Just signed up monthly for the NIL Initiative

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Cancel that membership you don’t use somewhere else and commit $10 or more per month!

9,888 to go!

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Just a nice round number that should be achievable considering we have 14000 BDC members and 40,000 plus season ticket holders and how many alumni?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
At one time I thought you were deactivated if you didn’t contribute for a year or 2 but I have no idea honestly.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I’ve decided to keep giving to the Bulldog Club-not giving my hard- earned money to a bunch of entitled athletes that will spend my money on hoes, cars and clothes. The BC pays for scholarships for “student-athletes”, if there are any of those people left. I have grandchildren at MSU, and I’d much rather give my money to my boys so that they can enjoy the whole college experience. To each his own, but I am pretty much done with giving to the school if that check I write is given to some kid who thinks he is entitled to be paid to block/tackle as a member of our football team. I’ll quit giving/watching/following MSU sports it this is what it has been reduced to. 17 these kids if this is really what we’ve been reduced to. I won’t do it, period. End of story.,

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’ve decided to keep giving to the Bulldog Club-not giving my hard- earned money to a bunch of entitled athletes that will spend my money on hoes, cars and clothes. The BC pays for scholarships for “student-athletes”, if there are any of those people left. I have grandchildren at MSU, and I’d much rather give my money to my boys so that they can enjoy the whole college experience. To each his own, but I am pretty much done with giving to the school if that check I write is given to some kid who thinks he is entitled to be paid to block/tackle as a member of our football team. I’ll quit giving/watching/following MSU sports it this is what it has been reduced to. 17 these kids if this is really what we’ve been reduced to. I won’t do it, period. End of story.,

Why are the athletes entitled for wanting money? I’m sure your grandkids want money, you want money. Are you entitled? I understand you not wanting to fund this NIL stuff but the players aren’t wrong or entitled for wanting to make money.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Why are the athletes entitled for wanting money? I’m sure your grandkids want money, you want money. Are you entitled? I understand you not wanting to fund this NIL stuff but the players aren’t wrong or entitled for wanting to make money.

So by your analogy, should kids get paid because their parents earn a salary? Should kids get a portion of your tax refund because you claim a child credit?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
So by your analogy, should kids get paid because their parents earn a salary? Should kids get a portion of your tax refund because you claim a child credit?

Huh? Where did I state a kid should get paid because there parents earn a salary? All I said was everyone wants to make money, that does not make someone entitled.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

Being paid for name, image and lightness is not the same as just given money to them. One way is earned income and the other is just charity. I will donate I am just saying he has a point. I also figure the tax man needs to eat too and will come a knocking once the government figures out how much money they are not receiving and start making laws..

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Being paid for name, image and lightness is not the same as just given money to them. One way is earned income and the other is just charity. I will donate I am just saying he has a point. I also figure the tax man needs to eat too and will come a knocking once the government figures out how much money they are not receiving and start making laws..

I agree with you, in regards to NIL money is not the same as just giving money to someone, which is why I’m pushing back on the idea that wanting NIL money makes them entitled.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Being paid for name, image and lightness is not the same as just given money to them.
Surely you're not naive enough to think these kids are really being paid for NIL. This is nothing other than direct pay for play with full free agency every year.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I think a way to make this more transparent is just to have a public auction. I mean it’s currently a private auction. If it’s public people will know what they’re paying for.

Feb 15, 2007
I’ve decided to keep giving to the Bulldog Club-not giving my hard- earned money to a bunch of entitled athletes that will spend my money on hoes, cars and clothes. ... I have grandchildren at MSU, and I’d much rather give my money to my boys so that they can enjoy the whole college experience.

Damn! You paying for your grandkids' hoes and cars?! My dad just cut me a check for gas money when I came home from school...

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Surely you're not naive enough to think these kids are really being paid for NIL. This is nothing other than direct pay for play with full free agency every year.

No I am not that naïve. You just stated my point. The Supreme Court Ruling had nothing to do with what is going on. The ruling just said the college athlete could make money on their NIL. That's not what is going on. They are just giving money to these guys. They are not earning it. How do you tax it? It's not income. Is it a gift? Could be and the person who gives the gift is responsible for the tax. The limitation is 16000.00 with out a tax for 2022. So who is giving the gift? Someone at the IRS, State Revenue and SS administration is going to figure this out and start making rules. Giving a guy 9 million dollars to play college football isn't going to fly too long before the tax men comes to looking. There will be some order installed. Just got to be patient. I can see the point of why should I give my money to that kid when I can give it to my own? If they are that good they will be millionaires in three years. I can also see the point of giving 10 to 25 dollars a month as well so my school can get those guys. . I will give.

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I've often wondered if that number is active members.

Around the time that we reseated the football stadium after the NEZ expansion, we had about 5,000 active members. I find it really hard to believe that the number has tripled over the last 8 or 9 years since that happened, unless the barrier of entry has been substantially lowered or they are counting old memberships that are no longer active.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Eleven Bravo;[URL="tel:2052204" said:
2052204[/URL]]I’ve decided to keep giving to the Bulldog Club-not giving my hard- earned money to a bunch of entitled athletes that will spend my money on hoes, cars and clothes. The BC pays for scholarships for “student-athletes”, if there are any of those people left. I have grandchildren at MSU, and I’d much rather give my money to my boys so that they can enjoy the whole college experience. To each his own, but I am pretty much done with giving to the school if that check I write is given to some kid who thinks he is entitled to be paid to block/tackle as a member of our football team. I’ll quit giving/watching/following MSU sports it this is what it has been reduced to. 17 these kids if this is really what we’ve been reduced to. I won’t do it, period. End of story.,

college football is billion dollar business and those entitled selfish pricks think they deserve a piece of the pie** it’s almost like that they think they are the product.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I agree with you, in regards to NIL money is not the same as just giving money to someone, which is why I’m pushing back on the idea that wanting NIL money makes them entitled.

I think it is confusing to people that they are using NIL when the money is not for NIL rights. If you look at it and think it's NIL money, then yes, it's basically just giving them money. But NIL is the cover for paying athletes to commit and then to not transfer.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I think a way to make this more transparent is just to have a public auction. I mean it’s currently a private auction. If it’s public people will know what they’re paying for.

An auction? For people? We might wanna workshop this idea a little.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Nothing wrong with your point of view, especially if you are continuing to give to the Bulldog Club. The key is to give....somewhere.

Ignore the outrage from others.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I misread your earlier post. You raise an interesting question. This money is clearly earned income to the players, it is not a gift. In a true NIL situation, the company paying would issue the 1099 and deduct the expense. Now there's a middleman. The BDI better be issuing 1099s. But who, if anyone, gets the deduction?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I misread your earlier post. You raise an interesting question. This money is clearly earned income to the players, it is not a gift. In a true NIL situation, the company paying would issue the 1099 and deduct the expense. Now there's a middleman. The BDI better be issuing 1099s. But who, if anyone, gets the deduction?
If BDI is a non-profit, then there's no reason to get a deduction, right? They didn't pay tax on the revenue, but the player (employee/contract labor/whatever) pays tax. I guess the 1099 is just a paperwork exercise?

And yeah I'd think it's clearly earned income, and there needs to be a service done. But I highly doubt anyone can ever trace that paper trail.

One other thing I'm thinking - these deals aren't nearly as big as people think they are.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think you're right. It all comes down to how BDI was set up. If the donations are taxable, the payments are probably deductible. If not, then there is no deduction for anyone. I can't see any donor being able to argue it's a deductible business expense.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I guess I don’t see the difference in giving your hard earned money to an athlete vs your hard earned money to someone making 5 million dollars a year. I do have a question. All of these coaches that we have paid millions of dollars to over that last 30 years, have any of them given back to the university? Players give back to the university, become ambassadors, become coaches in the high school ranks, etc. Ex coaches move on to their next school and do nothing for the university unless they whine and ***** for 10 years then they come back and cough on baseball radio broadcast.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
An auction? For people? We might wanna workshop this idea a little.

I laughed…each time I read this.

Oddly enough, I was thinking this is nothing but a modern gladiator type system. Instead of the athletes fighting, they’re playing sports. I guess society accepts it more willingly since there is less blood shed.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think you're right. It all comes down to how BDI was set up. If the donations are taxable, the payments are probably deductible. If not, then there is no deduction for anyone. I can't see any donor being able to argue it's a deductible business expense.
How would it work for a true charitable organization? Those donors get a tax break, so does that mean that the charity's payments are then deductible for whoever they give the money to? Or do they pay a gift tax?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I laughed…each time I read this.

Oddly enough, I was thinking this is nothing but a modern gladiator type system. Instead of the athletes fighting, they’re playing sports. I guess society accepts it more willingly since there is less blood shed.
And - it's actually fun for the players and they get tangible things from doing it. Whether it's scholarships or money. No one is forcing them to be there like they were doing in the Roman Empire.

So - that entitled guilt-induced comparison doesn't really hold water. It's emotional garbage.

patdog

May 28, 2007
For a true charity, the donor gets a tax deduction, but the charity doesn't pay tax on its revenues or get a deduction for its expenses (it does file an information return showing the revenues & expenses). It's a net outflow for the IRS.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
For a true charity, the donor gets a tax deduction, but the charity doesn't pay tax on its revenues or get a deduction for its expenses (it does file an information return showing the revenues & expenses). It's a net outflow for the IRS.
So I finally read up on BDI and they are an LLC, so my earlier question is dumb.

On the advice of legal experts and financial advisors, our organization is structured as a Mississippi limited liability company. Given this structure, payments are not tax-deductible nor considered a charitable donation. We do, however, work with business owners and their tax professionals to create marketing programming that would allow them to consider claiming their investments as a marketing expense. We recognize the importance of accommodating charitable giving to support The Bulldog Initiative, and we are in the process of examining a 501c3 charitable component.
So I guess they pay just like anyone else. I guess the players are contract labor rather than employees? And how long before an LLC has to actually make money? Considering the whole purpose of it is to funnel money to contract labor. Weird.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
And - it's actually fun for the players and they get tangible things from doing it. Whether it's scholarships or money. No one is forcing them to be there like they were doing in the Roman Empire.

So - that entitled guilt-induced comparison doesn't really hold water. It's emotional garbage.

Aren’t they forced to go to class and “progress” for now

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
But if the charity gives money to an individual don’t they pay taxes on that?

If it is less than 10,000.00 the IRS may never know about it. Off subject as our NIL initiative goes I believe it is being set up wrong. It should be set up as a true foundation and any athlete it pays, is paid as a employee. Foundation can hire who ever they want and pay them what ever they want. They can accept donations from who ever they want and those donations might be deductible to the contributor. Obviously there will be pay roll tax but it will be done correctly. I just don't think the Government is going to let the NIL fly like it is set up now. They are hungry for money. I imagine that some of the NIL money out there is a true business expense. These athletes are probably doing promotional, advertainment for these business. That is what the NIL is for. I don't think the Supreme Court intended to happen what is happening. I truly believe it will be shorted out by some government agency. IRS cannot make laws but they do have authority to make rules.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If it is less than 10,000.00 the IRS may never know about it. Off subject as our NIL initiative goes I believe it is being set up wrong. It should be set up as a true foundation and any athlete it pays, is paid as a employee. Foundation can hire who ever they want and pay them what ever they want. They can accept donations from who ever they want and those donations might be deductible to the contributor. Obviously there will be pay roll tax but it will be done correctly. I just don't think the Government is going to let the NIL fly like it is set up now. They are hungry for money. I imagine that some of the NIL money out there is a true business expense. These athletes are probably doing promotional, advertainment for these business. That is what the NIL is for. I don't think the Supreme Court intended to happen what is happening. I truly believe it will be shorted out by some government agency. IRS cannot make laws but they do have authority to make rules.
Where did you get the 10K figure?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login