Jackson's Boil Water Notice lifted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
[FONT="]JUST IN: After more than a month-and-a-half without clean water, the Mississippi State Department of Health LIFTED Jackson's boil water notice that has been in place since July 29, Gov. Tate Reeves announced.https://t.co/WPHWR0cdU4— Ashton Pittman (@ashtonpittman) September 15, 2022 [/FONT]

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Once again, the adults must pick up the children’s toys. At some point in the near future, people with a brain will get tired of working (earning wasted money, (taxes)) for people without one.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Once again, the adults must pick up the children’s toys. At some point in the near future, people with a brain will get tired of working (earning wasted money, (taxes)) for people without one.
Let's not be hasty because this sounds a lot like...

https://smartasset.com/data-studies/states-most-dependent-on-the-federal-government-2022

https://www.moneygeek.com/living/states-most-reliant-federal-government/
- Eight of the 10 states most dependent on the federal government were Republican-voting, with the average red state receiving $1.35 per dollar spent.
- Nine states sent more to the federal government than they received — seven of these were Democrat-voting and had higher per capita GDPs than many of the red states that received the most.
- The eight states receiving the highest child tax credit per capita were all Republican-voting.

Mississippi is 3rd highest

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018

We are just barely a red state. That federal tax money goes to all of the blues that we have to support. They are quickly overtaking us. Thankfully, most of the reds in MS see the writing on the wall and are staunchly red. Otherwise, incompetence would rule, as it has in Jackson for the past 20 years. The end result is degradation of the city leading to no drinking water.

You who live in Iowa, have no clue.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Where do you think that money is going in the state of Mississippi?
https://mspolicy.org/mississippi-no-longer-the-state-most-reliant-on-federal-aid/
The recent analysis from The Pew Charitable Trusts reveals that, on average, nearly one third of state revenue came from the federal government in 2017, a near 50-year high. Federal grants helped states pay for healthcare, social services, education, transportation, and other infrastructure

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
We are just barely a red state. That federal tax money goes to all of the blues that we have to support. They are quickly overtaking us. Thankfully, most of the reds in MS see the writing on the wall and are staunchly red. Otherwise, incompetence would rule, as it has in Jackson for the past 20 years. The end result is degradation of the city leading to no drinking water.

Mississippi has not voted for a Democratic presidential candidate this century.
Mississippi has not had a Democratic senator since the 80s.
Mississippi has 1 Democrat out of its 4 US Representatives.
Mississippi has a state Senate that is 70% Republican and that party has held control for over a decade.
Mississippi has a state House that is 63% Republican and that party has held control for a decade.
Mississippi has had a Republican governor for 18 years now and a Republican was the governor for 27 of the last 31 years.

Representation at the state level has 180 flipped over the last 30 years with Republicans steadily holding more seats each election.

This doesn't even take into account the reality that conservative in MS is further right than avg and liberal in MS is further right than avg.

Yeah, it looks like the state is barely habging into its conservative identity based on the numbers above.***

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

MS will be the first majority African American state, that's probably 30 years or more away though. Democrats will make an impact in state wide elections before that, when adding in the small percent of white voters who vote democrat.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Mississippi has not voted for a Democratic presidential candidate this century.
Mississippi has not had a Democratic senator since the 80s.
Mississippi has 1 Democrat out of its 4 US Representatives.
Mississippi has a state Senate that is 70% Republican and that party has held control for over a decade.
Mississippi has a state House that is 63% Republican and that party has held control for a decade.
Mississippi has had a Republican governor for 18 years now and a Republican was the governor for 27 of the last 31 years.

Representation at the state level has 180 flipped over the last 30 years with Republicans steadily holding more seats each election.

This doesn't even take into account the reality that conservative in MS is further right than avg and liberal in MS is further right than avg.

Yeah, it looks like the state is barely habging into its conservative identity based on the numbers above.***

We’ve had thirty years of republican control (really less; the flip happened during Barbour’s tenure) after being in democrat control from the ends of reconstruction to then?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Democratic control included electing Theodore Bilbo who was in the KKK as well as Ross Barnett.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
We’ve had thirty years of republican control (really less; the flip happened during Barbour’s tenure) after being in democrat control from the ends of reconstruction to then?

1- anyone that took HS Modern US History is aware that the words 'Democrat' and 'Republican' changed meaning last century.
2- the claim I responded to was that Mississippi is 'just barely a red state'. Actual stats for the last 3 decades show otherwise.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You forgot one, Jackson has had a DEMOCRATIC mayor since at least 1949 (and a minority one for the last 25 years) and they apparently have done nothing to fix the infrastructure whether it be water, sewer or streets. The idiot in there now has been sitting around waiting for federal and state money (not federal or state help, but MONEY) while the whole time playing the "woe is me, I need a BILLION dollars to get water flowing" tune on his little violin. In the matter of a few weeks with competent help they are back to clean drinking water, even though veryone knows its not a permanent solution. This idiot in there now and his cronies just want to get their hands on the millions/billions and start doling it out to their crooked hand chosen contractors, engineering firms, architectural firms, attorneys, etc. Don't try to blame this on state, federal or Republican leaders. This isn't a state problem (or shouldn't be) or a federal problem (or shouldn't be) its a Jackson, MS leadership problem. They haven't even been able to send out a piece of paper to residents for over a decade that told them what they owed. How are you going to give out free water for a decade and maintain the system?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Let's not pretend that the biggest racists didn't start out pretty much all Democrat and over time, the script flipped. By "biggest" I mean Lincoln Republicans weren't necessarily "right" but the were more right than Dems of the day who wanted to hold onto slavery, who spawned Bilbo, Barnett and a whole bunch of other hateful and tragically flawed individuals.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
"blues we have to support". I don't want to shock you, so sit down. MS is a net drain on the federal economy. We are a welfare state. If you live here, on a daily basis, you take advantage of the federal government subsidy.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'm halfway tempted to do a Ballad of Jed Clampett song parody just to include the phrase "volleyball 'renas. wrasslin' stars."

But I'm stopping at this point because the one previous time I posted a song parody on this here forum many many years ago, it was rightfully deleted.

Yeah, it was terrible.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

This is 100% accurate.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
1- anyone that took HS Modern US History is aware that the words 'Democrat' and 'Republican' changed meaning last century.
2- the claim I responded to was that Mississippi is 'just barely a red state'. Actual stats for the last 3 decades show otherwise.

#1 is just not true. It's a false narrative. A greater % of Republicans than Democrats voted for JFKs 64 Civil Rights Act.

Southern Democrats tried to filibuster it and kill it. Later some Southern Democrats would change parties to stay elected as the people of the South became more tolerant but the Republican Party never changed. Even in my small town we had local officials flipping parties when the Great Ronald Reagan era began. They knew if people saw a D by their name they would lose.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
This whole state would be Jackson without federal money.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
That's false. Just wouldn't have AS MUCH infrastructure in general. 4-lane roads, etcs.

And without federal money, many of the poorer people likely would have moved on, in order to find work. The state would certainly be smaller.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If poorer people had mobility, they might move to greener pastures anyway. Did you notice who was hit hardest in Katrina? Poor people unable to leave on their own. I have no idea how many of those had an opportunity to get bussed out and declined it, but I do know this. Deciding to hop on a bus to live in a shelter indefinitely with no certainty about when/if you might be returned, might cause a person to stay with what they have and face the risks that come with it. These are choices that it is likely few on SPS have ever had to make.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If poorer people had mobility, they might move to greener pastures anyway. Did you notice who was hit hardest in Katrina? Poor people unable to leave on their own. I have no idea how many of those had an opportunity to get bussed out and declined it, but I do know this. Deciding to hop on a bus to live in a shelter indefinitely with no certainty about when/if you might be returned, might cause a person to stay with what they have and face the risks that come with it. These are choices that it is likely few on SPS have ever had to make.
A lot of people, rich and poor, made the decision to ride that storm out.

This is the United States of America. Everybody has the ability to go out and earn minimum wage for a while, make enough money for gas or a plane ticket and a few months rent, and go wherever they want. Let's not make this more difficult than it has to be.

Many poor Mississippians have moved to Atlanta, it's become a mecca for everyone all across the South. It really doesn't cost that much to get there. You just have to want to work.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You forgot one, Jackson has had a DEMOCRATIC mayor since at least 1949

No, I didnt forget one. You missed the entire point.

It was suggested that the blue city needs to get on board and shape up soon or the larger red state will stop paying for the smaller blue city.
So I pointed out that the red state feeds off the teet of the larger US government and is one of the biggest net moochers per person for federal assistance. This was to show that if the other poster wants to make such a claim, then perhaps the red state should also get on board and shape up soon or the larger US government will stop paying for the smaller red state.

It was a comparison to help show that red state which the poster wants to potentially stop supporting the smaller city is in the exact same situation at the federal level.
Hopefully this spelled out explanation helps show you what the point was and why I didnt forget to list the party affiliation of Jackson's mayor.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
#1 is just not true. It's a false narrative. A greater % of Republicans than Democrats voted for JFKs 64 Civil Rights Act.

Southern Democrats tried to filibuster it and kill it. Later some Southern Democrats would change parties to stay elected as the people of the South became more tolerant but the Republican Party never changed. Even in my small town we had local officials flipping parties when the Great Ronald Reagan era began. They knew if people saw a D by their name they would lose.

I say that Democrat and Republican terms flipped last century. There are countless textbooks, articles, discussions, etc which back this up.
But you say it isnt true.

Good luck changing the minds of all those historians and scholars who researched and documented reality.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Your perception of what it means to be poor in America is not in line with reality indicating that you have thankfully never been there, and unfortunately don't have much to do with poor people at all.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Your perception of what it means to be poor in America is not in line with reality indicating that you have thankfully never been there, and unfortunately don't have much to do with poor people at all.
Actually, you're dead wrong. I do not have to prove myself to you i.e. show you my qualifications (I will say it has more to do with immigrants and overseas than actual home-born Americans), but I can also say that there are solid reasons most are poor and there are plenty of ways to get out of it for most.

What you are trying to do here is disqualify my opinion.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Go volunteer at a local organization that helps the poor for a few year, get to know them and their circumstances and then come back and render an opinion on how easy it is to just get out of those situations. I'm not disqualifying your opinion, I'm telling you that it is not based in the reality of what I've personally seen working with inner city poor and homeless for nearly 2 decades.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Go volunteer at a local organization that helps the poor for a few year, get to know them and their circumstances and then come back and render an opinion on how easy it is to just get out of those situations. I'm not disqualifying your opinion, I'm telling you that it is not based in the reality of what I've personally seen working with inner city poor and homeless for nearly 2 decades.
It's not a lack of experience or reality, I'd say our mindsets are just different. If you are "working with....for 2 decades", I assume you're a professional in that field, and likely are more of a merciful-type person. I'm more of a hard numbers administrative type. In other words, you likely have more of a 'heart'.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I say that Democrat and Republican terms flipped last century. There are countless textbooks, articles, discussions, etc which back this up.
But you say it isnt true.

Good luck changing the minds of all those historians and scholars who researched and documented reality.

So, the party called Republican led by Abe Lincoln who emancipated the slaves and then almost 100 years later had 78% of their party vote in favor of the 64 Civil Rights act compared to 60% of the party called Democrat magically changed naming convention? I mean Nixon and Reagan weren't far behind the 64 Civil Rights act so were they really Democrats? Or were the 78% of Republicans who voted for the Civil Rights act really Democrats? Or maybe old Abe was really a Democrat? Dude, come on, don't you find the narrative pretty convenient? I bet you can't figure out when that "historical" narrative started??

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

Kudos for your service Horshack!

Limiting Beliefs are powerful Demons! I thank my mother every chance I get.

Len2003

May 13, 2018

Pretty much. Mississippi's economy would quickly collapse without the federal government to hold it up. There are a lot of people in Mississippi that have no perception of reality and can't fathom why no one wants to live in Mississippi. Because it's a welfare state with crumbling infrastructure.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Glfr , I have a proposal we should all get behind. Why not stop building subsidized housing in a welfare state like Ms and start building more housing in more prosperous states like Iowa and relocate the people who would have lived in them in Ms to Iowa. Better chance for employment, better education and less racism. Looks like a win win to me.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Pretty much. Mississippi's economy would quickly collapse without the federal government to hold it up. There are a lot of people in Mississippi that have no perception of reality and can't fathom why no one wants to live in Mississippi. Because it's a welfare state with crumbling infrastructure.
A big portion of the state is a large welfare area (and this includes Jackson), but there are many portions of the state that are doing just fine. Unfortunately people are stupid and label things by imaginary borders.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Groups from many other states come to Mississippi to help the poor but I've never heard of any group trying to initiate any effort to relocate some of Mississippi's poor from our horrible state to their wonderful state where they could have a better life.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Glfr , I have a proposal we should all get behind. Why not stop building subsidized housing in a welfare state like Ms and start building more housing in more prosperous states like Iowa and relocate the people who would have lived in them in Ms to Iowa. Better chance for employment, better education and less racism. Looks like a win win to me.
Reminds me a bit of this...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...nes/index.html
DeSantis said on Thursday, a day after claiming credit for sending the two planes to the island. "Every community in America should be sharing in the burdens. It shouldn't all fall on a handful of red states."

Immigrants and unestablished people settle here all the time. If more want to come, sure have at it. I am always surprised to see where some end up acoss the state. My county's ethnic/racial breakdown mirrors the US overall, but a lot of the state is obviously quite culturally homogeneous.
If funding can be secured for affordable housing here, it makes sense for a place to move to, if you want to move to a colder climate.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The gov't has helped perpetuate poverty in many areas of Mississippi by providing an endless stream of funds to build housing in areas where they know the inhabitants will NEVER find a job. If they really wanted to help these people they would relocate and house them in states where there was better employment and educational possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login