Jans on Tolu coming back...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

Q: What is Tolu Smith‘s next step when it pertains to returning to the court?
Jans
: He has a scan scheduled for Thursday so the day after our next game he will have a scan. At that point I will know a lot more in terms of when he will transition back to practice. But I think in the next couple of days he will be doing some 5 on 0 things for us in the halfcourt, for sure, then maybe even in the full court. But he still won’t be allowed to have any contact or anything like that. But he’s been shooting on his own and getting some free throws in, some jump shots and stuff around the basket, just 1 on 0. So we’re hoping, fingers crossed, that we get a good update on Thursday and I will know more then.

Q: How do you think Tolu has attacked his rehab and responded to his rehab?
Jans
: Unfortunately for his sake, he has a lot of experience in this matter. SO he knows what it takes and most of us in this room know him fairly well. He’s been around and everybody talks about his work ethic. It is the same from what I’ve seen going through this injury situation with him.

The first 48 hours, that was rough. He was pretty down. It took a big toil on him mentally and the surgery, etc. But ever since then he’s had an unbelievable mindset. There’s a couple of times, like game day, he gets a little down because he is ready to play. He can feel the energy and the vibe. You work, work, work and then on game day you can’t go out there and perform. Those are the only days I’ve seen where it bothers him. But other than that, he is a model student-athlete in terms of his appointments and rehab, and his willingness to come in over and over daily and work with our trainer, who has done an excellent job with all of our players.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
January 13th vs Bama would be my guess as to when we’ll see him playing again.

Hopefully sooner though.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I might have missed this and if so please humor me. Do we know any details about his injury? What it was? How it happened? What his surgery was?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I might have missed this and if so please humor me. Do we know any details about his injury? What it was? How it happened? What his surgery was?

The most I've seen is that it was a foot injury sustained in preseason practice and he has had surgery.

Assume he would have to ok giving more details.

I think he had a stress fracture issue in one of his feet in the past.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
I hope they give him a tune up game against Bethune before conference play starts. That would give him 2 more weeks to integrate back into contact in practices I think. Assuming everything looks good on this scan Thursday

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Q: What is Tolu Smith‘s next step when it pertains to returning to the court?
Jans
: He has a scan scheduled for Thursday so the day after our next game he will have a scan. At that point I will know a lot more in terms of when he will transition back to practice. But I think in the next couple of days he will be doing some 5 on 0 things for us in the halfcourt, for sure, then maybe even in the full court. But he still won’t be allowed to have any contact or anything like that. But he’s been shooting on his own and getting some free throws in, some jump shots and stuff around the basket, just 1 on 0. So we’re hoping, fingers crossed, that we get a good update on Thursday and I will know more then.
58.8% from the line last season.
Hopefully he is maximizing time on what he is allowed to do...which is stand there and practice FTs.

The guy is a blast to watch- a foot injury/fracture is so frustrating because you lose cardio conditioning and they take really long to heal.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login