Just how long will MSU fans

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
have to endure Polk? This is beyond ridiculous. He just isn't a good baseball coach.

I am afraid Polk has put MSU in a position that will take a very long time to correct. A very long time.

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
have to endure Polk? This is beyond ridiculous. He just isn't a good baseball coach.

I am afraid Polk has put MSU in a position that will take a very long time to correct. A very long time.

patdog

May 28, 2007
To slightly modify a famous quote by Frances Drebbin, "Our trip to the CWS last year will hurt us in the long run." Polk's gonna get a complete and total pass for this year because of last year and he'll be our coach for at least another year or two.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
because this is MSU baseball. This is supposed to be "our sport", so the leash is going to be a lot shorter, than say football. I think that we have some players with some talent that a competent, up to date coach can do some good things with, so as long as we do something quickly, I think we can rebuild fairly quickly. Also, losing to Ole Miss will wake some people up. This is not a one year deal where they are up and we are down. This is four straight season series that we will likely lose to them- home and away. Plus, Ole Miss has won 5 out of the last 6 Mayor's Trophy's/Gov. Cup. They also beat us in Hoover last year as well. That is totally unacceptable for an MSU baseball coach.

Also, IF Polk stays the biggest reason will be because of the transition period at the top with the Pres. leaving, and Byrne coming in. We have to stabilize the AD position at the very least before anyone leaves. Our best hope is that the cigar boys come in and save us, which I think they could do.

Edit to say I could see Byrne having the balls to fire Polk, even if it is in his first month. Byrne will be looking to make an imact hire to the athletic dept., and baseball is the most logical of the three major sports to do that right now.

patdog

May 28, 2007
First of all, Greg Byrne is smart enough to know that if he tries to fire Ron Polk, he's going to have the shortest AD career in SEC history. He may try to talk Polk into retiring, but Polk's not going anywhere until he decides to. It'll take us missing the SEC and NCAA tournaments this year and next year for Polk to be in any real trouble. There's a decent chance that will happen, but that's 2 years from now.

Secondly, as for losing to Mississippi waking people up, we've been losing to them for 4 years now and until today the majority opinion even on this board was that they hadn't passed us by in baseball because we went to Omaha last year and they haven't been since 1971. And if this board was so sheepish after last year, you can imagine what the rest of the Bulldog fans are like.</p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
after the 2004, 2005 and 2006 seasons? I'm telling you people, the sheep are going to rationalize this season as being an abberation. After all, Polk took us to the CWS last year. That's gonna be proof in their mind for at least 2-3 years that he's still the coach we need to lead our baseball program.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
...since LT gave him a new four-year contract after last season. I don't know what his buyout is, but I would imagine Byrne isn't going to want to pay it after just one season.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I meant from the fans/alumni whose opinions actually mean something.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
or is just now gonna hopefully wake everybody up. We've been to the Regionals every year he's been back, albeit we haven't hosted until we 'lucked up' and beat FSU last year and got the Super. It's the fact that we are absolutely terrible the year after going to a CWS. We lost to a fecking team that was 2-44 or whatever it was in Div I last year. 2-44!!!!!!! We lost 2 of 3 to North Fecking Florida. Almost got beat by Mississippi Valley. Had we won these games we should ALWAYS win, not as many people would be as outraged as they are. We are god-awful terrible and something has to be done. And it's not because OM is better than us this year. It's because we suck dick.

BoJangles921

Mar 3, 2008
or you are just stupid. You said "<span class="post-title">And the perception of ole miss being better than us"! Uhhh, it is a hell of lot more than perception.
That is part of what is wrong with our program, idiots that say they would take our program over theirs and the "perception" that they
are better. ****, they are so far ahead of us it is laughable.</span>

MadDawg.sixpack

May 22, 2006
just that it doesn't even take that. The "perception" is all it takes. Case in point: MSU basketball before the conference games began.

Oct 14, 2007
Much longer than there is any good reason for. Even getting skull-<17d> by OM this weekend won't wake up some of them. They'll point to our fluke CWS appearance, our extremely lucky SR host and say Polk has us in the right direction. It was just a bad year. Too many injuries. Have you ever coached baseball? Why don't you send in your resume? Polk wrote the book, he knows what he's doing. Etc., ad nauseum. Meanwhile, Bianco will be out recruiting like a fiend and finding ways to get guys in school while Polk gears up for more bitching at the NCAA. And our once-proud program will suffer until our sheep wake the 17 up in about 3 more years of suckassness.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There's no question that Mississippi's baseball program is light-years ahead of ours and has been for 4 years now. However, because they haven't been to Omaha in 30+ years, the perception among our sheep has been that they really aren't ahead of us at all. In fact, the perception of the sheep since last June has been that since we went to Omaha last year that our program is actually ahead of theirs.

patdog

May 28, 2007
South Panola Dawg said:
Much longer than there is any good reason for. Even getting skull-<17d> by OM this weekend won't wake up some of them. They'll point to our fluke CWS appearance, our extremely lucky SR host and say Polk has us in the right direction. It was just a bad year. Too many injuries. Have you ever coached baseball? Why don't you send in your resume? Polk wrote the book, he knows what he's doing. Etc., ad nauseum. Meanwhile, Bianco will be out recruiting like a fiend and finding ways to get guys in school while Polk gears up for more bitching at the NCAA. And our once-proud program will suffer until our sheep wake the 17 up in about 3 more years of suckassness.

It's funny how the sheep are quick to point to a bad year as being a fluke, while totally ignoring that the real fluke was the two weeks that got us to Omaha last year.</p>

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
My dad is a huge sheep. Huge. And before the post season last season, he was saying all of the same things that are said here. I think more people than it's believed to be by the contingent here are starting to take notice. Next season will hopefully be Polk's last.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
That doesn't mean the team didn't earn their victories. Winning at FSU and then at home versus Clempson earns your trip to the CWS. However, that route typically doesn't lead to Omaha, but rather right back to Starkville till next season.

People that can't see that OM puts themselves in better position to get to Omaha than we do and thus is more likely to make it there in the next 5 years than we are are just in denial.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
people are jumping off of the Polk wagon. Did you see the attendance for the game today? It was listed at something like 314. That's right 314 for an SEC game vs. Ole Miss. Yes, we had the basketball tournament, but in the past we would have drawn no less than 2,000 with real bad weather. Also, we possibly have our own fans trying to turn Polk in to the NCAA to get rid of his ***.

And as far as Polk's contract- if he gets paid let's say 100,000 a year, then his contract total would be 400,000 and after one year he would have 300,000 left plus a buyout- unless LT didn't put one in because he didn't anticipate Polk getting run off. But nonetheless, it wouldn't be more than 100,000.

Also, we aren't paying any other coaches that we have run off to my knowledge, so if our cigar boys can't pony up 400,000, we're in big trouble anyway. Heck, I bet the BC could easily pay for his buyout.

I do think that Polk will get another year, if for no other reason than what I said before, but people won't put up with MSU baseball losing for long.

And as far as Byrne- hell, it took how long to get rid of LT? The cigar boys will cozy up to him just like they did to LT. That's why he needs to bring in Cohen because then he can smooth over things with Polk's croonies.

Nov 11, 2007
He's a legend, the playing field bears his name.

Remember, some years ago, he left under some paradigm, went to UGA, led them to great success, then came back to MSU.

He won't be fired.

More later,

RCD

saddawg

Jun 25, 2006
abide,and have most of my life, suckatude in football and ,to a degree,basketball at State. I cannot abide it in baseball.
I know of nothing to do about it but call and cuss somebody. Who ever picks the phone up at the AD and BC.
Get ready for slobbering, drunken rage, little girl answering the phone doing your internship at the AD office

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
would you offer in defense of Polk being or not being a good coach since the SEC started giving a crap about baseball. He was better than the other coaches back in the 70's and early 80's when the SEC coaches were an after thought. Since other SEC school started hiring better coaches Polk hasn't done squat and definitely isn't one of the better coaches in the SEC now. He is actually very close to the bottom.

Just sayin'

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
dawgoneyall said:
would you offer in defense of Polk being or not being a good coach since the SEC started giving a crap about baseball.

</p>He wrote the book. <sarcasm>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login