John Cohen's Hail Mary Hire is Just Not the Answer

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
I've stuck w/ML and hoped he could make state into an upper level SEC team. He's hamstrung by his: system and his stubbornness.

Mike is hilarious and fun and if his teams brought back more W's, I'd want him buried under Scott Field.. Here's to hoping Key West has a new, permanent resident

Beat UGA and OM....and I'm changin' my mind, but right now....not gonna happen

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
In this game they had a thirty four minute dry spell of scoring and it’s even worse if we only consider offensive scores. That has to improve and I think that it will require a near full roster turnover. Rogers and the receivers have significantly improved over the last two years but I think they have peaked, or Rogers has anyway.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
No way we beat UGA and a puncher's chance to beat OM. I picked us 7-5 before the season ever began. The only thing that will change that is what we do in Oxford on Thanksgiving night. Mike Leach will always be a 6,7,8, win team.....especially when TX and OK join in a couple years. Occasionally, we'll get a 9 or 10 win year, but not very often. He keeps doing what he's always done, then he'll stay here for as long as he likes. I think he coaches another 5 years. At MSU, no coach will ever make the playoffs.....we are just too permanently set as a middle feeder.

Last edited:

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Thing is, players win games as well.

our OL Got smacked around, WRs are much better than the past but still not NFL level and Rogers is limited especially with his legs.

These guys are giving what they can but it simply is not enough.
Is the answer a new coach! Not without a plan to improve the roster. A coaching change won’t do a thing without significant NIL monies to get better players.

In fact, it’s probably worse than Leach because he wins more than he loses. Top players get paid, it’s as simply as that. Our NIL FUNDS need more help. Every one of us need to contribute so we can give whatever coach we have a more level playing field.

then if leach can’t recruit or win at a higher level I can see moving on from him.

we don’t have a Jimbo situation where we are held hostage by a 95 million buyout. We could move on but until NIL situation improves, we shouldn’t.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011

our OL Got smacked around, WRs are much better than the past but still not NFL level and Rogers is limited especially with his legs.

Is the answer a new coach! Not without a plan to improve the roster. A coaching change won’t do a thing without significant NIL monies to get better players.

In fact, it’s probably worse than Leach because he wins more than he loses. Top players get paid, it’s as simply as that. Our NIL FUNDS need more help. Every one of us need to contribute so we can give whatever coach we have a more level playing field.

then if leach can’t recruit or win at a higher level I can see moving on from him.

we don’t have a Jimbo situation where we are held hostage by a 95 million buyout. We could move on but until NIL situation improves, we shouldn’t.
This is the most level headed and common sense post I’ve ever seen on this board. You must be on the wrong board.

Reactions: HRMSU

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Take back the missed snap, shank punts and the fumbles even as bad as the Offense played, they would have won big. They made some really bad brain-dead mistakes, it started to steam roll on them. It happens and it did last night. Be happy they were able to overcome it and win. Many Miss State teams in the past would have loss that game. That's including the best teams Jackie or Mullen had.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I've stuck w/ML and hoped he could make state into an upper level SEC team. He's hamstrung by his: system and his stubbornness.

Mike is hilarious and fun and if his teams brought back more W's, I'd want him buried under Scott Field.. Here's to hoping Key West has a new, permanent resident

Our best hope for the apple cup is that the annual Jimmy Sexton end-of-year shitshow has Kiffin dreaming of p u s s y on the plains when he’s supposed to be focusing on getting the shitheads prepped. Otherwise, expect ML to get his a s s huskied again.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Take back the missed snap, shank punts and the fumbles even as bad as the Offense played, they would have won big. They made some really bad brain-dead mistakes, it started to steam roll on them. It happens and it did last night. Be happy they were able to overcome it and win. Many Miss State teams in the past would have loss that game. That's including the best teams Jackie or Mullen had.
We've been doing that a month. After a bye, we came out fine. We got comfortable. Auburn adjusted. We didn't. That's the thing if it's sloppy one game fine. We have a pattern of sloppiness outside of 5 games where we played well in which turns out those teams are terrible. We played a terrible team last night snd played a sloppy terrible game too. At some point guys and their fat girlfriends include the coach because coach is responsible for how the players play

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I’m not loving the Mike Leach era. It’s very frustrating to see us not even show up for a couple games a year and have long droughts on offense.

That said, Leach is seems to be able to manage the team well and keep off-field issues under control. He still brings a lot to the table that is not guaranteed with another coach. See CJM.

Obviously, our fanbase failed him by not supporting the NIL. That alone should buy him more time. I also think that Leach can thrive with a better supporting cast. No, we aren’t going to ever win 9-10 games regularly. I do think we aren’t far from winning 8 regularly, and that should satisfy most fans. We are in the SEC West, after all.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015

I agree with this, but I must again take exception to the NIL being hoisted as the only savior we have left.

Case in point, Texas A&M. Jimbo Boomhower has been given the time and money anyone worth salt should win 10 games with. His team has a lot of quit in them and is getting pushed around by everyone. NIL evidently isn’t the magic bullet for them. Coaching is and always will be the critical part of the equation, especially at a developmental program like State.

If Michael Leach can’t scheme and adjust his offense in real time, motivate those young men to realize their potential and put the death stomp on a hated divisional rival who just poached your AD and is down and wounded on your home field, I just don’t see him getting State to 10 wins consistently no matter how much leverage he’s given.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login