Jon Sumrall

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
And Troy face UL next Saturday at 2:30 on the NFL Network if anybody wants to watch that game. I know he is a defensive coach but they sure throw it around. He has a pretty good QB.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Not sure what the aversion to hiring a defensive coach is. Nick Saban and Kirby Smart are defensive coaches.
They throw the ball and score points. I was not a fan and did some looking and I'm not sure he wouldn't be a good choice now.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
Not sure what the aversion to hiring a defensive coach is. Nick Saban and Kirby Smart are defensive coaches.
Saban and Smart both have 5 star across the board so it doesn’t really matter their offensive coordinator pick or scheme. They can both afford to be more vanilla or pro style. The aversion is because of what Arnett just did. I agree with you that any coach worth his salt, wether he be defensive minded or even offensive minded, should know that here at state it’s going to take a little something different approach wise, to the offensive side of the ball than what both Alabama and Georgia can afford to do. The problem is not aversion but more so apprehension, or the uncertainty of what the defensive guy is going to do, just like what Arnett did. With the offensive guy you know what you’re getting, but with the defensive guy you don’t know if he’s going to scheme offensively like he has Alabama or Georgia talent, or if he understands our talent deficiencies and goes with the element of surprise or gorilla warfare.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The OC he has now is putting up some pretty big points and their defense is outstanding. Of course they are playing Sunbelt competition. But at the same time they got Sunbelt players. I'm just glad I'm not having to pick our next coach. Such a crapshoot

patdog

May 28, 2007
The OC he has now is putting up some pretty big points and their defense is outstanding. Of course they are playing Sunbelt competition. But at the same time they got Sunbelt players. I'm just glad I'm not having to pick our next coach. Such a crapshoot
It’s always a bit of a crapshoot. Home run hires often fail. Meh hires sometimes turn out to be home runs.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We don’t have to have an offensive guy. We just need a guy that’s serious about offense. And honestly a defensive guy hiring a good OC may be best. 3 of our last 4 offensive coaches limited themselves severely by insisting on their offense and not evolving or tweaking it.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
There are a lot of successful head coaches to choose from this year. Personally, I would prefer to hire a coach that is good at developing QBs like Dan Mullen or Mike Leach. I have witnessed too many years of weak QB play to suffer through it in the future.
A good head coach will surround himself with good assistant coaches. Let's go after a proven winner.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Sumrall is gonna be a star. And recruits love him. 20-4 in 2 seasons. They won 15 games in 3 seasons before him. Only issue is KY opening up in the future.

Reactions: DogStuckAtUM

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Saban and Smart both have 5 star across the board so it doesn’t really matter their offensive coordinator pick or scheme. They can both afford to be more vanilla or pro style. The aversion is because of what Arnett just did. I agree with you that any coach worth his salt, wether he be defensive minded or even offensive minded, should know that here at state it’s going to take a little something different approach wise, to the offensive side of the ball than what both Alabama and Georgia can afford to do. The problem is not aversion but more so apprehension, or the uncertainty of what the defensive guy is going to do, just like what Arnett did. With the offensive guy you know what you’re getting, but with the defensive guy you don’t know if he’s going to scheme offensively like he has Alabama or Georgia talent, or if he understands our talent deficiencies and goes with the element of surprise or gorilla warfare.
What if he has Ole Miss talent? Does he gotta go crazy and be “different” then? Are Alabama and Georgia the only teams that can run familiar schemes and be successful?

DogStuckAtUM

Aug 5, 2021
Sumrall is gonna be a star. And recruits love him. 20-4 in 2 seasons. They won 15 games in 3 seasons before him. Only issue is KY opening up in the future.
Yep. If Stoops takes Michigan State or Iowa, Sumrall is Kentucky-bound.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Things I like about Sumrall:
  • Sun Belt head coach. The Sun Belt feels like the G5 version of the SEC. They have a lot of good coaches.
  • Troy is not a top recruiter in the Sun Belt. We need a coach that doesn't need superior talent to have success.
  • SEC playing/coaching experience
  • He's coached in the SEC footprint for the last 10+ years.
  • Age 42
I don't have a problem with a coach with a defensive background. You have to hire a good OC.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We don’t have to have an offensive guy. We just need a guy that’s serious about offense. And honestly a defensive guy hiring a good OC may be best. 3 of our last 4 offensive coaches limited themselves severely by insisting on their offense and not evolving or tweaking it.
My thing would be it's a lot easier for an offensive minded guy to fix it if it's broken than a defensive guy fixing it. I think an offensive minded coach can make moves on defense with coaches or whatever to improve that. I would rather change defensive coordinators out every year than change ocs if it's not working. That's just me

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login