Joe judge

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
No kidding. I’m amazed he was seen as the best candidate…

and it was his to decline. Only time will tell if I Leach truly turns out to be a good hire, but I think we dodged the bullet on that one. Someone send John Mara an Edam cheese ball when they get the supply chain kinks ironed out.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Unfortunately, his personality isn't that of a modern head coach. He'll always be a great assistant or better yet a quality control coach for a team.

You can't act like Belichek without having the Belichek's cache. Same as Saban.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
and it was his to decline. Only time will tell if I Leach truly turns out to be a good hire, but I think we dodged the bullet on that one. Someone send John Mara an Edam cheese ball when they get the supply chain kinks ironed out.

I still feel like reaching for Joe Judge after the Moorhead debacle was a borderline fireable offense for Cohen. Cohen could have played it safe and hired a power spread coach and we could have made a NY6 bowl in 2018. He felt like we had to do something different to have a higher ceiling, and that's fine, once. He took a gamble and it didn't pay off. But he really needed to stay in the box after that. It's like he had to do something unorthodox to prove how smart he is.

Mike Leach was plenty outside of the box. Hiring a special teams coach for his first head coaching job was something he just didn't have the credibility to justify trying.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I still feel like reaching for Joe Judge after the Moorhead debacle was a borderline fireable offense for Cohen. Cohen could have played it safe and hired a power spread coach and we could have made a NY6 bowl in 2018. He felt like we had to do something different to have a higher ceiling, and that's fine, once. He took a gamble and it didn't pay off. But he really needed to stay in the box after that. It's like he had to do something unorthodox to prove how smart he is.

Mike Leach was plenty outside of the box. Hiring a special teams coach for his first head coaching job was something he just didn't have the credibility to justify trying.
Cohen gets wooed by 'recruiters'. That's why he seriously considered Jeremy Pruitt 2 years before. And honestly, that works for blue bloods, and that's why it works for our baseball program. And it may work for football, but I doubt it. Obviously Judge would have been a CEO type coach, and who knows if he'd have been a good recruiter, but that was the thought.

Ultimately, he had it in his mind that he wanted a guy who could develop the pass game, but he got sucked down the recruiting hole. Not excusing it, but just saying that's what happened. Maybe he was pissed about how poorly Sloppy did with the 'system' offense, but he ultimately got lucky that Judge turned him down and we landed on the Pirate, no doubt.

Me personally? I wish he'd abandoned both of those avenues and continued to do what Mullen did, like you said. But now in hindsight, I'm kinda glad we went with this pass game experiment, as we all are. We will see how it ends. I'm pretty sure we'll all get sick of 6-6 to 8-4 with the Air Raid, if that's our ceiling.

Last edited:

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Its hard to put the Giants results on him, they are a trainwreck of an organization and have been for a while.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Its hard to put the Giants results on him, they are a trainwreck of an organization and have been for a while.

Yes, which is why they hired Joe Judge.

Judge is probably a really good special teams/position coach. He was not ready for an HC position in the NFL. You can bet the organization just wanted someone they could manipulate.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
If he wants to save his job he will fire Jason Garrett immediately. When the announcers spend the whole game making comments like:

“That’s just a bad play design”
“Not sure what they’re trying to do with that play call”
“They need to get more creative with their schemes”

It’s probably not a good sign for your offense. Jones is 17’n horrible as well.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
The Giants are playing much better this year even though they are 3-7. I wouldn't judge Judge just yet.

Having said that, I'm glad we have Leach and not Judge as our HC.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
If he wants to save his job he will fire Jason Garrett immediately. When the announcers spend the whole game making comments like:

“That’s just a bad play design”
“Not sure what they’re trying to do with that play call”
“They need to get more creative with their schemes”

It’s probably not a good sign for your offense. Jones is 17’n horrible as well.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants have fired offensive coordinator Jason Garrett after less than two years on the job, the team announced Tuesday.
The move comes as a result of continuing offensive struggles for the Giants (3-7) following their 30-10 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Monday Night Football.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Judge might have been good. Who knows ? He would not have us looking at 8 and 4 or 9 and 5 in year two. And I seriously doubt we are gonna be getting sick of the 6and 6 to 8 and 4 years with Leach. I doubt there will be any 6 and 6 years.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Cohen gets wooed by 'recruiters'. That's why he seriously considered Jeremy Pruitt 2 years before. And honestly, that works for blue bloods, and that's why it works for our baseball program. And it may work for football, but I doubt it. Obviously Judge would have been a CEO type coach, and who knows if he'd have been a good recruiter, but that was the thought.

Ultimately, he had it in his mind that he wanted a guy who could develop the pass game, but he got sucked down the recruiting hole. Not excusing it, but just saying that's what happened. Maybe he was pissed about how poorly Sloppy did with the 'system' offense, but he ultimately got lucky that Judge turned him down and we landed on the Pirate, no doubt.

Me personally? I wish he'd abandoned both of those avenues and continued to do what Mullen did, like you said. But now in hindsight, I'm kinda glad we went with this pass game experiment, as we all are. We will see how it ends. I'm pretty sure we'll all get sick of 6-6 to 8-4 with the Air Raid, if that's our ceiling.

He gets wooed by recruiters, so he allegedly tried to hire a guy who had literally NEVER recruited (Judge), then hired a guy in Leach who had never been a Top 25 recruiter? Okay……

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Cohen doesn’t get the autonomy to make that call on his own. Boosters and money guys have to be largely on board with any hire….but especially one as risky as Judge would have been.

All that being said, sometimes AD’s get lucky. Mal Moore was going to hire Rich 17ing Rodriguez until he turned them down after initially accepting the job. He would have been rode out of town on a rail within 2 years for that move, especially after the DuBose / Frachione / Price / Shula debacles. Instead, he landed Saban and is regarded as the greatest Alabama AD of all time.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
He gets wooed by recruiters, so he allegedly tried to hire a guy who had literally NEVER recruited (Judge), then hired a guy in Leach who had never been a Top 25 recruiter? Okay……
You are the damned Dan Mullen of message board posters. Just an overall jackass with no attempt at couth. And you missed literally every point in my post. I'll try and simplify it for your angry ***:

1) Cohen's preferred blueprint is a passing offense, but he is enamored with recruiting, so he also interviewed some of those types, in both searches;
2) Judge was absolutely meant to be a CEO coach and concentrate on recruiting, and Cohen obviously picked up on something that made him believe he would be successful at it, and it makes sense - NFL coach, former QB at the school from out of state, etc.

To review: Sloppy and Leach - guys that would develop the passing game; Hayseed and Judge - guys that would recruit.

Hope that clears it up for you, Francis.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login