Johnthan Banks and Heritage 0-9

Maskhater

Aug 30, 2023
Old money not wanting to recruit anymore? Pogue lost his Eupora rb to Starkville High and got out after one year…he saw the writing on the wall.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
The MAIS is Miss-aligned badly. Really unfortunate that unlike Jackson public schools, many are in small towns so far apart there is no way to merge.
We have these huge metro PS and all of those tiny rural ones, many who play 8 man football. At one time. The really small ones tried to do 7 man football I think.

why can’t Sharkey-Issaquena and Deer Creek merge? Manchester and Benton? Greenville Christian and Washington? Pillow and Delta Streets. Indianola and North Sunflower? Carroll and Winona? Clarksdale Lee and Delta (Marks)?
Several more within 15-20 miles of each other.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Speaking of mergers, why aren’t all 11 man football teams playing in the same divisions yet?

it’s not difficult. Private schools should just have to play one level up to account for their crootin.

8 man should be separate

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The MAIS is Miss-aligned badly. Really unfortunate that unlike Jackson public schools, many are in small towns so far apart there is no way to merge.
We have these huge metro PS and all of those tiny rural ones, many who play 8 man football. At one time. The really small ones tried to do 7 man football I think.

why can’t Sharkey-Issaquena and Deer Creek merge? Manchester and Benton? Greenville Christian and Washington? Pillow and Delta Streets. Indianola and North Sunflower? Carroll and Winona? Clarksdale Lee and Delta (Marks)?
Several more within 15-20 miles of each other.
Because the parents who have been paying tuition for 12 years don't want little Johnny to have to compete with a kid from another school for playing time. Some of these parents care more about their kid starting than winning.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Sounds like he’ll be back in the maroon and white before you know it.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Because the parents who have been paying tuition for 12 years don't want little Johnny to have to compete with a kid from another school for playing time. Some of these parents care more about their kid starting than winning.
Here’s the deal. My son isn’t anywhere close to playing high school sports right now. However, if he’s pretty damn good at his position as an upperclassman, and his senior year, some kid comes in for free and takes his position, I’m going to be pissed. It’s a fine line these schools have to walk between being competitive and not biting the hand that feeds them.

If he sucks, then it is what it is.

The metro schools have more kids than they know what to do with. It’s a different story for the rural schools. They’re just trying to survive.

Last edited:
Reactions: aTotal360

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Here’s the deal. My son isn’t anywhere close to playing high school sports right now. However, if he’s pretty damn good at his position as an upperclassman, and his senior year, some kid comes in for free and takes his position, I’m going to be pissed. It’s a fine line these school have to walk between being competitive and not biting the hand that feeds them.

If he sucks, then it is what it is.

The metro schools have more kids than they know what to do with. It’s a different story for the rural schools. They’re just trying to survive.
Concur, although this happens on the reg. Many years ago, my sister taught at Canton Academy, she said this was a big issue.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We have a few private schools in the public league. The most prominent one up here, TCPS, FINALLY got popped for BLATANTLY recruiting from all over. Their best team ever had a lineman from MANHATTAN, the one in NYC. They got that one through their coach's AAU connections. That was just the most blatant example, there were multiple others. The MHSAA had no intention to do anything about it. It had gone on for years. What prompted it was TUPELO got tired of it in baseball.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We have a few private schools in the public league. The most prominent one up here, TCPS, FINALLY got popped for BLATANTLY recruiting from all over. Their best team ever had a lineman from MANHATTAN, the one in NYC. They got that one through their coach's AAU connections. That was just the most blatant example, there were multiple others. The MHSAA had no intention to do anything about it. It had gone on for years. What prompted it was TUPELO got tired of it in baseball.
They have a multiplier. That’s just the way it is nowadays.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Heritage? We talking about Heritage, man???

Since when did they become relevant? Back in my days in the Friendly City, you did not hear what they were doing and nobody cared what they were doing.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
So they could all play for something of significance.
The big 4 Jackson metro private schools should be playing MHSAA. They’re just so big & dominant for the rest of MAIS, it’s a joke they’re playing them.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The big 4 Jackson metro private schools should be playing MHSAA. They’re just so big & dominant for the rest of MAIS, it’s a joke they’re playing them.
Yeah. Their only competition is each other, so what have you really won? 4-team title? But deep down, I think that’s kind of how they like it.

It’s a metaphor for the metro area for sure.

But yeah I’d support the bigger ones only playing public, if that’s what it took.

Nov 25, 2019

Since when did they become relevant? Back in my days in the Friendly City, you did not hear what they were doing and nobody cared what they were doing.
yeah, they've won a few state titles and played for a few others. Total rebuild now.

Reactions: Maroon13

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
This kind of stuff goes on in metro public school. You have kids who are second string at Brandon but has a grandmother who lives in McLaurin School Zone. They use Grandmothers address or whatever they need to get him enrolled. He comes in and is a starter. I know of two kids personally this took place. I used to drop my daughter off at Brandon Highschool and seen Hinds, Simpson and Scott County tags dropping kids off.

East Rankin Academy sucks so I am guessing they are not recruiting and having booster pay tuition. They have all these public schools around them that is a gold mine if they wanted it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This kind of stuff goes on in metro public school. You have kids who are second string at Brandon but has a grandmother who lives in McLaurin School Zone. They use Grandmothers address or whatever they need to get him enrolled. He comes in and is a starter. I know of two kids personally this took place. I used to drop my daughter off at Brandon Highschool and seen Hinds, Simpson and Scott County tags dropping kids off.

East Rankin Academy sucks so I am guessing they are not recruiting and having booster pay tuition. They have all these public schools around them that is a gold mine if they wanted it.
East Rankin is pretty strict, and they still value academics. However, I do wonder if the urge to compete in sports doesn't eventually bite them. They have a good crop of kids in 5th-7th grade coming up, but I already know of 1 that has left to go play sports at Hartfield.

And I really don't understand why. To win the 'state championship' of metro Jackson between 4 teams? If you're good, you're good, and you'll get seen.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Inside the County of Rankin there are 8 public high schools three of which are Six A moving up to seven A and four Private Schools. Picker delight if you want to recruit because everyone has a relative that lives in another school zone.

Reactions: patdog

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018

Both of my kids went to Heritage and now my grandkids go to Heritage. From back when my boys were playing ball it looked like our Friday night crowds equaled or exceeded those for Columbus High. Good school. Provided an excellent education for my boys. They were totally prepared when they arrived at State. At one time I was President of the Heritage Sports Boosters. Great group of parents. They would pitch in every time. I miss those years and look forward to my grandkids getting a little older so they can start playing Junior High sand high school sports. Go Patriots!

Reactions: Maroon13

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
“why can’t Sharkey-Issaquena and Deer Creek merge?”

Went to both Sharkey and the Creek As a senior we spent several days talking about combining Sharkey, Deer Creek, and Humphries.

The hospital in Hollandale had just closed. This was our new fictitious school building with new wings added for jr high and elementary. Football stadium was going to be west of school and baseball/softball complex was to be across hwy 12.

We had a lot of fun planning this 4A school.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Most parents do.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login