Johnny Football

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
Most mad I’ve ever been at a game in Starkville. I think I drank a dozen beers before 11 AM. Went home and took a nap at halftime and woke up feeling like absolute death. Will never forgive him for that. Cool doc tho.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I have not watched it yet, but I will. The kinda outrageous stuff I’ve read that was revealed in the show makes me wonder if some of it’s embellished a little bit.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Very good show. Both of his parents are unbelievable, though. The dad's comments that it's the job of a college football program to turn your son into an upstanding young man is pure lunacy.

Interesting to hear his friend talk about the autograph signing "business". I still can't believe he only got a half game suspension for that.

Lots of crazy stories revealed in the documentary.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Very good show. Both of his parents are unbelievable, though. The dad's comments that it's the job of a college football program to turn your son into an upstanding young man is pure lunacy.
I thought the same. He even wanted the high school to do that 'military' type stuff.

Where was he? Did he not instill ANY discipline at all? But it can sometime go the other way, he may have been overbearing, and we just didn't see that part.

Of course on the other hand, Sumlin was not a very 'tough' coach. His teams were always soft. Klingsbury was the same way.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Great watch on Netflix. Beat us with a hangover.
It said he showed up to practice on the Thursday before our game hungover after having been out for Halloween (10/31/2012 was a Wednesday). By the time Saturday (11/3) rolled around, he was unfortunately fine.

Reactions: Crucifictorious

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Just watched it. Full time frat boy and will be living that life for years to come I'm guessing. Hopefully a toned down version.

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Wild ride for sure. Very good show. I believed the comes from money narrative and picked it up right here on SPS

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Just watched it. Full time frat boy and will be living that life for years to come I'm guessing. Hopefully a toned down version.
Heck, the opening montage showed him shotgunning beer and ripping bong hits at his house with his buddies. Doesn't look like it's toned down too much yet...

Reactions: WilCoDawg

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Heck, the opening montage showed him shotgunning beer and ripping bong hits at his house with his buddies. Doesn't look like it's toned down too much yet...
This was my thought as well. He doesn’t seem to have learned much after all. Seems he’d be avoiding that since he’s bipolar but Johnny Football gonna Johnny Football.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
It said he showed up to practice on the Thursday before our game hungover after having been out for Halloween (10/31/2012 was a Wednesday). By the time Saturday (11/3) rolled around, he was unfortunately fine.
They also said he was sweating beer in Starkville so I would assume he was still hurting from partying.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I thought the same. He even wanted the high school to do that 'military' type stuff.

Where was he? Did he not instill ANY discipline at all? But it can sometime go the other way, he may have been overbearing, and we just didn't see that part.

Of course on the other hand, Sumlin was not a very 'tough' coach. His teams were always soft. Klingsbury was the same way.
Given that the dad commented that Johnny didn’t fall far from the tree, I’m guessing the dad is an arrogant jackass as well.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I just watched it. It’s a very good show, but what a waste of talent. It’s funny how some with all the talent have the least give a damn. It all comes down to life choices and decision making.

The frat boy reference is a little skewed in that most of the fraternity guys that I knew at state have made something of themselves. (Lawyers, engineers, business owners, assistant athletic directors, big farmers, CPAs, doctors, dentists, and bank executives). I’d say it is a much higher successful percentage than non-greek. But thinking back on it, maybe that’s just who I came in contact with.

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I heard that Jerry Jones had to be physically restrained from drafting him first round.

Probably true.

I went on a tour of The Star last year. They take you in the Draft room. The tour guide told the story; Jerry was set on Johnny football as the first pick. Stephen Jones and others talked Jerry out of it and they picked Zack Martin. Thank goodness for Stephen.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
The Cowboys have a pretty good front office. Stephen Jones isn't a complete idiot, and Will McClay is currently the de facto GM.

However, I still believe the Cowboys are soft because Jerral keeps sticking his nose into things he sucks at (like player personnel decisions) and not concentrating on what he does best- sell the Cowboys as America's Team.

Got news for Jerral- the Cowboy dynasty of the early 1990's was entirely due to Jimmy Johnson.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Great show. He was a **** show. He does make a good argument for nil. The dad was basically a terrible father. Not much of a good example and his parents pretty much enabled him.

watching him play was something else. That game in Starkville was miserable. We couldn't do anything right that game to remotely stop him. It was over in the first quarter.

I am reminded that the best qbs can make things happen with their feet extending plays. I can't wait to have a qb again that can move and extend plays. Just makes me wonder what leaches system could have looked like with s mobile qb. Will never know.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I am reminded that the best qbs can make things happen with their feet extending plays. I can't wait to have a qb again that can move and extend plays. Just makes me wonder what leaches system could have looked like with s mobile qb. Will never know.
IF......they can also throw. Those aren't as easy to find as so many think they are.

A QB who is just fast doesn't really move the needle. That would have been terrible in the Air Raid. Johnny would have been awesome, but Johnny would have been awesome in most any offense.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
IF......they can also throw. Those aren't as easy to find as so many think they are.

A QB who is just fast doesn't really move the needle. That would have been terrible in the Air Raid. Johnny would have been awesome, but Johnny would have been awesome in most any offense.
Can't tell me there aren't a bunch of high school qbs in Texas that don't runs modified air raid that can sling it and move their feet. See guys like that a lot on Saturday's in a lot of schools. We just happened to get the one that can move his feet and not backwards into a sack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Can't tell me there aren't a bunch of high school qbs in Texas that don't runs modified air raid that can sling it and move their feet. See guys like that a lot on Saturday's in a lot of schools. We just happened to get the one that can move his feet and not backwards into a sack
This is a myth, a made-up fallacy to support agendas. Very similar to Croom's 'can-find-a-receiver-on-any-Miami-street-corner' quote.

There are some QBs that can throw, a good many that can run, but not many at all that can do both on an adequate basis at the college level (that's the key point here). I THINK Chris Parson might be one, or might can develop into one. We'll see. But it's not as easy as you say.

So many of you were frustrated with Nicky Fitz, and he was one of the best runners around.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I loved fitz but I knew it was stupid to try to make him into a vertical accurate passer. Play action and wheel routes he was great at in 17. Moorhead was just an idiot.

parsons I'm excited about

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
This is a myth, a made-up fallacy to support agendas. Very similar to Croom's 'can-find-a-receiver-on-any-Miami-street-corner' quote.

There are some QBs that can throw, a good many that can run, but not many at all that can do both on an adequate basis at the college level (that's the key point here). I THINK Chris Parson might be one, or might can develop into one. We'll see. But it's not as easy as you say.

So many of you were frustrated with Nicky Fitz, and he was one of the best runners around.
Texas does have a lot of gunslinging quarterbacks. However, the defenses all suck.

Also, the High School coaching and development in Texas is so good, many of the players are close to their ceiling by the time they get to college,

In Mississippi, you still find raw talent, diamonds in the rough. For example, Bernardrick McKinney was an option quarterback in High School. Comes to State, becomes an all-american linebacker and has a great career in the League.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Meh, 17 that guy.
Yep, he was able to perform when he had the keys to the team at Texas A&M. But when he got to the pros and everything was structured he couldn't handle it. He couldn't function in an environment where he couldn't makes his own rules. Nothing to see here other than a spoiled brat who was an *** to his family and threw his career away.

Reactions: Maroon13 and Dawgg

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Probably true.

I went on a tour of The Star last year. They take you in the Draft room. The tour guide told the story; Jerry was set on Johnny football as the first pick. Stephen Jones and others talked Jerry out of it and they picked Zack Martin. Thank goodness for Stephen.
Someone joked on Twitter during the draft that Jerry was screaming Johnny Football into his phone, which had been intentionally disconnected.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login