Jeff Lebby interview with Andy Staples...

patdog

May 28, 2007
The honeymoon period is now but he is saying the right things.
Like all coaches, he just has to win. Doesn’t matter what he says. Croom & Moorhead both talked a great game at this point in their MSU career. That said we have to be realistic in expectations for this fall. 6 wins would be a good season. The talent level is as low as it’s been since the Croom days.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Accompanying articles...

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
“If there’s one thing that Jeffy Lebby made clear he’s not interested in hearing from recruits about it’s NIL.

“Obviously, the guys that lead with the NIL piece and are trying to dig in on that part of it are not our kind of guys, and that’s the reality of it. I understand that’s a huge part of where we’re at from a college football scene, but for us, we want guys that are about the right thing,” Lebby said.”

I am interested to see how this strategy works out for us.

patdog

May 28, 2007
“If there’s one thing that Jeffy Lebby made clear he’s not interested in hearing from recruits about it’s NIL.

“Obviously, the guys that lead with the NIL piece and are trying to dig in on that part of it are not our kind of guys, and that’s the reality of it. I understand that’s a huge part of where we’re at from a college football scene, but for us, we want guys that are about the right thing,” Lebby said.”

I think Lebby is absolutely right. Of course we’ve got to be competitive in the NIL game to sign good players. But if NIL is the first thing out of his mouth, that’s probably not a player we need to waste much time on.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Hopefully, he's just spouting off about that part (like many coaches). If we are not balls deep into a detailed, long range collective plan (and I doubt we are), then we'll become Vandy. We don't have to spend like TAMU, but we need to get to a point where we are spending 75% of the mid tier SEC teams. If they are spending $2mil a year, then we need to send $1.5mil. I'm concerned that our fundraising and partnerships are not very robust (at least not at this point). It's not that much about NIL, it's about collectives. Charlie seems like a great guy, hopefully he's slick enough and aggressive enough to be the best leader of our collective.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: AROB44 and patdog

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
If I don’t read any bad local stories about Lebbys pickup truck and I don’t see a lot of posts saying “Lebby just gets it”, then he might do alright.

• Haha
Reactions: ChinaDawgSunflower

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I think Lebby is absolutely right. Of course we’ve got to be competitive in the NIL game to sign good players. But if NIL is the first thing out of his mouth, that’s probably not a player we need to waste much time on.
Your naivete is showing. If he can talk the talk then he probably can walk the walk. Just send the kid over to Bama, they are having a natty drought. This is today's reality.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Your naivete is showing. If he can talk the talk then he probably can walk the walk. Just send the kid over to Bama, they are having a natty drought. This is today's reality.
More like yours is showing. We’re not going to outrecruit the elites for players they really want. But you want to waste time & resources trying.

Reactions: oldjoedawg

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
More like yours is showing. We’re not going to outrecruit the elites for players they really want. But you want to waste time & resources trying.
No, what I was saying was don't show the kid the front door just because he wants his share of the money grab. Of course, we can't beat the elites but we can entertain a future Dak who can be both loyal and looking out for himself and family then we need to be going forward with our eyes open not closed.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login