Jerry West has passed away.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Few things about Jerry West:
1. I know it was quasi-controversial, but I loved the portrayal of him in Winning Time. He might have been my favorite character in that whole show.

2. One of the all time greats.

3. I got a Jerry West-signed Memphis Grizzlies basketball at an estate sale for $1 a couple of years ago. It was so random because it was in east Dallas. I had to search for his signature to see if it matched up or if I was imagining things.

4. Speaking of his time at the Grizzlies, years after it happened, there was a story that Kobe was unhappy being with the Lakers at one point and reached out to Jerry West, who was in the front office at the Grizzlies at the time. Jerry told Kobe to stay in LA and not come to Memphis because it would be bad for his career. It was one of those times when I could feel my Mississippi State fandom overlay into my Memphis Grizzlies fandom. Like... I'm pissed we had a shot at Kobe and didn't get him, but I also recognize the Grizz wouldn't have even been in the mix without Jerry West.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Few things about Jerry West:
1. I know it was quasi-controversial, but I loved the portrayal of him in Winning Time. He might have been my favorite character in that whole show.

2. One of the all time greats.

3. I got a Jerry West-signed Memphis Grizzlies basketball at an estate sale for $1 a couple of years ago. It was so random because it was in east Dallas. I had to search for his signature to see if it matched up or if I was imagining things.

4. Speaking of his time at the Grizzlies, years after it happened, there was a story that Kobe was unhappy being with the Lakers at one point and reached out to Jerry West, who was in the front office at the Grizzlies at the time. Jerry told Kobe to stay in LA and not come to Memphis because it would be bad for his career. It was one of those times when I could feel my Mississippi State fandom overlay into my Memphis Grizzlies fandom. Like... I'm pissed we had a shot at Kobe and didn't get him, but I also recognize the Grizz wouldn't have even been in the mix without Jerry West.
What a great general manager. Good grief. Although I doubt Kobe would’ve ever come to Memphis when it came down to it.

Reactions: Dawgg

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
"I am so deeply saddened at the news of Jerry's passing," Jordan said in a statement. "He was truly a friend and a mentor. Like an older brother to me. I valued his friendship and knowledge. I always wished I could've played against him as a competitor, but the more I came to know him, I wish I had been his teammate. I admired his basketball insights, and he and I shared many similarities to how we approached the game. He will be forever missed. My condolences to his wife Karen and his sons. Rest in peace, Logo." - Michael Jordan

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login