strong enough to make that far and away the leading option.

Utopia would be to have it close to campus but part of a big downtown revitalize project but I just have so little faith in that happening.

Giving it about 5 min of thought and having no idea of the available land, building something around LeFluers or Smith Wills makes some long term sense.
First, you have to start with the viewpoint that it really can't get much worse. Accepting that, yes, downtown Jackson can absolutely be saved. The bones are there for it to be very cool. And again, it can only get better.

The revitalization WILL happen, at some point. It may just take a pro-business mayor, simple as that. There are a lot of young people in Jackson now, and they'll eventually vote someone decent in.

Jackson is just about 20 years behind other cities around the South. I mean they were building a stadium in the suburbs, when others were figuring out that it benefited the whole area by being downtown. Looks like they are about to make a similar mistake with JSU's stadium, although it will definitely be cheaper by being on-campus. It'll certainly never attract anything major.

And maybe that's fine. I'd rather invest in a nice arena, whenever the time comes for that. A lot more potential than a football stadium, which can basically only host JSU football, a bowl game, maybe some soccer or something. MSU, Ole Miss and USM have zero interest in moving home football games away from their own stadiums. An arena can hold all-weather concerts, NCAA basketball, etc. If Jackson doesn't do this, Flowood probably eventually will.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
More like every 100 years, if that. It was a joke. Seriously, JSU's new stadium does need to be downtown.

A lot of the problem was human error with managing the water level. That has been fix. I guess they lived and learned.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
We’re talking about a JSU football stadium. That would spur some other businesses to pop up around there. That’s a good thing. Personally, I’d love to see several new black-owned businesses open and thrive serving the community over there. If they had to put the stadium somewhere, it’s as good a spot as any.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Trustmark Park going to Pearl (and not downtown or at least on Lakeland) was a huge whiff by the City of Jackson. No way JSU's new stadium would go there too.

Aug 28, 2018
Outside of game day, what other incentive would there be to open new businesses there? Black, white, hispanic, asian (or other) business, it needs to thrive. Businesses don't thrive in areas with high drug and crime rates. Hence the reason they leave to begin with. I do agree, it would be nice to have new businesses open in that area and thrive while serving that community. I'm afraid the community would only take over again.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The flood a couple of years ago suggests you may be right. It was bad, and I saw water way higher that I'd ever seen before and in places I'd never seen before. But for the most part, it didn't flood houses or downtown like the 1979 flood did. We even played tennis at Parham Bridges during the flood.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Blow up the metro center and put there. It's going to end up close to Campus if I had to guess. No way the state gives up fairground land. Other option is really flood prone. And we all know, with climate change, it's going to flood right? Regardless, Da Mayor on dat dope!

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
I would say it can get worse and I’m not as confident in the revitalization happening at some point. Time has jaded me.

Didn’t they also look at a multi-purpose indoor arena that could also do football at one point? Whatever happened to that concept?

I wouldn’t think it would be less expensive to build an indoor arena bs doing a football stadium and a new smaller arena.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Here's the deal. There is no area within the Jackson city limits where locating that stadium would a huge positive impact. They should just do the best (cheapest) job they can of re-arraigning the Titanic's deck furniture.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Bulldoze the Metro Center and put it there. Great visibility and access.
Nah, terrible idea. Needs to either be on campus or in downtown Jackson. Trying to save multiple areas won't work, it will just fail like the Metrocenter did.

Baseball park to Pearl, Zoo staying where it is, and JSU stadium.....strike 3 for the immediate impact stuff. Oh well, at least there's Lefleur's Bluff deal and One Lake coming.

But again, an arena downtown, and a zoo in Rankin County.....that's likely the best scenario.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Here's the deal. There is no area within the Jackson city limits where locating that stadium would a huge positive impact. They should just do the best (cheapest) job they can of re-arraigning the Titanic's deck furniture.
It would have an impact downtown. I don't think this can be argued. Hell, the Vet has an impact downtown. But honestly, expanding the hospital is a better use.

That's why I don't really care if they put it on campus. Cheapest option.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I would say it can get worse and I’m not as confident in the revitalization happening at some point. Time has jaded me.

Didn’t they also look at a multi-purpose indoor arena that could also do football at one point? Whatever happened to that concept?

I wouldn’t think it would be less expensive to build an indoor arena bs doing a football stadium and a new smaller arena.
Everybody has left, the money exodus has essentially stopped. You can't have much worse of a mayor or city council, or county commission. Then you had the COVID crime spike. It literally can't get any worse, man.

Revitalization was already happening, was slowed by COVID, and now it's ramping back up.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

They did consider a dome. It didn't get traction.

Considering the good publicity (not to mention improvement for the team) JSU's gotten since they've hired Deion, this might be the best time for them to get what they want.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The 4 legged and winged animals don't deserve that dump of a zoo now, the only ones that do are the 2 legged animals that live around it and assisted in turning it into the crime zone area it is now.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
I've had to look into this for work in the past year thanks to them filling up the Vet again, and some things I've learned in that: 1) JSU has acquired a TON of old residential property to the east of their campus over to Terry Road, and has demolished a ton of old houses. They absolutely have room to put it on-campus (and who could begrudge a college wanting an on-campus stadium, honestly?), and 2) the bill that transferred Veterans Stadium from the Dept of Finance & Administration to Jackson State specifically says it belongs to JSU until they start playing football games at another venue, at which point the entire property passes to UMMC to utilize as they see fit (which means it'll be demolished to make way for UMMC expansion).

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Everybody has left, the money exodus has essentially stopped. You can't have much worse of a mayor or city council, or county commission. Then you had the COVID crime spike. It literally can't get any worse, man.

Revitalization was already happening, was slowed by COVID, and now it's ramping back up.

Trustmark is about the only sizable operation downtown now (not state owned anyway).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login