Judging by what happened yesterday, is the double bye a good thing?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Three of the four double bye teams lost by double digits. It’s almost a little too much time off.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Those arenas have tight rims and not the best shooting backgrounds. Big difference between a 45 min shoot around with nobody in there and having a game or two with people in the stands

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
That was the first time three of the four top seeds lost on Friday. It’s still better to receive a bye to Friday for the simple fact that you can’t lose on Wednesday or Thursday.

Reactions: Dawgzilla2

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Those arenas have tight rims and not the best shooting backgrounds. Big difference between a 45 min shoot around with nobody in there and having a game or two with people in the stands
Bridgestone Arena is smaller than both Rupp Arena and Thompson Boling Arena. I think the real reason the top three seeds lost is the SEC is really freaking good this year. We had already beaten Tennessee, A&M had already beaten Kentucky and Florida had already blown out Alabama in the regular season. So it wasn’t a huge surprise those teams beat them again.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Three of the four double bye teams lost by double digits. It’s almost a little too much time off.
I was wondering the same thing. Sometimes sitting around waiting to play is not a good thing. Maybe having one game under our belts helped us more than it hurt them not being able to play a game

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
With the exception of SC throwing up bricks, the rest of the teams in the 3 games following ours all flirted with 90-100. I don’t think the arena or rims were an issue.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I would rather have the double bye because that probably means you're safely in the NCAA Tournament instead of worrying about how many you have to win in the conference tournament to get in the big dance.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I think you want the double bye.

But with 16 teams next year, I'm not sure why we don't just go to a regular, single elimination tournament. I know they can't play 8 games in one day, but the reward for finishing in the top 4 could be you play on Wednesday, and then you get a day off before the quarter finals.

And, yes, that means if a 13-16 seed pulled a first round upset, they would get a day off before the quarters. So what?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think you want the double bye.

But with 16 teams next year, I'm not sure why we don't just go to a regular, single elimination tournament. I know they can't play 8 games in one day, but the reward for finishing in the top 4 could be you play on Wednesday, and then you get a day off before the quarter finals.

And, yes, that means if a 13-16 seed pulled a first round upset, they would get a day off before the quarters. So what?
Yeah 16 is a nice number to make a regular single elimination format but it appears they are sticking with the current format going forward.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah 16 is a nice number to make a regular single elimination format but it appears they are sticking with the current format going forward.
Problem with a straight 16-team bracket is you have 2 of your theoretically best teams playing 4 games in 5 days, then starting the NCAA tournament with just 3 days rest (2 of which are travel days). That’s also why I won’t be disappointed at all if we lose today.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Problem with a straight 16-team bracket is you have 2 of your theoretically best teams playing 4 games in 5 days, then starting the NCAA tournament with just 3 days rest (2 of which are travel days). That’s also why I won’t be disappointed at all if we lose today.
Stretch it out. Now that I've thought about it, they should just play the first round on Tuesday and Wednesday, have Thursday off, then play the remaining games on Friday to Sunday. Or even back up the whole schedule by one day and play the championship on Saturday.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Or start the tournament earlier in the week.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login