JR Plumlee named the starter at UCF, that will be an offense to watch.....

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
....and I wouldn't mind if we called up Malzahn whenever Leach retires......or if we go promote Arnett/go defense, then get a Malzahn disciple as OC.

I've always thought that run-based zig zaggy speed sweep stuff would work well at MSU. Auburn alumni tried to control his recruiting and turn him into a pro-style coach.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Don't think he would come as OC back to SEC. He will do his stint as HC at UCF until one of the mega conference jobs come calling. UCF joins remainder of big 12 next year.

Plumlee will do fine in that style of offense.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Don't think he would come as OC back to SEC. He will do his stint as HC at UCF until one of the mega conference jobs come calling. UCF joins remainder of big 12 next year.

Plumlee will do fine in that style of offense.

Malzahn “disciple”

Did not score high in English portion of the ACT

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
....and I wouldn't mind if we called up Malzahn whenever Leach retires......or if we go promote Arnett/go defense, then get a Malzahn disciple as OC.

I've always thought that run-based zig zaggy speed sweep stuff would work well at MSU. Auburn alumni tried to control his recruiting and turn him into a pro-style coach.

Sounds like you're talking about John Bond 2.00. I can go for that.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Sounds like you're talking about John Bond 2.00. I can go for that.
Yep. That's why I was initially against the Moorhead and Leach hires, didn't think a pass happy offense would work here. BUT.....we are finally going to get the answer to that over the next few years with Leach. We will find out if it just won't work at MSU, or if it was MSU simply not trying to do it.

1980-1981, 1991-1992, 1998-2000, 2014-2015, 2017-2018.....all of our most successful multi-year runs were due to a run-based offense with a mobile QB. Defense was a big part as well. We will see on the passing stuff I guess.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I don't think Auburn alumni tried to control his recruiting as far as turning him into a pro-style coach, I think they just have such an inferiority complex and put so much emphasis on recruiting rankings that once boosters had their sights on a highly rated recruit, it was hard for him to redirect. So instead of letting him choose his targets and them open up the checkbook, they saddled him with recruits that either didn't fit his system, or that were quasi bad apples that were hard for him to discipline b/c of the relationships with the boosters, or both.

I do think the culture at Auburn makes it more difficult to win consistently there than people realize and that Malzahn would have done just about as well on average if he had been at MSU. Wouldn't have had any 7-1 conference records, but also might not have ever finished 7th in the west.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Yep. That's why I was initially against the Moorhead and Leach hires, didn't think a pass happy offense would work here. BUT.....we are finally going to get the answer to that over the next few years with Leach. We will find out if it just won't work at MSU, or if it was MSU simply not trying to do it.

1980-1981, 1991-1992, 1998-2000, 2014-2015, 2017-2018.....all of our most successful multi-year runs were due to a run-based offense with a mobile QB. Defense was a big part as well. We will see on the passing stuff I guess.

Our best 2 years under Dan, Dak obliterated all MSU passing records.

With the one exception of Fant’s SR year, MSU couldn’t even field a 2000 yard passer. Even during the 80s, 90s and early 2000s we weren’t even NCAA average. We were a totally inept passing program. I don’t ever want to go back to that again.

There were teams that were run heavy that still had competent passing games. We chose to not even do that. It was pathetic to watch and it kept us from actually winning bigger. The SEC was ours for the taking for much of the 90s and if we had even tried, we maybe could have snagged at least one SEC championship.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

With the one exception of Fant’s SR year, MSU couldn’t even field a 2000 yard passer. Even during the 80s, 90s and early 2000s we weren’t even NCAA average. We were a totally inept passing program. I don’t ever want to go back to that again.

There were teams that were run heavy that still had competent passing games. We chose to not even do that. It was pathetic to watch and it kept us from actually winning bigger. The SEC was ours for the taking for much of the 90s and if we had even tried, we maybe could have snagged at least one SEC championship.

Just about to post something similar to this. Look at our history, it’s not exactly like our offenses have lit the world on fire running the ball either.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

2014-2015 was about the peak in my opinion. Hard to imagine ever doing much better than that. I think Malzahn could probably do that better than Mullen, assuming he gets the pieces he needs.

As far as the 90s, I'm still not sold that we didn't try. We've just never been able to get the right combo of line, QB and WRs. Derrick Taite threw it all over the yard from 1994-1996 and we sucked two of those years. Todd Jordan threw it all over in 1993 and we sucked. What's the difference in 1994? We had Bouie and Davis behind a punishing line.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I think a big reason for this was we recruited locally for years and MS and Alabama offenses weren’t exactly throwing it all over the field in those years.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Just about to post something similar to this. Look at our history, it’s not exactly like our offenses have lit the world on fire running the ball either.

Thats the thing, running isn't always the answer, so why do people think passing won't work at MSU? I don't care for Leach's offense myself, but I don't think there is anything unique to MSU that means it cannot work here at least as well as other places.

People say we have never been able to recruit QBs and receivers talented enough to run a pass first offense. We never had a coach who threw the ball enough to attract those guys. Croom wanted to be that guy, but he was inept. Leach has already attracted QBs and WRS that can run his offense. Let's see what happens.

And I think people should clarify what they mean when they say an offense won't "work". Do you mean we can't win a championship with it? That's a pretty high bar, and basically means there is no offense that "works" at MSU. Do you mean we can't win 10 games with it? Also a high bar, that requires more than just a working offense, but at least it is quantifiable.

Do you mean we can't set SEC and national passing records with it? If so, then its already working.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Thats the thing, running isn't always the answer, so why do people think passing won't work at MSU? I don't care for Leach's offense myself, but I don't think there is anything unique to MSU that means it cannot work here at least as well as other places.

People say we have never been able to recruit QBs and receivers talented enough to run a pass first offense. We never had a coach who threw the ball enough to attract those guys. Croom wanted to be that guy, but he was inept. Leach has already attracted QBs and WRS that can run his offense. Let's see what happens.

And I think people should clarify what they mean when they say an offense won't "work". Do you mean we can't win a championship with it? That's a pretty high bar, and basically means there is no offense that "works" at MSU. Do you mean we can't win 10 games with it? Also a high bar, that requires more than just a working offense, but at least it is quantifiable.

Do you mean we can't set SEC and national passing records with it? If so, then its already working.
Basically hit the 2-loss or better regular season mark. King Jackie did it in 1999 and Danny Boy did it in 2014. The true next step for MSU would be to do that a few years in a row. We've been close (1998/2000 and 2015) but never really pulled it off. We had the ability in 2017 and 2018 but it didn't happen for reasons we all know.

One thing is for certain. If Leach can't do it, it'll never happen. It's the ultimate experiment in over-correcting, and I applaud Cohen to sticking to his guns. He'll either be proven to be a great big picture thinker or an unrealistic one.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Passing yards are great, but ultimately it’s about scoring points and here is our point per game since 2014.
2014 36.0
2015 34.4
2016 30.4
2017 32.0
2018 30.9
2020 21.4* All Sec schedule.
2021 29.2
Throwing for 5000 yards means nothing when you don’t score.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Passing yards are great, but ultimately it’s about scoring points and here is our point per game since 2014.
2014 36.0
2015 34.4
2016 30.4
2017 32.0
2018 30.9
2020 21.4* All Sec schedule.
2021 29.2
Throwing for 5000 yards means nothing when you don’t score.

I think we can average 34-36 this year. What say you?

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I’m was on record for wanting and advocating to hire Jeff Monken. I have no doubt given three years he would have given the SEC fits with what he does coupled with recruiting Mississippi and the south. I also think Malzahn’s offense would be a good fit here. Also note, we traditionally play good defense here, and a more run based offense helps that other side even more.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Basically hit the 2-loss or better regular season mark. King Jackie did it in 1999 and Danny Boy did it in 2014. The true next step for MSU would be to do that a few years in a row. We've been close (1998/2000 and 2015) but never really pulled it off. We had the ability in 2017 and 2018 but it didn't happen for reasons we all know.

One thing is for certain. If Leach can't do it, it'll never happen. It's the ultimate experiment in over-correcting, and I applaud Cohen to sticking to his guns. He'll either be proven to be a great big picture thinker or an unrealistic one.

We may have had a few successful seasons being a run-run-run-punt team but we've had A LOT of ****** seasons as well. As far as I am concerned, if Leech can't make it work we need to try the next guy who's had success outside the box.

Anyone who thinks we can build a dynasty in the old-fashioned, ordinary way while living in the SEC West among giants is not looking at it rationally

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
If we average 34-36, we’ve won 9 games probably.

I think we can win 8. We averaged 29 last year so thinking better FG kicking, Will & team in 3rd year and I believe a better defense could add 5 points on average over last year. Granted the schedule is tougher.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
If you mean only in non-conference games, then yes.

We missed what 11 FGs last year? Hit half of those and you add almost 1.5 points to your average without even taking into account more volume of attempts given better offense and better confidence in the kicking game.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
We looked like what Iowa looks like today. Hard to watch offensively. 3 yards and a cloud of dust!

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We may have had a few successful seasons being a run-run-run-punt team but we've had A LOT of ****** seasons as well. As far as I am concerned, if Leech can't make it work we need to try the next guy who's had success outside the box.

Anyone who thinks we can build a dynasty in the old-fashioned, ordinary way while living in the SEC West among giants is not looking at it rationally
Who said we wanted a run run run punt team?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think a big reason for this was we recruited locally for years and MS and Alabama offenses weren’t exactly throwing it all over the field in those years.
Yeah but the big question is still, are we recruiting locally by choice or necessity? I do think Leach will answer that eventually with these QBs, WRs and OLs from elsewhere. Everything else can essentially come from MS and surrounding areas.

Of course I think it's funny that at the end of the day, in year 3, our QB and most of the WRs/OLs are Mississippians.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login