Jans crew just outplayed a Shaka Smart team on defense

Oct 7, 2022
I’m all in on Jans
I had to leave the house. Kids bouncing around in front of the tv wanting many things from daddy as the game got tighter and tighter. Had to leave before I blew up. In my not so expert opinion state looked like the better team from the start.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
erection GIF

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Defense was phenomenal!

Offense looked weak, but Marquette is a great defensive team.

Yes, we had a few bad, selfish offensive posessions we ABSOLUTELY need to shoot better from the FT line, but this team is head and shoulders above anything Howland ever put on the floor.

MBB is back and we need to support it!!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I missed the game, but looking at the box score it sounds like we had a tough night shooting the ball but that's always a chance playing on a strange court. Sounds like we buckled down on defense to win the game... great.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
- Horrible ft shooting as a team. Just enough in the last minute to win, Thank God Tolu, Jeffries, or Moore weren't fouled for the last couple possessions.

- love the defensive intensity. A ton of active hands, active feet, lots of switching, and the help D was solid too.

- Moore had some brutal decisons in the last couple minutes. So much good play thru the game, but him trying to win it all a couple times almost cost the team.

- the longer haired freshman on Marquette, Jones, was a pest. The kid got after it and is so damn fast! Glad our guards were able to face that speed and intensity early on in the season as its a reminder of what's to come.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I missed the game, but looking at the box score it sounds like we had a tough night shooting the ball but that's always a chance playing on a strange court. Sounds like we buckled down on defense to win the game... great.

We couldn't make much at all around the basket. It's not like we missed a lot of 10 footers, we couldn't get layups and finger rolls and taps to go down. Frustrating as hell.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Shots are going to fall eventually. Love seeing the movement on offense despite the poor scoring.

Defense is going to win us a lot of games. Overall a vastly improved product and Jans has only had a short period of time. Finally feel optimistic about the direction we are heading.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
- Horrible ft shooting as a team. Just enough in the last minute to win, Thank God Tolu, Jeffries, or Moore weren't fouled for the last couple possessions.
Really surprised to not see the hack a Shaq in the final minutes, fouling one of our other players off ball. I'm certain we will see that this year. Probably Tolu.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Jeffries is no better than last year and Moore is worse. Get them off the court and we could be decent. Those two suck and have since day 1 last year.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Great win, and great effort, I actually enjoyed watching them play for once. I’m not sure why we lobbied for Jeffries to remain. That guy has. never been impressive.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Excellent effort in a hostile environment (easily 95% Marquette fans, didn't see ANY maroon in Florida) and biased refs/announcers. It was a homer fest listening to those announcers. Thought they were going to give some of their players BJs after the game with their worshipping/homer fest, ridiculous.
In terms of MSU, hopefully that effort made some fans realize that talent-wise, MSU is strong. We have personnel at all positions that can play at a high NCAA level. Guards Davis and Reed with double digit scoring (including vital 3s) stepped up since Tolu was doubled as expected.
Free throws are pathetic, along with some turnovers. Was an outstanding effort and signified that MSU is a NCAA team this season.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Here's the thing: This game was the type of grit that is more of the standard that we expect from MBK, which for the past several years has turned out to be the exception and not the rule.

I like the energy so far and we're off to a great start. The season is always a marathon, not a sprint, but I'll take 5-0 with wins on a neutral floor any year

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Excellent effort in a hostile environment (easily 95% Marquette fans, didn't see ANY maroon in Florida) and biased refs/announcers. It was a homer fest listening to those announcers. Thought they were going to give some of their players BJs after the game with their worshipping/homer fest, ridiculous.

They continually praised Tolu thru the whole game- his size, his passing, his decision making when doubleteamed, his defensive effort, and his rebounding.
They gushed on Moore's defensive intensity, ball handling, and efforts(also criticized his decision making at the end of the game).
They praised Jeffries.
They continually complimented Jans and said he is going to be great.
Hamilton?- talked about him well and talked about Tang.
Reed JR? Talked well of him at the line and effort.
McNair? Talked great about him multiple times.
Matthews? Couldnt stop praising his court vision and effort on D.

As a team the announcers were impressed with how hard MSU played on defense and how well they communicated. I know this because they talked about it over and over for 2 hours.
Funny that you think Raftery is a Marquette homer- the guy has been calling games longer than most of us have been alive and is beloved by most.

I am really not sure how much more you expect them to talk well of MSU and its players in just one game.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Defense was phenomenal!

Offense looked weak, but Marquette is a great defensive team.

Yes, we had a few bad, selfish offensive posessions we ABSOLUTELY need to shoot better from the FT line, but this team is head and shoulders above anything Howland ever put on the floor.

MBB is back and we need to support it!!

I don't think the offense looked weak, especially for early in the season with a new coach. The shooting was ******. Certainly had some possessions we didn't get anything going, but Marquette is a good defensive team and we had a lot of good possessions where we moved the ball with a purpose and got a decent shot and just couldn't make it. I was really impressed at times with us trying to feed Tolu. It's been too rare that you've been able to watch us on offense and be able to tell what we're trying to do and have all the players working as a team to do it. It's so much easier to get your post player points when he doesn't have to fight to the ball every time and he can stay in the current position and know that he team mates will actually move the ball to make his current position the right one.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
That's our first big quality win over a solid team. I really didn't expect us to win it beforehand. As far as Utah goes, know nothing about them. They have a real tall guy who didn't do a whole lot, but the announcers said he had an off game and that he is much better than he showed vs GaTech. I say Tolu should go right at him.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login