JSU murder

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Anyone following this? They've arrested a guy who has witnesses, video evidence he was not at the murder, as well as his phone pinging him at the locations not at the crime scene. He's a football player at Jones College. Has had a professor vouch for him as well. JSU refuses to release him. Wondering isf anyone has kept up and knows more than I've seen I guess. Seems like unlawful detainment but I'm no lawyer.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
Anyone following this? They've arrested a guy who has witnesses, video evidence he was not at the murder, as well as his phone pinging him at the locations not at the crime scene. He's a football player at Jones College. Has had a professor vouch for him as well. JSU refuses to release him. Wondering isf anyone has kept up and knows more than I've seen I guess. Seems like unlawful detainment but I'm no lawyer.

This is from the Leader Call last week....no further updates....

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Totally opened this thinking that it was going to be about Deon killing the football program

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Ah, ok. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention and I just know what I see. Wondered if there was more.
I mean, would it really surprise you for JSU to just be that incompetent?

I'm a little concerned that JSU PD even has the right to detain anybody that long. I get having their own PD, but once murder is involved, they should hand it over to "real" departments, although I guess in this case that would be JPD, so...

It is kind of crazy that most places in Hinds is catch and release, and this kid is detained and can't get bail?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It seems crazy. All indications, including eyewitness affidavits (one from a store clerk who doesn't even know him) put him 1.5 hours away.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Sounds like typical police attitude.

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I mean, would it really surprise you for any PD to just be that incompetent?
FIFY
I'm a little concerned that JSU PD even has the right to detain anybody that long. I get having their own PD, but once murder is involved, they should hand it over to "real" departments, although I guess in this case that would be JPD, so...
why would JSU PD be any less incompetent than any podunk County USA?
It is kind of crazy that most places in Hinds is catch and release, and this kid is detained and can't get bail?
Bail reform proponent now? And are you suggesting that Hinds lets accused murderers out on bail?

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
It seems crazy. All indications, including eyewitness affidavits (one from a store clerk who doesn't even know him) put him 1.5 hours away.
Has he not had a hearing? Wouldn't surprise me if JSU infractions have some tiny court that meets once a month, and he has to wait until then to ask for bail.

ETA: he has indeed had a hearing. The county judge ordered no bail. Not JSU PDs fault here.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
FIFY

Because you would hope a university police department is not going to be staffed up to handle homicides and major crimes, but JSU, because of its location, probably does keep its PD busy? And also JSU isn't exactly renowned for its competence otherwise? Certainly there would be a lot of podunk PD's across the country that would also be bad, but you'd hope they'd at least have enough interest to respond to time stamped security footage.

Bail reform proponent now? And are you suggesting that Hinds lets accused murderers out on bail?
Does Hinds not let accused murderers out on bail? Is that a new policy?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The kid shot was just trying to help a friend collect some stuff from an ex's apartment and was shot while breaking up a fight.
17ing terrible to read.

If this suspect wasnt actually involved, I hope the police explain why they took so long to verify the evidence showing he is innocent.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Has he not had a hearing? Wouldn't surprise me if JSU infractions have some tiny court that meets once a month, and he has to wait until then to ask for bail.

ETA: he has indeed had a hearing. The county judge ordered no bail. Not JSU PDs fault here.

Something is really odd about this one. I have no idea what the reality is, but Stan Buckley, who is standing up for him, has a good reputation for integrity, to my knowledge. I don't know him personally.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Because you would hope a university police department is not going to be staffed up to handle homicides and major crimes, but JSU, because of its location, probably does keep its PD busy? And also JSU isn't exactly renowned for its competence otherwise? Certainly there would be a lot of podunk PD's across the country that would also be bad, but you'd hope they'd at least have enough interest to respond to time stamped security footage.

Does Hinds not let accused murderers out on bail? Is that a new policy?

$20k was too low for this guy, assuming there wasn't severe mitigating factors. But Jackson currently has 459 inmates. Cursory look shows many have been there a while. Hardly catch and release. Site doesn't show bail info unfortunately.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
He says after moronically trashing them, along with every "podunk" PD in the country, for no reason.
I wouldn't call a history of failure, incompetence, and lack of proper oversight or safeguards as "no reason". But you do you.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Something is really odd about this one. I have no idea what the reality is, but Stan Buckley, who is standing up for him, has a good reputation for integrity, to my knowledge. I don't know him personally.
Not really. Initial appearances are mostly for show. The judge rarely goes off script, the script being written by the prosecutor and thus the PD. If the info is correct, he'll get out. But the system is not set up to incorporate info like that at the initial appearance stage. And the cops aren't out to verify info that helps the accused. They are agents of the prosecution.

That's the main impetus for bail reform.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

It's not about bond. It's about having no reason to hold him.

Reactions: johnson86-1

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
It's not about bond. It's about having no reason to hold him.
I would assume that at his initial appearance, the prosecutor called a cop to the stand who testified as to evidence of guilt against him. There was likely no cross examination, nor evidence presented in the defendants favor. It would be very unusual (read: high priced attorney) for it to be otherwise.

Unfortunately, the system assumes that it's no big deal for an innocent person to be arrested and incarcerated for a short period of time. No importance is placed on preventing it, if the cops are for it. Instead, the system is set up (poorly) to prevent the conviction of the accused.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Reform is a necessity.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The kid shot was just trying to help a friend collect some stuff from an ex's apartment and was shot while breaking up a fight.
17ing terrible to read.
I've instructed my kids to not get involved in any type of alternation, breaking up fights, helping motorists who are broken down (unless an obvious lone female or older person), etc. We are at a point in society where you just can't get involved anymore.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
FIFY

You disappear for weeks and once a somewhat political thread gets started you show up to post. What's your ******* deal?

Reactions: WilCoDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login