Jessicka Carter announces why she is not on basketball team……..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
On an instagram post, she said that in July, she tried twice to kill herself.

i hate this for her. Mental health issues are downright awful.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Seeing more athletes coming forward to say they have struggled with mental health/suicide. AJ Brown and Calvin Ridley recently. Very brave of them to tell about their struggles but also to hopefully encourage those who think suicide is a choice to not go through with it.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Yeah, no doubt. Can’t be a bad thing. Dak spoke out too.

Seems like a good trend.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Yeah, no doubt. Can’t be a bad thing. Dak spoke out too.

Seems like a good trend.

Honestly, a lot of people had such problems during the lockdown. I can't fathom how an athlete who is used to going to workouts and training every day coped with suddenly having to hide inside.

My heart goes out to her and the rest. It was hard enough for an old fat man. I just can't comprehend for someone like a college athlete. I hope Dak gave others hope and courage and 17 the talking head who said Dak shouldn't have said anything since he is the QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I believe the first attempt was in July and she tried again in November. Sounds like she is getting better care this time.

Depression is a hell of a thing. This is a girl who is obviously loved by many just looking at the Instagram comments, but she saw this as the only option.

I wish her the very best.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
The lockdown along with the media pushing fear and being hyperbolic regarding social issues made for a tough recipe for many to deal with the last 2 years. It was the perfect recipe of negativity & control.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Prayers for Jessicka. She is a great basketball player and a true Maroon Bulldog. God bless her and I hope she gets her depression under control. This is a tough time for folks that suffer from depression.

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
It’s a hell of thing when the part of your body responsible for keeping you alive is also trying to kill you.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not sure why you're getting downvotes, because you couldn't be more right.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not sure why you're getting downvotes, because you couldn't be more right.

I'm not either. Are there people here who really think the media isn't bad for mental health? Who think that being isolated by lockdowns isn't bad for mental health?

If you believe the media was in the rough vicinity of representing real life, you would pretty much have to be some combination of terrified/depressed.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
We literally locked people in their homes, eliminated natural human interaction, made people scared to breath air, fed them constant fear on the news, and played civil unrest on a loop on tv. I fail to see who doesn’t think that’s a bad recipe for mental health. Jessica is not alone in her struggles and I think her opening up about it is a great sign that’s she’s getting better.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That’s terrible. It’s great she is getting help she needs but that’s is a constant struggle. There is not enough emphasis out on mental health. It’s getting better but it’s still not something that is readily available especially long term for the people who need it long term. I’ve seen too many people released either because of insurance or they can’t afford it or they just don’t have the support system to help them keep up with it. Hope she sticks with it and keeps a close group of real friends to help her because that’s what it takes.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Damn bro your pandemic sounds way worse than mine. Hope you escape North Korea soon.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
I wasn’t trying to have a covid debate. Just acknowledging the external factors of the last 2 years that have had a huge impact on mental health in the world. It’s been well documented of these issues on the rise so I’m not sure why it’s controversial. Jessica’s story should remind us to rally around those within our communities who need help.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
The lockdown along with the media pushing fear and being hyperbolic regarding social issues made for a tough recipe for many to deal with the last 2 years. It was the perfect recipe of negativity & control.

A lot of downvotes for this but it's true to some degree . Lockdowns, media negativity bias and social media nonsense where a single, brief video somehow defines reality in America have contributed to anxiety issues. Social media causes lots of emotional issues for young girls especially (see Twenge, Haidt). I wonder if those who spread fear and panic, rather than an appropriate level of concern, ever think about the consequences of doing so. We're social creatures and we need interaction with others and not online. (I'm vaxxed and boosted, btw, so don't throw me in with the QAnon peeps.)

I hope she's able to work through her difficulties and find peace, happiness, stability and success in life.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Obviously none of us know her life, but on top of all the obvious issues, she also lost a coaching staff that recruited and cared for her and a number of teammates. Just a whole lot going on in a young life. Really hope she can get some clear perspective. So talented and a whole lot to live for.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I typically don't care about downvotes but I'm curious if any downvoters have a legitimate disagreement with what I wrote, and not what they might imagine I wrote, whether something I wrote is factually incorrect or misleading or inappropriate or whether they're just ignorant and poorly read on this issue (anxiety and suicide rates in America). I'd like to see comments and corrections. Enlighten me.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I typically don't care about downvotes but I'm curious if any downvoters have a legitimate disagreement with what I wrote, and not what they might imagine I wrote, whether something I wrote is factually incorrect or misleading or inappropriate or whether they're just ignorant and poorly read on this issue (anxiety and suicide rates in America). I'd like to see comments and corrections. Enlighten me.

Or maybe we could just not do this in this particular thread (and No, I didn't downvote you).

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
That would be the external factors. You’re probably right that they had no effect on anyone**

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You're never going to get this. Generally, in this country, one side is about logic, the other is about emotion - on generally every issue. If you find yourself on the logical side, you have to realize you can't talk logic with an emotional person - you simply must ignore them and not allow them to compromise your stance. Bob and weave, let them punch themselves out. You must handle emotional people very delicately, but deliberately. The more you can create space, the better.

In the end, logic will win out, as long as the logical person does dive into the emotion.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Or maybe we could just not do this in this particular thread (and No, I didn't downvote you).

This right here^

We’re talking about a Bulldog basketball player opening up about her mental illness, depression, suicide attempts, and road to recovery and it somehow became another referendum on Covid, the government, and personal freedoms. Whether somebody is wrong or right doesn’t matter. It’s in poor taste and this topic should never have gone down that rabbit hole.

It’s akin to Walter railing about Vietnam while they’re memorializing Donny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login