Jerod Mayo to replace Belichick at NE

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Anybody else surprised by this? He’s only been out of the league as a player for 8 years, only been a coach for 5, and never held a coordinator position. Now, he’s the head coach of the second most valuable franchise in the NFL.

Is Robert Kraft thinking of him as a true successor to BB or is he the sacrificial lamb that follows the legend for a few seasons until the team gets “their guy”?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'd guess more of a placeholder. Plus their division is gonna be tough for a few years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He may wind up being the sacrificial lamb that gives a buffer between the most successful coach ever & their next coach. But he damn sure isn’t being hired to be that. That organization has made a lot of strange decisions dating back to letting Brady leave. Really even a couple years before then.

Reactions: Dawgg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
He may wind up being the sacrificial lamb that gives a buffer between the most successful coach ever & their next coach. But he damn sure isn’t being hired to be that. That organization has made a lot of strange decisions dating back to letting Brady leave. Really even a couple years before then.
All True.

But they've also done a good job of hiring head coaches:

Bill Parcells
Pete Carroll
Bill Belichick

Reactions: HRMSU

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Anybody else surprised by this? He’s only been out of the league as a player for 8 years, only been a coach for 5, and never held a coordinator position. Now, he’s the head coach of the second most valuable franchise in the NFL.

Is Robert Kraft thinking of him as a true successor to BB or is he the sacrificial lamb that follows the legend for a few seasons until the team gets “their guy”?
Who?

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Can someone clear this up for me. I was watching Dan Patrick and someone calls in and asks why doesn't NE have to follow the Rooney Rule and interview minority candidates. Dan's crew did some looking and the NFL put out a statement that it was already in Mayo's contract to become head coach after Bill so no interviews necessary.

My initial thought after the question was "Isn't Mayo black?". So I ask does the Rooney Rule require you do more interviews even if you choose to hire a minority candidate?

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Can someone clear this up for me. I was watching Dan Patrick and someone calls in and asks why doesn't NE have to follow the Rooney Rule and interview minority candidates. Dan's crew did some looking and the NFL put out a statement that it was already in Mayo's contract to become head coach after Bill so no interviews necessary.

My initial thought after the question was "Isn't Mayo black?". So I ask does the Rooney Rule require you do more interviews even if you choose to hire a minority candidate?
Roger Goodell is looking to take away the Patriots entire draft for not interviewing a white coach, violating the Rooney Rule.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

BR2Madison

Dec 20, 2013

Anybody else surprised??? uh yeah. You dont replace a guy like Bill B with a guy who has never been a head coach before. This just screams stupid.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I wish him luck and I suppose a successful black coach would be a good thing but I also am skeptical of a 4 year inside linebacker coach being a good head coach. Maybe he will be the next Mike Tomlin. A very good coach who happens to be black.

Reactions: HRMSU

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I wish him luck and I suppose a successful black coach would be a good thing but I also am skeptical of a 4 year inside linebacker coach being a good head coach. Maybe he will be the next Mike Tomlin. A very good coach who happens to be black.
I'm so tired of color defining a coach both good or bad stereotypes. I "get it" I'm a white privileged dude so I should be quiet, but some of these coaches coming up are freakin awesome! Give me a leader of men and I'd don't give a S if they are green, orange, blue, black, white or green!!

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm so tired of color defining a coach both good or bad stereotypes. I "get it" I'm a white privileged dude so I should be quiet, but some of these coaches coming up are freakin awesome! Give me a leader of men and I'd don't give a S if they are green, orange, blue, black, white or green!!
My point exactly. If you win in the NFL I think you would be a hot commodity regardless. If you lose owners will avoid hiring you. But they are pushing all this DEI business. I don't see this hire as merit based I guess is my point. But as someone stated Kraft mayo sells

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login