Jackson surpassed by Memphis...

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
Jackson's numbers on STDs are generally improved each time there is a murder. The Mayor can spin improvement on the STD front while ignoring the murder count.
it also doesn't help when your state leadership bans practical sex education courses and instead believes the "abstinence is the best practice". I think those free condom machines were banned by the state too. it's what happens when people vote in the chris mcdaniels and the tate reeves of society.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
it also doesn't help when your state leadership bans practical sex education courses and instead believes the "abstinence is the best practice". I think those free condom machines were banned by the state too. it's what happens when people vote in the chris mcdaniels and the tate reeves of society.
Wait a minute, I just read in the other thread that the general public was 'aware' of how crack is bad for you... so telling them not to do it is a complete waste of time. But now you're telling me those same people aren't 'aware' that running around having unprotected sex leads to STDs (not to mention the whole baby thing)?? So they need to be made aware, and it's somehow Tate's fault...?

Come on, man, this isn't the 80's!!!1!!!

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
Wait a minute, I just read in the other thread that the general public was 'aware' of how crack is bad for you... so telling them not to do it is a complete waste of time. But now you're telling me those same people aren't 'aware' that running around having unprotected sex leads to STDs (not to mention the whole baby thing)?? So they need to be made aware, and it's somehow Tate's fault...?

Come on, man, this isn't the 80's!!!1!!!
you'd be amazed at how ignorant kids are in mississippi. i don't blame them though, i blame their parents and the state leadership deprives young people opportunity to learn in the name of their ree-li-jun.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Jackson's numbers on STDs are generally improved each time there is a murder. The Mayor can spin improvement on the STD front while ignoring the murder count.
I know this is a joke, but thankfully Jackson murders are way, way down this year so far. If things don’t get out of hand this summer Jackson could be looking at a huge decrease. And zero murders this year east of I55 or near Fondren or Belhaven.

Also note that only 2 of Jackson's 41 murders this year have occurred in the CCID, and that those two happened on the very edges (on Mill St and on Earl St between Gallatin and JSU.)

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Sounds like Jackson should put out some free condom machines**
You can actually get as many free condoms as you want from any health department location. There are some societal manliness implications about condom wearing that likely lead to lack of use. I bet the demographic is primarily poor and lacking in education, but I have not taken time to look at any data.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I know this is a joke, but thankfully Jackson murders are way, way down this year so far. If things don’t get out of hand this summer Jackson could be looking at a huge decrease. And zero murders this year east of I55 or near Fondren or Belhaven.

Also note that only 2 of Jackson's 41 murders this year have occurred in the CCID, and that those two happened on the very edges (on Mill St and on Earl St between Gallatin and JSU.)

Probably because everybody's already dead ***

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Probably because everybody's already dead ***
In all seriousness, a theory repeatedly put out by the police the last couple of years was that one specific group of kids was committing a bunch of these murders. And they did supposedly get that group last year I believe.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm all free condoms, birth control and even paying folks not to have kids, but I don't sex education has anything to do with this. Kids these days are exposed to sex long before they get to school.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'm all free condoms, birth control and even paying folks not to have kids, but I don't sex education has anything to do with this. Kids these days are exposed to sex long before they get to school.
What do you think sex education actually is and would it be better to call it 'human health' or 'reproductive health' class?
Seriously, do you think everything in a health class is learned by kids long before they get to school? WT17?!?

I mean, kids being exposed to sex thru TV, movies, music, etc is not at all the same as facts and learning about reproductive organs, reproductive safety, reproductive health, and all the chemical as well as physical changes that come during puberty and pregnancy.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Unfortunately, and to your point, SexEd would have to start at a very early age. I think that they are very directly exposed to sex way before they understand what it is, can mean, when it is inappropriate, the potential for life altering consequences, etc. Honestly, my high school SexEd class focused exclusively on the biology of it and spent no time on any other aspects.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
What do you think sex education actually is and would it be better to call it 'human health' or 'reproductive health' class?
Seriously, do you think everything in a health class is learned by kids long before they get to school? WT17?!?

I mean, kids being exposed to sex thru TV, movies, music, etc is not at all the same as facts and learning about reproductive organs, reproductive safety, reproductive health, and all the chemical as well as physical changes that come during puberty and pregnancy.
I think you're a little naive, but i do work in Jxn, if you live in New Albany, you likely have a different world view. I mean, JPS can barely teach kids to read. Kids with the highest teen birthrates are also kids that are parented the least, many of these kids have little supervision from early on in life.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I think you're a little naive, but i do work in Jxn, if you live in New Albany, you likely have a different world view. I mean, JPS can barely teach kids to read. Kids with the highest teen birthrates are also kids that are parented the least, many of these kids have little supervision from early on in life.
You claim that kids are exposed to sex long before they get to school and therefore wouldnt benefit from reproductive health classes, yet I am the naive one?
Bean please.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I say the heck with condoms, lets have the government subsidize free sterilization.

Of course, no one will go for that, because a lot of these clowns' natural instincts kick in when in comes to makin' babies. Maybe a free dinner will do the trick?

Freedom is freedom, and we're in a fallen world, so it amazes me the idiocy that people on the right show, when it comes to the 'sanctity of life'. You really think these clowns out in the real world are going to 'practice abstinence' or truly take care of the unwanted kids when they are born? But tear down the clinics, mane.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You claim that kids are exposed to sex long before they get to school and therefore wouldnt benefit from reproductive health classes, yet I am the naive one?
Bean please.
Please understand, I'm not advocating for or against it, only stating it won't make a difference.

Find a city similar in demographics to Jxn that teaches a sex ed course that you thank is good and I guarantee you there won't be much of a difference. Now handing out condoms and birth control on every corner would likely make a difference.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
you'd be amazed at how ignorant kids are in mississippi. i don't blame them though, i blame their parents and the state leadership deprives young people opportunity to learn in the name of their ree-li-jun.

Kids are not ignorant of sex AT ALL. They know exactly what sex is and what it leads to. By the time theyre old enough for sex ed they know it ALL.

The problem is HUGE and multifaceted and will not be fixed.

Recipe for getting out of poverty (borne out in numerous studies):

1. Graduate from high school
2. Get a full time job.
3. Do not get married or have kids before 21 (I'd argue higher but whatever).

Teach that in school, show the data. It might not charge everyone but at least they'd know and can't feign ignorance.

While this follows the Biblical teachings, that doesn't even matter in this scenario. If you are too dumb to get a job you're going to fail. If you don't have a job you shouldn't consider being with a partner. If you aren't committed to that partner you shouldn't do the things that might cause you to have a child.

The point of failure here is number 1. Why are we failing to educate our youth? Well that's a completely different thread. Many will say, well the parents suck, and yeah, that's true, but let's figure out how to break the cycle there and not later on when they have 3 baby mamas.

End of rant.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
Kids in Mississippi aren’t so ignorant that they don’t know where babies come from. You are a complete 17ing retard if you think that sex education is going to prevent STDs or unwanted births.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Kids in Mississippi aren’t so ignorant that they don’t know where babies come from. You are a complete 17ing retard if you don't think that sex education is going to lower STD or unwanted birth rates.
FIFY. It won't prevent, but it will lower at some level. The same way hunter's safety training doesn't prevent hunting accidents, but it reduces them. Everyone should be taught how to safely both their guns.**

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Kids are not ignorant of sex AT ALL. They know exactly what sex is and what it leads to. By the time theyre old enough for sex ed they know it ALL.
Kids in Mississippi aren’t so ignorant that they don’t know where babies come from. You are a complete 17ing retard if you think that sex education is going to prevent STDs or unwanted births.

It appears that multiple posters on this site dont understand the full scope of what is covered in a reproductive health class.

The literal act of penetrative sex really doesnt even need to be taught- there is endless information which is crucial to kids becoming well informed adults and fully understanding how to be physically and emotionally healthy when it comes to reproductive issues(sex, love, disease, pregnancy, lost pregnancy, safety, cleanliness, etc).

This thread started out by showing how Jackson no longer leads the country in STDs per capita and its closest neighboring city, Memphis, took over. To me, the reality that better/more education on reproductive health education is needed in that greater area is glaringly obvious. But with some people thinking reproductive health education only consists of 'how babies are made', I can see why there the general area leads the country in STDs.

Here is whats needed to help reduce STDs, reduce unwanted pregnancies, and improve sexual reproductive health in city/county/region-
- provide easy access to safe and effective birth control(condoms) that block fluid transmission.
- support access to reproductive health clinics for people to be seen and treated when needed.
- identify local societal issues that cause increased STD and unwanted pregnancy numbers and address those issues(high teen pregnancy rate, low condom use in casual sex, high STD rate in certain demographic population, etc etc).
- educate children early on reproductive health, how to identify issues, how to prevent infection, etc. Part of the emotional health that needs to be taught is power dynamic manipulation and pressuring before someone is ready or pressuring someone to not use birth control.
This is all just biology- it isnt disgusting, it isnt grooming, and it isnt inappropriate to teach to kids. Kids can start learning this in elementary school, but if you start in 5th grade and continue with a class that is a few weeks long each year thru 10th grade, it can start out basic and go more in depth as the child matures both physically and emotionally. Removing shame and stigmas early on will help improve reproductive practices later.
- push for community wellness through local awareness campaigns. Making it known there is access to health clinics in an area will help. Making it known that birth control is easy to use and widely available will help.

None of this will fully eliminate STDs, unwanted pregnancy, or sexually abusive relationships. But it helps.
And once more- none of this has to do with the literal simple act of penetrative sex, which you two and more seem to be hung up on. I should be surprised that people dont find value in reproductive health class, but this is SPS so I am not. I should be surprised that people dont even understand what all is covered in reproductive health class, but this is SPS so I am not.

@Dawghouse - I am confident that even now as an adult, if you had to identify even 5 parts of a woman's vulva, you would fail. 'Those right there are the flappers!'
@BELdog - Studies show a direct connection between reproductive health class and increased understanding of sexual health practices, which include reduced STD occurrence, increased STD testing and treatment(to, you know, not spread it), and reduced unwanted pregnancy. Also, improved access to reproductive health clinics is crucial to reducing numbers in an area. It sucks that you think that isnt real.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
It appears that multiple posters on this site dont understand the full scope of what is covered in a reproductive health class.

The literal act of penetrative sex really doesnt even need to be taught- there is endless information which is crucial to kids becoming well informed adults and fully understanding how to be physically and emotionally healthy when it comes to reproductive issues(sex, love, disease, pregnancy, lost pregnancy, safety, cleanliness, etc).

This thread started out by showing how Jackson no longer leads the country in STDs per capita and its closest neighboring city, Memphis, took over. To me, the reality that better/more education on reproductive health education is needed in that greater area is glaringly obvious. But with some people thinking reproductive health education only consists of 'how babies are made', I can see why there the general area leads the country in STDs.

Here is whats needed to help reduce STDs, reduce unwanted pregnancies, and improve sexual reproductive health in city/county/region-
- provide easy access to safe and effective birth control(condoms) that block fluid transmission.
- support access to reproductive health clinics for people to be seen and treated when needed.
- identify local societal issues that cause increased STD and unwanted pregnancy numbers and address those issues(high teen pregnancy rate, low condom use in casual sex, high STD rate in certain demographic population, etc etc).
- educate children early on reproductive health, how to identify issues, how to prevent infection, etc. Part of the emotional health that needs to be taught is power dynamic manipulation and pressuring before someone is ready or pressuring someone to not use birth control.
This is all just biology- it isnt disgusting, it isnt grooming, and it isnt inappropriate to teach to kids. Kids can start learning this in elementary school, but if you start in 5th grade and continue with a class that is a few weeks long each year thru 10th grade, it can start out basic and go more in depth as the child matures both physically and emotionally. Removing shame and stigmas early on will help improve reproductive practices later.
- push for community wellness through local awareness campaigns. Making it known there is access to health clinics in an area will help. Making it known that birth control is easy to use and widely available will help.

None of this will fully eliminate STDs, unwanted pregnancy, or sexually abusive relationships. But it helps.
And once more- none of this has to do with the literal simple act of penetrative sex, which you two and more seem to be hung up on. I should be surprised that people dont find value in reproductive health class, but this is SPS so I am not. I should be surprised that people dont even understand what all is covered in reproductive health class, but this is SPS so I am not.

@Dawghouse - I am confident that even now as an adult, if you had to identify even 5 parts of a woman's vulva, you would fail. 'Those right there are the flappers!'
@BELdog - Studies show a direct connection between reproductive health class and increased understanding of sexual health practices, which include reduced STD occurrence, increased STD testing and treatment(to, you know, not spread it), and reduced unwanted pregnancy. Also, improved access to reproductive health clinics is crucial to reducing numbers in an area. It sucks that you think that isnt real.
I can show you a study that proves anything you want to believe. Education isn’t the problem. The problem is that a lot of these kids aren’t being parented. I never said that sex-ed was a terrible thing, but as a parent, I decide when my kid gets that education, not the state or federal government. You can’t educate the hormones out of teenagers. None of them are thinking with their brains when they get pregnant or get an STD in high school.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I can show you a study that proves anything you want to believe. Education isn’t the problem. The problem is that a lot of these kids aren’t being parented. I never said that sex-ed was a terrible thing, but as a parent, I decide when my kid gets that education, not the state or federal government. You can’t educate the hormones out of teenagers. None of them are thinking with their brains when they get pregnant or get an STD in high school.
Ill put the song on repeat, I guess.
- The issue is not just education. That is definitely part of the issue, even if you dont like it. But another part of the issue, a large part, is access to local reproductive health clinics. You know, so people have easy access to birth control, STD testing, medication, education, support, etc. This is especially true in areas where parents werent around to teach and support kids- having access to full service reproductive health clinics is crucial in reversing poor hygiene and improving safe sex practices.

As for the idea that you are a parent and get to decide when your kid gets that education, buckle up.
- In loco parentis is an English common law concept that means 'in place of a parent'. Schools are granted the ability to act in the best interest of students based on this doctrine, which not violating the student's rights(civil liberties, for example). This doctrine has come up many times thru the years in SCOTUS cases- one of the more well know is Tinker v DMPS. Anyways, this is why schools set curriculum. This is why schools teach Social-Emotional Learning(which really is just manners, patience, kindness, respect, valuing others, etc).
- Of course parents/community should have a say in what is taught in education. There seems to be a recent imbalance though, and some parents seem to think they should be fully involved in all decisions for their child. That isnt realistic and frankly its arrogant for someone to think they know best when it comes to how to best educate students of varying ages and emtional maturity.
School boards exist so the community can directly elect people who will represent the wants and needs of the community. That is how parents have a say in education. Well that, and also through meeting directly with teachers, building administration, etc.
- Reproductive health is just biology and practical life skill building. Seriously, thats all it is. Its 17ing biology, but you and others want to make it into this taboo private thing where shame is frequently introduced too. Its just biology- its just science. Its something that happens to everyone and can be introduced to kids at 10 with basic lessons and information. It isnt dirty to learn about, it isnt morally inappropriate to learn about, it is just biological and happens to everyone. Students learning basic reproductive hygiene skills helps keep them safe and healthy as teens and adults. Students learning how hormones work helps them understand and recognize changes in behavior for themselves and friends. It helps take some of the mystery out and replaces it with knowledge.

Sure- every school should have the permission slip that goes home to parents and asks them to sign if they want their kid to be pulled from reproductive health class. Parents can then choose to segregate their kid, have them sit in the library(without books in some states), and keep them ignorant to basic valuable information that helps reduce disease and improves relationships. Yup, that genuinely needs to continue and you can then opt your kid out and teach them at home about reproductive biology and health in what will likely be a significantly less effective way.

I have never said nor even suggested that hormones can be educated out of teens. Thats absurd to even type. None of this is about trying to educate hormones out of teens.
STDs affect more than just teens, that should be clear. Education needs to start early though. Early education and reinforced education plus support helps reduce all issues related to reproductive health.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Unfortunately, and to your point, SexEd would have to start at a very early age. I think that they are very directly exposed to sex way before they understand what it is, can mean, when it is inappropriate, the potential for life altering consequences, etc. Honestly, my high school SexEd class focused exclusively on the biology of it and spent no time on anIy other aspects.
I graduated in 1984 and our sex education class did not talk about STD's.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I graduated in 1984 and our sex education class did not talk about STD's.
They should show the kids the STD video they showed the Marines before their first liberty at Camp Lejeune.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Ill put the song on repeat, I guess.
- The issue is not just education. That is definitely part of the issue, even if you dont like it. But another part of the issue, a large part, is access to local reproductive health clinics. You know, so people have easy access to birth control, STD testing, medication, education, support, etc. This is especially true in areas where parents werent around to teach and support kids- having access to full service reproductive health clinics is crucial in reversing poor hygiene and improving safe sex practices.

As for the idea that you are a parent and get to decide when your kid gets that education, buckle up.
- In loco parentis is an English common law concept that means 'in place of a parent'. Schools are granted the ability to act in the best interest of students based on this doctrine, which not violating the student's rights(civil liberties, for example). This doctrine has come up many times thru the years in SCOTUS cases- one of the more well know is Tinker v DMPS. Anyways, this is why schools set curriculum. This is why schools teach Social-Emotional Learning(which really is just manners, patience, kindness, respect, valuing others, etc).
- Of course parents/community should have a say in what is taught in education. There seems to be a recent imbalance though, and some parents seem to think they should be fully involved in all decisions for their child. That isnt realistic and frankly its arrogant for someone to think they know best when it comes to how to best educate students of varying ages and emtional maturity.
School boards exist so the community can directly elect people who will represent the wants and needs of the community. That is how parents have a say in education. Well that, and also through meeting directly with teachers, building administration, etc.
- Reproductive health is just biology and practical life skill building. Seriously, thats all it is. Its 17ing biology, but you and others want to make it into this taboo private thing where shame is frequently introduced too. Its just biology- its just science. Its something that happens to everyone and can be introduced to kids at 10 with basic lessons and information. It isnt dirty to learn about, it isnt morally inappropriate to learn about, it is just biological and happens to everyone. Students learning basic reproductive hygiene skills helps keep them safe and healthy as teens and adults. Students learning how hormones work helps them understand and recognize changes in behavior for themselves and friends. It helps take some of the mystery out and replaces it with knowledge.

Sure- every school should have the permission slip that goes home to parents and asks them to sign if they want their kid to be pulled from reproductive health class. Parents can then choose to segregate their kid, have them sit in the library(without books in some states), and keep them ignorant to basic valuable information that helps reduce disease and improves relationships. Yup, that genuinely needs to continue and you can then opt your kid out and teach them at home about reproductive biology and health in what will likely be a significantly less effective way.

I have never said nor even suggested that hormones can be educated out of teens. Thats absurd to even type. None of this is about trying to educate hormones out of teens.
STDs affect more than just teens, that should be clear. Education needs to start early though. Early education and reinforced education plus support helps reduce all issues related to reproductive health.
tldr

didn’t i read crime rate dropped significantly in chicago when access to abortion was increased

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
tldr

didn’t i read crime rate dropped significantly in chicago when access to abortion was increased
No idea.
I'll be in chicago tonight and tomorrow though and will be sure to ask some locals for you.***

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
south side folks would give you the best info
Went to tours of Northwestern and University of Chicago, and the latter is in Hyde Park with scary bad houses in multiple directions.

Almost didn't make it out alive.***

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
They all know the risks before engaging therefore no classroom is gonna tell them anything new.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Went to tours of Northwestern and University of Chicago, and the latter is in Hyde Park with scary bad houses in multiple directions.

Almost didn't make it out alive.***
a lot don’t ….. really sad actually

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login