Josh Pate on the transfer portal. “It’s gonna get really crazy in April…”

patdog

May 28, 2007
He seems to think it will get better after all the dust settles. I have my doubts.
It won’t. I think we’re still a couple of years away from the worst of the insanity. Even then it won’t get better. It just won’t keep getting worse.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It won’t. I think we’re still a couple of years away from the worst of the insanity. Even then it won’t get better. It just won’t keep getting worse.
Yeah it ain't getting better. It will just normalize, perhaps a standard calendar, and everyone will just get used to it.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
From what I've seen with my kids' generations and changes in attitudes, this might, stress might, get a little better in about 4-5 years, but the reality is the transfer portal needs to be nuked. Hopefully Saint Sankey et al make scholarships a 4-year commitment on both sides (or similar permanent fix) and move on.

patdog

May 28, 2007
From what I've seen with my kids' generations and changes in attitudes, this might, stress might, get a little better in about 4-5 years, but the reality is the transfer portal needs to be nuked. Hopefully Saint Sankey et al make scholarships a 4-year commitment on both sides (or similar permanent fix) and move on.
Simple solution is player contracts and transfer fees. That would solve the problem pretty quickly. It'll never happen though.

Reactions: HRMSU and WilCoDawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Hopefully Levee understands the portal and can work it. Arnett was in so far over his head he couldn't see straight and Leach probably was not one to participate in such tomfoolery.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Simple solution is player contracts and transfer fees. That would solve the problem pretty quickly. It'll never happen though.
Would require employee status which brings collective bargaining. It probably happens at some point but that'll be after all the dust settles with conferences etc.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Would require employee status which brings collective bargaining. It probably happens at some point but that'll be after all the dust settles with conferences etc.
Maybe. But the players already have everything they would want. Why would they negotiate any of it away?

Oct 17, 2023
Dartmouth players already voted to unionize last September, so its on it's way.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Maybe. But the players already have everything they would want. Why would they negotiate any of it away?
I don't think it's going to get solved without federal legislation, but I definitely wouldn't count on the players not doing something stupid as a reason that something won't happen. Dartmouth voted to unionize while being crappy and losing money. Now Dartmouth's team is probably much more affluent than the average college basketball player and that may have been about being affluent enough to make a stupid political statement that's not in their best interest. But while I don't think other players would be stupid in the same way, I'm sure we all could be surprised by ways they come up with for being stupid.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
I don't think it's going to get solved without federal legislation, but I definitely wouldn't count on the players not doing something stupid as a reason that something won't happen. Dartmouth voted to unionize while being crappy and losing money. Now Dartmouth's team is probably much more affluent than the average college basketball player and that may have been about being affluent enough to make a stupid political statement that's not in their best interest. But while I don't think other players would be stupid in the same way, I'm sure we all could be surprised by ways they come up with for being stupid.
I think the Ivy league told them to eat **** and that Ivy league athletes are not employees

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think the Ivy league told them to eat **** and that Ivy league athletes are not employees
Well, the NLRB ruled they are employees and can unionize. So there's not anything Dartmouth can do about it. The players didn't actually vote to form a union. They voted to join the existing union that covers other Dartmouth employees.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
We kinda need it to get crazy. We need some portal help and we don't have a lot to lose really.

Reactions: AFDawg

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
I believe the transfer portal should stay there if a Head Coach or the player's position coach leaves. Otherwise, it should be the old wait a year.

Reactions: HRMSU

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Nothing in our history indicates this will do anything but hurt us. It will take a blue blood getting raided for anything to change. If it's us that gets shafted, no one will bat an eye.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Wait till the IRS gets involved. That's when the fun starts.
IRS has been involved all along. I strongly suspect most NIL deals are doing backup withholding for the athletes and they're being provided professional income tax preparation services. You're not going to see a bunch of athletes surprised to find out they should have been paying their taxes. Probably some too stupid to, but it won't be nearly as big a deal as a lot of people apparently think.

Dawg1969

Aug 22, 2012
I know this gets convoluted, but if these kids are jumping around from school to school, who's advising them? At what point does an advisor become an agent and cost them amateur status? I don't have an answer and you may be right. I just wonder what the end result might be.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Nothing in our history indicates this will do anything but hurt us. It will take a blue blood getting raided for anything to change. If it's us that gets shafted, no one will bat an eye.
This.
The idea that we could close the gap on the top 15 football schools with the new "level" playing field always made me chuckle.

Stay in ye place, peasant, and savor thine scraps when deemed worthy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login