Jimbo Fisher and the price of oil...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The scary (and funny) thing is that this... is... plausible?

[FONT="]When people complain about the oil business slowing production to inflate prices the real driver isnâ??t greed, itâ??s Jimbo Fisherâ??s contract https://t.co/pmmRbkHrES— Bunkie Perkins (@BunkiePerkins) September 14, 2022 [/FONT]

patdog

May 28, 2007
Jimbo has earned that contract maybe once in the last 8 years. And you could make a strong case that he didn’t earn that much even then.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I think Jimbo is really good coach. I expect their last signing class to at least compete for the CFPlayoff eventually.

That said, it's pretty clear to me that Jimbo's system is much tougher than it should be on quarterbacks. When he's got an experienced guy behind center, the sky is the limit. The problem is when they do not, the floor is very low. I don't think it's a talent issue at the position either. We just don't see that same volatility out of the programs A&M is currently chasing.

Someone mentioned they only had 2 offensive snaps in App State territory last weekend. Can you imagine Ohio State or Alabama not being able to cross midfield against a SunBelt team? Their QB was 13-20 for 97 yards with 0 TDs. I think their system can be too confusing at times and that's the result. Last year when we played them it was similar (12 - 20, 135 yards, 1 TD, 1 int).

patdog

May 28, 2007
Last 8 years, he's 60-27 and has lost at least 3 games every year but the Covid year. Really every other year at A&M has been exactly what got Sumlin fired except for the Covid year.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It makes me puke to know whose hand is on Jimbo's shoulder in that picture... It's not Ross's, his is inside Jimbo's waistband while he's gettin that stankfinger.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
There are 65 billionaires and 650K millionaires in Texas. They can handle it.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I think Jimbo is really good coach. I expect their last signing class to at least compete for the CFPlayoff eventually.

That said, it's pretty clear to me that Jimbo's system is much tougher than it should be on quarterbacks. When he's got an experienced guy behind center, the sky is the limit. The problem is when they do not, the floor is very low. I don't think it's a talent issue at the position either. We just don't see that same volatility out of the programs A&M is currently chasing.

Someone mentioned they only had 2 offensive snaps in App State territory last weekend. Can you imagine Ohio State or Alabama not being able to cross midfield against a SunBelt team? Their QB was 13-20 for 97 yards with 0 TDs. I think their system can be too confusing at times and that's the result. Last year when we played them it was similar (12 - 20, 135 yards, 1 TD, 1 int).

For a minute, I thought I was reading a Six Pack post about Croom's offense circa 2008.

Feb 23, 2008
Lucky for us, he's just not a good head coach. A rich man's Ed O basically.

Similarities are there. 1 national title. Took advantage of a weak ACC when Miami was almost a joke for a decade. I think the best comparison is his record at A&M and being a part of the SEC. Ed O's record at LSU was 51-20. Jimbo's record at A&M is 35-15.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I thought Jimbo was a really good but not elite coach. Now I'm thinking he may not even be really good. Left FSU in the ******* and now in year whatever with the advantage of the portal and A&M money and he still fields an offense that can't move the ball against App St.??? Is he the poor man's Les Miles?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
2012 - Orange Bowl
2013 - Rose Bowl (National Championship)
2014 - Rose Bowl (CFB Appearance)
2015 - Peach Bowl
2016 - Orange Bowl
2020 - Orange Bowl

Plus, 2020 might be the best season in A&M history.

That's some serious paint. I would think he's on pace to end up in the CFB Hall of Fame.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I keep hearing this, but yet Famous Jameis was smart enough to master this system as a Redshirt Freshman?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Similarities are there. 1 national title. Took advantage of a weak ACC when Miami was almost a joke for a decade. I think the best comparison is his record at A&M and being a part of the SEC. Ed O's record at LSU was 51-20. Jimbo's record at A&M is 35-15.
That's silly. The guy is a good, fundamental coach, same as Mullen, Saban, and others who either lean offense or defense but don't have a 'system'. He will go as far as his talent will take him. Saban is good at that, so he dominates. Mullen wasn't as good, so he didn't. I think Jimbo is in the middle of those guys.

Orgeron was a CEO/recruiter, similar to Dabo. These guys generally aren't great fundamental coaches. More talkers and face guys.

Feb 23, 2008
Come on Goat you're smarter than this. If he will go as far as his talent will take him, then how does one look at his last 5 recruiting classes which were ranked # 1,8,6,4,and 13 respectively and diagnose why this isn't a top 10 team year in and year out?

patdog

May 28, 2007
2012-2014 is no question some serious dominance, albeit in a very weak pre-Clemson resurgence ACC. What he's done since is for the most part pretty good (although he has to get a lot of blame for the shoddy condition he left FSU in), but nowhere near worth what he's being paid.

Last edited:

tired

Sep 16, 2013

Winston was able to master the O. Those qb’s are Jimbo’s recruits. You’re making excuses for him. He’s just not a great coach. He doesn’t seem motivated much either. I guess a fully guaranteed $100 million contract can do that.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
2012-2014 is no question some serious dominance, albeit in a very weak pre-Clemson resurgence ACC. What he's done since is for the most part pretty good (although he has to get a lot of blame for the shoddy condition he left FSU in), but nowhere near worth what he's being paid.
They can thank LSU for having to pay him all that money. For whatever reason, they are absolutely obsessed with the guy and are continuously trying to hire him. I mean yeah he's a good coach but there are others.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Come on Goat you're smarter than this. If he will go as far as his talent will take him, then how does one look at his last 5 recruiting classes which were ranked # 1,8,6,4,and 13 respectively and diagnose why this isn't a top 10 team year in and year out?
My personal opinion is that TX talent is generally overrated. Kids are generally maxed out when they come out of high school due to the level of coaching they do out there. And...they play a lot of soft football, pitch and catch. aTm has always recruited well rankings-wise, but their classes were 90+% TX kids. Same with Texas.

If you notice the 2022 class - he went out and signed some elite DL guys from outside of TX. That's the difference in the previous classes.

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
Gene Chizik and Ed O won championships with Heisman QBs, tore down the program, and will never be HCs in the power 5 again. Jimbo had a Heisman QB and won a championship, left FSU as a pile of ****, and got over 100 million guaranteed.

Obviously he's is a better coach then those two but why does he get so much credit? He has been at A&M for 4 years and has the second worst offense and QB room in the west. Mike Leach with nowhere near the amount of resources has installed the air raid turned over our personnel to run it. Sam Pitman took over a dumpster fire and with less time and money has passed A&M.

How in the era of the transfer portal and NIL can a school with unlimited money trot out Haynes King at QB?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login