Jamion Lewis stays healthy....

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
We win it all in 2014.
We'd need more than that.

Add Eric Moulds, Glenn Young, Kevin Prentiss, Tony James, Reggie Kelly, Pork Chop Womack, Kent Hull, Charles Cross, Elgton Jenkins, Justin Griffith, Johnie Cooks, Barrin Simpson, Ray Costict, Fletcher Cox, Ellis Wyms, Fred Smoot, Darius Slay, Walt Harris, Robert Bean, Ashley Cooper, and Scott Westerfield to that team, and we should be able to win it.

Reactions: mcdawg22

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
2014 - missing an elite lineman and maybe an elite corner. If Dak doesn't throw those redzone INTs under pressure, or if we can stop that QB on 3rd and long just ONCE, we win that game and make the SEC ch'ip game and playoff. And that was one of the lesser Bama teams of the Saban era.

2018 - missing an elite WR (A.J. Brown essentially) and a whole coaching staff. That's quite a bit more.

2014 beats 2018. But if we get the things above, 2018 is better.

It's things like this that make you wonder about Miss State football.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
How about “maybe if we were actually a Top 10 team in 2014, we might could have won it all”.

One win for that team over an opponent that finished the season ranked in the Top 25. One. A very ordinary team outside of the generational talent at the QB position. A 5-8 slot WR was far from only the key ingredient that we were missing.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How about “maybe if we were actually a Top 10 team in 2014, we might could have won it all”.

One win for that team over an opponent that finished the season ranked in the Top 25. One. A very ordinary team outside of the generational talent at the QB position. A 5-8 slot WR was far from only the key ingredient that we were missing.
Yeah, I mean the fact that tOSU pulverized that Alabama team kinda showed that we wouldn’t have won it all no matter what.

Still would have been nice to maybe get an SEC title and a Heisman.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If Mullen had stayed one more year. Not saying we win the SEC championship, but I am pretty sure the *** holes who run the SEC would have been sweating some bullets over the prospects of a Miss State team winning it over their chosen few.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Funny thing is, years like 2000 and 2015 is when we probably had the best shot to make noise. We talked a lot about that even year schedule back in the day, but the odd year one is when we had LSU, Bama and Ole Miss at home. At least in 2015, not in 2000. 2000 is just a year when we brought back a ton of experienced, elite SEC talent.

2000 - lose on last second to an average SC team on road, lose on phantom holding at LSU, total meltdown at home vs shltty Arkansas, lose Egg Bowl (which wouldn’t have mattered had we won the rest) because Madkin is sick.

2015 - lose at home close to LSU on that dumb delay of game, lose at aTm due to turnovers. Get blown out at home to Bama and OM, but they were legit, and I think we fumbled early in each. Either way, this is the year where we were missing something. Give us one more OL and Josh Robinson (idiot), we are golden.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I know we didn’t beat the cream of the crop but every team in the Weet went to a bowl game. The three “top 10” teams that we beat lost to us OM and Bama. So that’s 3 losses. They beat each other for their 4th. They were all decent teams at 8-4

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think the 2010 team gets overlooked, but it was probably as good as either 2014 or 2018. It was a top maybe 7 team, but it shared a conference with 4 of the top 5 (Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, and LSU).

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I know we didn’t beat the cream of the crop but every team in the Weet went to a bowl game. The three “top 10” teams that we beat lost to us OM and Bama. So that’s 3 losses. They beat each other for their 4th. They were all decent teams at 8-4

You're right. Massey says we had 4 Top 25 wins.

But we were certainly not the best team in the country for many weeks, like the voting polls indicated.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login